Do you regret going to college?

I do. Cause now I owe so much money and tired of dealing with the loan people every year having to tell them I dont make enough to pay then going through a dumb ass process😭 just to have NO career. I feel like college is a scam, its overpriced. Do you regret going to college?
Updates:
I'm very proficient in school and my major was nursing. I was going to be an R. N.
I did not finish college I dropped out folks!

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Not at all. I made the most out of what I've learned throughout my entire education, not just college & post-graduate studies. All debts that I've incurred during college & post-grad school have been paid off as soon I landed my first job which I acquired because of the university guidance counselor's strong recommendations. Higher education was probably the best gift I've received and given to myself. I reaped the rewards much more than I hoped for. I'm more than ready to retire but am just afraid of getting bored that I'm resorting to spending time on GAG. Lol.

2|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I do not regret going to college at all. However, I was in college some time ago, and it wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now! My loan payments were easy to handle. Things are much different now.

1|1
    0|0
  • I passed top of my class and still didn't get the job I trained for but owed loans. College can be a scam. There is no guarantee you will get the job you trained for.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• If you choose a decent major with a profitable field, and finish, then it isn't a waste of time. Honestly, the things you learn in college, you can learn anywhere else on the Web because people have uploaded or submitted answers, tips and their own knowledge that is creditable regarding said topic. My major was computer science, and when i say everything that I "learned" in class, I already knew beforehand because I was curious enough to research on my own.
    As for things like medical field and such, you actually need to go through college because I do not condone learning on the internet how to diagnose complicated issues. It just isn't wise. All in all, it really depends on what you go to school for and what you plan on doing with the degree
    (assuming you graduate).
    Personally, i don't regret going to college. I had a life changing experience and met some great people. A few of which have become good friends and we keep in contact often (usually 3-10x a week). Class was a pain, but it isn't supposed to be a joy usually because it's basically a job you don't want to do. Class aside, the social aspect was something i needed greatly and it helped sculpt me into a better me.

0|0
    1|0
    • I was at iupui and a lot of people seem stuck up. Or only interested in they already established clicks. I liked learning but didn't like college especially iupui. It was boring. Ball state was much better in my opinion

• But if I knew what I know now. I would've never gone. Worst mistake ever. I'm tired of having to go through the process every year to avoid paying. It's annoying as shit

• Don't get me wrong now; I'm not saying school was fun or I'm glad that I went. I just don't regret. And whatever those places, just sound like my high school experiences lol.
      You should try to get your loans consolidated. Make sure you're up to date with payments and consolidating should help make payments easier and more affordable. I was fortunate enough to have a mostly free ride in college. The loans I had to pay back weren't too bad and I could afford them with the job I got out of college. Everyone has different experiences and it's all a learning experience in the end. We all experience and learn to adapt, or rather we are supposed to adapt after learning.

• It depends on the level of demand for your degree, and what you can do with it. Some people get these "useless" degrees, but still manage to get it together, like starting a business.

When I was trying to pick a major, I basically looked at which were in highest demand.
    If you want to become an engineer, scientist, doctor, teacher, accountant... etc. etc. You have to go to college. Otherwise, I think it's a waste of time and money.

1|0
    0|0
  • Couldn't you get them forgiven, canceled, or discharged? I read that you would need a disability to get it forgiven but there are also other circumstances in which they could be forgiven aswell. Not sure if you have looked into that?

1|0
    0|0
    • I didn't have the money at the time to get forgiven

• You have to pay to get it forgiven? What's the point of getting them forgiven if u gotta pay? The point of doing that is because you dont have money to pay them back... hmmmπŸ€”

• I went to college simply because I didn't know what else to do. I dropped out after a semester and never regretted it. I now have a job making 80k with only a high school diploma.

On a side note I worked at a group home shortly after I dropped out and most of my coworkers were in a government program that paid a big part of their college debt as long as they worked there for 2 years. Some sort of community service program. Might be something to look into.

1|0
    0|0
  • College is a scam I got out of college with an IT degree only to be told "you don't have the experience nesessary, and you don't have certifications in XYZ so we don't want you"

1|0
    0|0
    • This would only mean that u probably cheated on most of your exams and did the bare minimum to get your degree. You know something but you don't really know anything. Am I right or am I right?

• I know. College is too much desk sitting. Companies care more about work experience

• I’m about to graduate soon in a few months. My college has provided me opportunities and hands on learning. Most of my tuition is paid for by scholarships. When I leave, I won’t owe a lot. With my regular jobs, I can pay the rest off in less than a year. And I’m okay with that. So no, I don’t think I’ll be regretting anything when I leave.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've Heard About College In America From My Sister And It Sounds Just Like A Scam Lol Where I Live Our College Is Your High School And Our University Is Your College. And I Worked And Went So I Dont Have Debt Now And Earn Above Average Yearly Now So For Me It Was A Smart Move To Attend UNI.

1|0
    0|0
  • I want to be an attorney so I need to go, but a lot of people get duped into going just because they've been told they have to do so. They get degrees that are almost useless or get a couple of years in and cannot do it. Many end up with enormous debt that cannot normally be erased even in bankruptcy. Student loan debt is one of the few things for which Social Security is attachable.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes I found I out I make more money working in another field the the one I went to school for,

1|0
    0|0
    • Trade school is cheaper and u can live a really good life. Also truck driving and all u need is an high school diploma

• Show All
    • I went to a trade school for Screen Print and Design. I got a internship. I have that I earn my apprenticeship card. That took two years. I just earned my Journeymen's cards. and I lost my job because they switch over to robots. No one hire me. The small companies don't want a pro. So I was down out and broke

• I'm very glad that I went to college and have a career. But that doesn't mean it's best for everyone, and it certainly doesn't mean someone should go to an expensive college, and go way into debt. Also, it's a good idea to get a degree in something where you can get a job, otherwise, it can be an extreme financial drag for years, getting the student loans paid off.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t, but I finished the degree (though changed discipline multiple times)

Your experience isn’t so unusual sadly. The people struggling the most with student debt are actually not the people with the most debt (who typically finished advanced degrees) but rather people who don’t graduate.

How far did you get in your degree?

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t. Sure, the job I’m in now is nothing to do with what I studied, and it did take me a lot of money and my mental health took a pretty severe blow whilst I was at uni, but I did still enjoy the actual learning experience. It was tough and I’m not really sure it was worth it but I still don’t regret it

0|0
    0|0
  • College in the UK yes its very different from in the US. I had lots of fun and made good friends by the end of it but I'd had preferred if I'd just gotten a apprenticeship straight after school and didn't bother with college it's a big waste of time

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have a job now but I'm glad that I finished college and I don't regret it. There are many people out there who wants to go to college but they can't for different reasons. If there is anything you should do is be proud of yourself and grateful for being able to go to college. It may not be easy for everyone but it's never a bad choice.

0|0
    0|0
  • Although in India government collages are quite cheaper but private colleges are costly and few are too costly but higher education is good I guess I mean those who likes it well can't saw about other countries and study loans are quite easy here after you finish your studies you can pay back when you get your job

0|0
    0|0
  • The higher education is free for the geniuses. Those with high grades. If you can't make a tuition/sponsorship for the college it's just not for you. No wonder you can't make the bills paid.

0|0
    0|0
    • U have to apply for those things. I had a 3.7 in college, and 3.5 when I graduated from high school (really shouldve been higher then that but my hating ass language arts teacher gave me a C).

• Show All
    • Bottom line: high school grades aren't an accurate description of someone's intelligence.

• @MarkTheory yeah, the shovel of bux is. I've got one.

• So far, no. I don't really enjoy it a lot but it's alright. In the end, I probably have like 30k debt, which is manageable. I do know that I do get immediate access to the graduate program here (comparable unis are around number 50 of the world) with like a 5.5/10, which is like a GPA of 2

0|0
    0|0
  • I have learn lot about myself in college. It was good. Only thing that I did regret is being in relationship in college. Cause lot of drama. I am happy that give me experience with relationships. Now I am good.

1|0
    0|0
  • I do regret it. i was at a community college spinning my wheels for over 4 years deciding what i wanted to do, i wasted over $15,000 of my parents money. I ended up going into a trade. I'm so much more happy. I'm currently a plumber.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a waste of money or my time.
    Yes loans suck took me 10 years to pay off.
    I did not like the studies and flunked everything.

1|0
    0|0
  • It was a waste for me... I make the same as my colleagues who barely have a high school diploma and getting a job in the field makes no difference.

1|0
    0|0
  • No point regretting nothing can b done. Best just move on. But one thing is true college is not worth the price they charge

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't regret what I learned there but I regret the fact it took so much time away from my life.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, but I use my degree for work and I didn't go into debt to do it. If I had $100,000 of debt I might feel differently about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • But what did you study that's the key here not what you owe.

0|0
    0|0
    • Nursing... wanted to be a registered nurse

• Show All
    • Yawns* there's people that didn't do none of that and millionaires. News flash dumb ass ure not special ure just a common worker like everybody else. Your tax brack just different. I still regret going to college

• Yeah but they also have a good grasp of the English language and are able to string a coherent sentence together and don't justify their failure as a disguise for something else they take account of that learn from it and do better next time. You on the other hand seem to be more content to sit on your arse blaming the world because you can't be mature enough to take responsibility for your own mistakes. Grow up your behaving like nothing more than a petulant child with an entitlement complex.

• I do. I should have chosen paleontology instead of programming.
    But I'm lucky in Europe college is cheap.

1|0
    0|0
  • Don't think the knowledge u got from college is a waste tho, just blame the government and the ruling system

0|0
    0|0
    • College is ran by social justice warriors and liberals. It's not what it used to be.

• It all depends on the major you pick, if you went with an arts degree, psychology, language, music, history, geography etc. it sure was a waste of time and money.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really. But I managed to get out of it with no debt.
    I regretted not doing a more readily employable degree though.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I make good money and the friends I made in college are cool

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a one-way trip
    Take it all or don't join it

You shouldn't have dropped, bad decision haha

0|0
    0|0
    • Not for me it wasn't. My mental health will always be more important. i was undergoing tremendous stress and family issues

• Show All
    • Damn... Sorry to hear that :/

In my opinion, I think going back to college is your best bet
      Not just for success, but also an effecient way to get rid of the loans

Have you went to a psychiatrist before? Any conditions?

• Nope I haven't. It's too much on my plate I'm a single mom

• No, it is free here unless you exams

1|0
    0|0
  • Declare bankruptcy. Donald Trump's did it a few times and he is living well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah. Best part of my life.

1|0
    1|0
  • No, I’m happy I’m almost done though.

0|0
    0|0
  • My perents paid my fees

1|0
    1|0
  • You would have a career if you actually finished..

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope I do not

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's helped me a lot

0|0
    0|0
  • Why aren't you working as an RN?

0|0
    0|0
    • I dropped out. didn't finish
      Han m

• How would you know if college is a scam if you didn't even finish?

• Because I talk to people and I do my research einstein. Nursing is high in demand so obviously not my major but a lot of majors are shitty

• I would say I regret doing to the "wrong college" rather than college itself. I'm an artist so going to something that didn't care about art, had it as a major but didn't have good courses on it was a waste of time and money. I got way better education in High school.

1|0
    0|0
  • No not really. I'm over 100k in debt but I don't regret it. Yeah they harass the hell out of me too but I ignore them for the most part. Besides living expenses, most of my money goes into my equity portfolio. If I still have some left over after hitting the montary marks I set out then I'll put that money towards loan payments.

0|0
    0|0
  • Did you attend a costly college? Or an out of district or an out of state college or Uni? Did you try to work over the summer? Did you take too much classes making your tuition high?
    Did you apply for fafsa? (Pell Grant)

I'm currently in a community college working towards my adn. all my friends want to transfer to a university to get their Bsn after taking nursing prereqs but I am not gonna do that cause I don't wanna take out loans & all those stuffs. I'm 17 and I don't mind spending 1 or 2 extra years in school to get my bachelor's degree it's better than owing a huge amount of debt.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you picked gender, art, social studies, I wouldn't be suprised that you don't have a job.

0|5
    3|0
    • Lmao judging by the dislike, we guess we know what you picked.

You can't expect to get a job when there's too many people already educated to do the work in that job. Besides the job does not require a lot of people. There's too many educated for that field which is very unimportant.

• Show All
    • I say what I want. Dont like dont reply

• Sure, go ahead. You say what you want, but there's a thing as I previously explained "Slander". Calling someone a racist is actually against the community TOS and guidelines as it's considered as harassment. It's also illegal as I said irl.

• Yes, I only went for a month because of that lol. I shouldn't have went in the first place though, I didn't want to, just did to please my parents. But I knew the debt would bother me a lot, and it did!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes