Is studying abroad a good idea?

I want to study medicine abroad, like in Europe. Spain is my favorite one, germany comes second. (I kind of know how to speak spanish). Everyone says it's a bad idea because I'll miss my family and it will be hard and blabla, so I'm not sure anymore. Also, in Canada, we have one of the highest needed GPA to get in medical school.

The max is 40, and they barely accept 34. Even if you get accepted with a 34, you need to ACE the interview.

I want to learn Spanish fully, i want to travel and i certainly want to move away from where I live (canada). (it's too cold and no sun. No sun gets me depressed. My province has the highest level of depression.) Anyway!
Thoughts?

(picture is spain) Is studying abroad a good idea??Is studying abroad a good idea??

• Stay in Canada.
  • Study abroad!
  • Other
    Vote C

1427

Most Helpful Guy

• My advice is to decide from the get-go how long you will stay. And then commit to staying for the duration. Because you can get very lonely when you move away from everyone you know, and it can be very tempting to throw in the towel and go back home. It takes time to get close to new people. So be patient, and make the effort to get to know new people in the new place. Socialize. And find someone to study with. The new social bonds you develop will be your greatest asset, and they may have useful knowledge on how stuff works in the country. But by all means go for it!

• Even if the experience isn't great, you will feel better about yourself for completing it, than if you go home early.

Of course, if you really struggle, seek help!

• 5d

Thanks for MHO :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Study Abroad!! Some graduate students I know that studied abroad all said they had fun and the educational experience was worth it. We recently had a study abroad interest event, and the best thing I can tell you is view all of your study abroad programs and location options first. Some colleges may offer what you want to study abroad for and some don’t, and one program may offer more than the other. Also, be mindful of if financial aid will transfer with you when you study abroad. Best of luck to ya 😊

What Guys Said 26

• Studying abroad is a great idea. Not only does it help you after school you will meet new people and make friends possibly from other nations. After school is over you can get a job and settle down and you know the rest. "They lived happily ever after!"

• I'd say that taking the opportunity to live in another country for a while - even if it's only a short time - is definitely not to be missed. That said, if you're planning on studying medicine, you need to be really on the ball and there are serious language considerations to think of. Even if you can find a university that primarily teaches in English, a lot of practical experience will require you to have an in-depth knowledge of the local language. Kinda knowing Spanish doesn't really cut it for the terminology unfortunately unless you're prepared to put in a serious amount of effort in the run-up to and on top of your studies. That's not even getting into other concerns like adapting to the local food and culture.

If you really want to do it, don't let that put you off though. That sort of experience in another country isn't really to be missed. Just be aware as you go into it how much work it will be.

• Studying abroad in Spain would be the perfect crash course in learning the language quickly. I say follow your dreams. Stay smart and manage your finances and you will do great! Good luck!

• Most European universities offer some courses in English, even in Spain and Germany, to encourage people from other parts of the EU and the UK to go to their university. Another bonus is that it's free. For the classes you can't take in English, they would be a great way to learn the language. Full immersion.

• Study abroad indeed. I'm from France, and being in Quebec right now is awesome, mostly because it force me to do stuff I'm not used to.

• You will be a better/strong person, can make lots of new friends. you will get to know who you are. If I'm you Spain will be in the bottom of the list. Its economy is shit and unemployment is insane choose colleges carefully if you want to study in Spain. Germany is great place I been there but end up moving to france anyway.

• Study abroad!

• Studying abroad is such a hot idea!

It will be such a great adventure for you

• Study abroad! I am opting for Germany this September..

• u need to see the world it changes ur perspective

• Stay in Canada.

• Can you handle the financial aspects? Because it sounds fun and all. But it isn't cheap.

• I like the idea of doing a semester abroad. Especially if you want to work abroad.

• Just go, it'd be exciting journey

• That's depend on you because nobody left the country... Every one face this problem

• If you want to then go ahead, it's your life and you have the power to make your own decisions. Spain is cool, go study there if you want to! You only have one life :)

• Honestly I would not. Spain has problems.

• Sure do it for the adventure. Just be careful.

• Just do it. EZ PZ.

• Real people do what they want to do ;)

• Yeah get out of that frozen shithole with the intrusive government.

• Study abroad because even syria is better than Canada.

• Stay in Canada

• Girls study abroad so they can be cum buckets and fuck a load of random guys, come home and the cute, good quality guys won't know. Perfect plan really because most girls need a phase where they let 50 guys fuck them over 4 years or so, before they settle for a good guy.

• Hey, fuck off

• Well then let me be a cumbucket to my 50 future partners in Europe.

• Yes, that's what very girls dreams of and most follow through

• I’d rather study a broad

• anywhere but america. america sucks right now

What Girls Said 13

• Go for it! Family can always visit, and you shouldn’t spend the rest of your life feeling stuck and miserable when you could’ve followed your dream.

• My stepsister studies abroad and has last semester too. She loves it! If you like traveling and experiencing new cultures this is it for you.

• Today, It is Always good to think Twice about how Nice.
    However, If you are Hell-bent on going Abroad to Study Here, Dear... Be safe.
    Good Luck. xx

• It's a great experience and really expands your knowledge. Go 100%

• Yes, sounds like a good experience. I definitely would if I had the chance.

• Go for it you can always go home

• Most people in my country (Romania) who want to study aboard go to UK. So I guess it's pretty ok there... just saying

• Spain isn’t that great as in that picture. Germany is better.

• Study abroad if you want... but your reasons are really shallow.

• I'll probably never have the chance to study abroad due to money. But go ahead and have fun.

• I wouldn't venture to another country, maybe to another province.

• Stay in Canada. Canada is way better than spain. You can go for master degree abroad later. but for licence stay in your country.

• I think it is a great idea.