Why would my school scold me for teaching a better way of doing something?

So, I have been a pipe welder for about 9 years now. About 3 years ago I went to my old welding school to practice welding pipe. See some students welding pipe hoping to make it big but noticed one thing that is very prevalent in the pipe welding industry is that they do not teach "Walking the cup".

I thought I would help a student and explain to him that yes free hand is required "Manual manipulation". So I asked him if he knew how to walk the cup and or if he had ever seen it. Sure enough no... I hop in his booth and then as soon as I was about to start one of the instructors pulled me out and asked me what I was doing. I told him that I was going to show him a better way at welding pipe I. e. Walking the cup etc... just so he can see the difference for him self. Sure enough the instructor did not like what I was doing. I realized this is what the problem was... they don't teach it because they don't know how to do it. Instructor stuck in teaching kids how to weld for 10 years and offering pipe welding classes thinking they are the pinnacle of skill. Yet they don't feel they need to offer alternatives that all pipe welding Professionals employ in the field. I can't find one single pipe welder in my field or job sight who does not know how to walk the cup or free hand. It's almost like if you can't walk the cup you are not a true pipe welder yet

01