How can Canadian Citizens work in the United States?

Okay so my fiance and I are Canadian. My fiance is applying for some residency programs and some of the options include moving to the states if he gets into a great program like Harvard. I am wondering how does it work for the other partner in terms of finding a job and living in the states?

From my understanding, he would be on a student visa? I would be going with him as his spouse?

Can I still apply for a job even though I will be going with him as his spouse?
Any details provided will be extremely appreciated.

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Here is the page on student visas for Canadian citizens from the U. S. embassy in Ottawa:
    https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/canadian-students/

「Canadian citizens do not need visas to study or participate in an exchange program in the U. S. However, Canadian students do need to obtain an I-20 (or DS-2019) Certificate of Eligibility from the university, school or exchange program they plan to attend.」

The "Canadians Requiring Visas" page (especially in the "information for Canadians" collapsible-/expandable-box) explains things in greater detail.
    For example:「Canadian visitors are generally granted a stay in the U. S. for up to six months at the time of entry. Requests to extend or adjust a stay must be made prior to expiry to the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. As with all foreign visitors, Canadians are reminded that U. S. law requires entrants to qualify for the desired stay and purpose of travel at the time of their initial entry. A visitor who intends to live, work, or study in the U. S. and who does not disclose this information to the Consular or CBP officer beforehand may be permanently barred from the United States.」
    https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/do-i-need-a-visa/

Contact information for the embassy and consulates in Canada are also available at the bottom-side of the page.

0|0
    0|0
  • First of all, in order for you to accompany him more than six months at a time, you have to be legally married. In that case, I believe you would be on an F-2 visa, which does not automatically allow you to work.

And if you come for 6 months, go back for a week, then come back to the US, the authorities will catch on that you should be on some kind of visa and could bar you from entering.

Depending upon your education, you may be able to get an H-1B visa.

There are also some exemptions for Canadians that allow them to work in the US without the same process as other people have to go to, but I don't know the requirements and details of that.

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice. I suggest you poke around the US government websites and ask whoever is handling his visa at the school.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• As a Canadian I've only seen the reverse cases of Americans coming to Canada and being a spouse to a foreign student gets you no rights in the reverse. Even a student visa basically only allows you to work at your school of study unless it's a practicum and a formal program. You would likely get a long term visitor visa more easily but it won't allow employment. Employment is allowed after getting a green card which is not the cheapest or easiest task.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• The way I understand it, you'll need to apply for a work Visa. But technically, you'll have to prove that you won't be displacing an American worker. So it would have to be a job that just can't be filled by Americans.

0|0
    0|0
  • It may be possible to do it as a NAFTA Professional, but you'd have to check the details and if it is even an option anymore.

0|0
    0|0
    • That's all changing right now... I wouldn't count on it for a long term option atm

• I think you'll have to go through the normal visa process. I could be wrong. Fortunately, I think it's faster & easier for Canadians than for others.

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to apply for a work visa at the US Embassy

0|0
    0|0
    • I don't know. You used to be able to, but I heard that Trump signed a bill that now denies spousal visas, so you would have to apply for a separate visa.

• If you are legally entitled to live here, you are legally entitled to employment.

1|0
    0|0
    • You are incorrect.

Non-resident visas do not necessarily allow one to be employed.

• Show All
    • In fact, the IRS even requires illegal aliens to pay taxes if they earn enough.

• @WalterRadio Be an ignorant douchebag if you want. I'm done with you. I think I'll text one of my Canadian employees and laugh about you.

• Illegals do it all the time

0|1
    0|0
  • Why live in the US? It sucks here.

0|2
    0|1
  • You have to apply for a visa

0|0
    0|0
  • look up the internet

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes you shouldn't have any problem

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• I think you might have to talk to someone who can actually help you immigrate over I don't know how much this site can do unless we happen to have some immigration lawyers or something I don't know about

0|0
    0|0
  • A question better asked of the immigration officials.

0|2
    0|0
  • Apply for a work visa or a green card through Immigration and Customs.

1|0
    0|0
  • Work visa?

0|0
    0|0
    • Or just sneak in, it works so well for the Mexicans, and they get benefits on top of it

• Canadians tend to not ignore laws like Mexicans do.

Recommended myTakes