Do you use Duolingo for learning new languages?

• Yes
  • No

1827

Most Helpful Guys

• After seeing all of these replies, no one has suggested other methods to supplement Duolingo

• There's so many free sources :)

• You can also download tandem or hellotalk to speak with french natives. Make a new friend, try to video chat at least 1 hour a week.

• No, but I've heard good things about it.

I bought a text book and studied it and listened to the CD's with it, I watched youtube videos of lessons and translated conversations, "Easy" have lots of great videos... search your language as: Easy French or Easy German or Easy Spanish for example. They translate real, on the street conversations and give you the translation in English and in the other language. I checked out all the Pimsleur Language CD's at the library and burned my own copies and listened to it while driving and I joined a conversation group that meets weekly and we talk in that language. They all speak highly of Duolingo.

What language are you interested in?

• Good advice

• These are good to study because you hear it in normal conversation and you can read the translation. I used to study these videos in my language. I'd pause it and look up words that were new to me and I didn't know and I'd go through it several times pausing it looking up words, seeing how the sentences and ideas were expressed in that language and I'd be slowly teaching my ears to understand it. After going through it several times pausing it and breaking it down I'd then start listening to it from start to finish and I'd spend several days becoming fluent in that video.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlOXYhv1sZw

• Thank you so much for this ^^
      :)

Most Helpful Girls

• hm.. no, I'd prefer some online lessons in YouTube

• Would you suggest me some YT French lessons?

• There is this site for french lessons, I think it was some guy explaining how to learn faster the words by comparing them to English ones, I think was Mathew Thomas 🤔 maybe can find it if Google Mathew Thomas french lessons

• I use Rosetta stone but thanks for the new app. Sweet.

• Rosetta stone? how is this web/app? would u tell me more about it?

• If Rosetta works for you, great! But I have my complaints. It's not worth my money, I've found free sources to help me way easier