Do you use Duolingo for learning new languages?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• After seeing all of these replies, no one has suggested other methods to supplement Duolingo

0|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • There's so many free sources :)

• You can also download tandem or hellotalk to speak with french natives. Make a new friend, try to video chat at least 1 hour a week.

• No, but I've heard good things about it.

I bought a text book and studied it and listened to the CD's with it, I watched youtube videos of lessons and translated conversations, "Easy" have lots of great videos... search your language as: Easy French or Easy German or Easy Spanish for example. They translate real, on the street conversations and give you the translation in English and in the other language. I checked out all the Pimsleur Language CD's at the library and burned my own copies and listened to it while driving and I joined a conversation group that meets weekly and we talk in that language. They all speak highly of Duolingo.

What language are you interested in?

1|0
    0|0
    • Good advice

• Show All
    • These are good to study because you hear it in normal conversation and you can read the translation. I used to study these videos in my language. I'd pause it and look up words that were new to me and I didn't know and I'd go through it several times pausing it looking up words, seeing how the sentences and ideas were expressed in that language and I'd be slowly teaching my ears to understand it. After going through it several times pausing it and breaking it down I'd then start listening to it from start to finish and I'd spend several days becoming fluent in that video.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlOXYhv1sZw

• Thank you so much for this ^^
      :)

Most Helpful Girls

• hm.. no, I'd prefer some online lessons in YouTube

1|1
    1|0
    • Would you suggest me some YT French lessons?

• There is this site for french lessons, I think it was some guy explaining how to learn faster the words by comparing them to English ones, I think was Mathew Thomas 🤔 maybe can find it if Google Mathew Thomas french lessons

• I use Rosetta stone but thanks for the new app. Sweet.

0|0
    0|0
    • Rosetta stone? how is this web/app? would u tell me more about it?

• Show All
    • If Rosetta works for you, great! But I have my complaints. It's not worth my money, I've found free sources to help me way easier

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 25

• I use Duolingo and Busuu. Duolingo is nice because it’s free, but there is a lot of interaction with Busuu. I use the apps in the summer in between my language courses, so the material stays fresh in my mind. I study German at college.

0|1
    0|0
  • It could definitely do with some other languages though, I'd kill to learn Finnish. Afrikaans would be nice too. My native language is Ukrainian but the lessons sound like my mom is giving them and they strange formal Ukrainian. My favorite language there is German. It desperately needs to add slang sections though!

0|0
    0|0
    • haha that's great! :D

• They really do need to add Finnish. I would also love to learn it. And so many people on the polls said they wanted it (I wonder why they haven't started developing it but have do so with less popular lessons)

• It's only good for learning vocabulary to be honest. To actually learn a language, a simple app doesn't cut it

0|1
    0|0
    • yep that's true... do you know how one can learn a whole new language? speaking and writing both?

• I used to… I learned 6 languages thanks to duolingo, not perfect but good enough to have a nice conversation and keep on learning… but I stopped using it since they changed a good system for one that doesn't works as it should

0|0
    0|0
    • Are there any other apps that you recommend that have a better system?

• Show All
    • @achezc That's really good information ^^ thank you so much :)

• yeah, thanks

• I used to use Duolingo till I found what I would say is note efficient (Memrise); although, I think using Duolingo and Memrise could he productive because they're slightly different in the way they're set out but you'll see words more and more often. Therefore will become more confident

0|0
    0|0
  • An even better app is called Tandem, you can chat with people from other countries to practice.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's great! well that feature is in the duolingo app too there are clubs there ^^

• Yes I use it to learn common expressions when visiting a new place. I doubt you can become proficient in a language with it alone

0|0
    0|0
    • Yea same here... it'll take a lot of time and effort to learn a whole new language by using duolingo alone

• Yes but it's not the only thing I use. Learning any language, it's best to use different methods. If you use only one app you'll be limited

0|0
    0|0
    • What other sources do you use?

• Rosetta Stone, I "talk" to someone through WhatsApp with the audio feature. I am learning Russian and I speak to someone in Russia on WhatsApp. I found Rosetta Stone very good for learning good pronunciation. But where it fails is it teaches you a bunch of things you don't need before you even learn basic words

• oooh thanks for the information :)

• I used it for learning the basic vocabulary but it only goes so far. I use Rosetta Stone Now

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I learned Spanish in 7th and 8th grade and high school and i was DONE after that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I use Babbel although a better/ cheaper alternative is welcome?

0|0
    0|0
  • I speak and write fluently in Russian an German I know Arabic an Chinese an push from Afghanistan

0|0
    0|0
  • Tried it. Didn't continue

0|0
    0|0
  • I have. I need to get back on it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Never knew. I'll try.

0|0
    0|0
  • What is that?