Do you think high school reunions are worth it?

I have my 10 year reunion coming up in August. I dont think I'll go though. Its 50 miles away and there's gonna be a taco bar and inflatables for the kids ( most of my classmates have kids now) Then were all supposed to go the high school football game afterwards. I dont know it just doesn't interest me.

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I haven’t been to any of mine. I went to a private high school, so people weren’t all from the same town, there were people from probably 30-40 different cities and towns. So due to that, the friendships I made in high school were almost exclusively in-school relationships. There were a handful of guys I’d see outside of school, but even then, not until junior year when we got driver’s licenses. There are probably some dudes I would have been pretty tight with, but we lived like an hour and a half from each other, haha, so I’d just see them in class, in the halls, or at practice/games for whatever team. So the relationships just weren’t that strong, I haven’t talked to anyone in nearly 20 years, other than one kid I bumped into in my mid-20s when I was bouncing at a bar, and we actually had minor beef in high school. He was all hippied out by then though, totally changed, and that was high school bullshit anyway, but still, it’s not like we started seeing each other after that, it was just like “sup, Ted”, we exchanged brief pleasantries and went about our business. So I don’t really see the point. My graduating class was maybe 400 dudes, I’m guessing 20 or less would actually show up. Happened across pics of the 10 year online once, pretty much was just “The Trenchcoat Mafia” in attendance. (That group nickname was later forever sullied by the Columbine shooters, but these guys were just dudes caught in limbo between nerd/goth/hipster, lmfao, so they just wore trench coats and Doc Marten’s while they played Magic: The Gathering in the cafeteria, but they were harmless😂) Anyway, I can say, unequivocally, that I ran with a very different crowd in high school, and I don’t think any of those guys will be there. I don’t even own a 20-sided die, I’m not sure they’d even let me in😝

0|1
    0|0
  • I've heard that the 5th, 10th, and maybe 15th year reunions aren't that good, because everybody is still full of themselves, and bragging about their accomplishments. I've never gone to any of my reunions, because the high school days were bad times for me, had very few friends, got made fun of, got bullied around sometimes, and I was very withdrawn.

For a long time, I was bitter, and refused to have anything to do with those people from long ago, but times have changed, and I have changed. We have a 45th coming up soon, and I'm going to go. We had a huge class, so there were a lot of people I never even talked to, and I regret that, but I'm going to talk to them soon, and maybe heal some old wounds.

We were advised not to hold grudges, because we've ALL changed, whatever happened was a long time ago, and most likely, if anyone has treated you shitty, they're probably now sorry for what they did, if they even remember it.

I don't know if reunions are worth it, because I've never yet been to one, but I'm looking forward to going, and maybe closing a chapter in a positive way.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• If you want to see how people have changed over the years and see old friends? Sure, go for it!

Personally I skipped my reunion: to me, reunions are just a show people use to show and brag about how good their lives are now, be nosy and check in on other people, and see what happened to the popular people, lol. That and I don't have kids, nor am I married, so outside of my job and hobbies, I wouldn't have much to talk about with my former classmates.

3|4
    0|0
  • I think a group of girls tried to organise a 7 year reunion at some bar/club. I personally thought it was a stupid idea. I didn’t go to it. A handful of people did though.

1|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• If it doesn't interest you you don't have to go, although it might be cool to see people you haven't seen in a while. I know I die even over Spring Break for lack of seeing my friends. You might want to give it a try. But if you hard core don't want to go, you don't have to.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think they are gay and for people who were such losers in high school that they feel the need to prove something to a bunch of people who are worthless drunks and women who cheat on their husbands

1|2
    1|0
  • That sounds boring af.

I’ve never gone to one. A few years back I connected with some old high school classmates that were planning a reunion. I realized I just don’t share anything in common with them anymore. Not likely I’ll ever do a reunion.

0|1
    0|0
  • Even if I didn't really have friends, I'd go to a 10 year reunion. Not saying that I'd "enjoy" it, I don't like most of them lol. But the thought of seeing the people I spent most of my teenage years with makes me nostalgic.

0|2
    0|0
  • My school tried to do a 5 year reunion which would be this year no one wanted to go so it’ll be a 10 year reunion instead. I’m still not going I talk to my best friends from high school still no need to see others.

0|2
    1|0
  • It seems like a waste of time if you ask me. My experience in high school was generally negative (largely because the most vocal people I went to school with bad mouthed me like crazy). Consequently, I have no interest in the direction their lives went. That, and I wouldn't know what to say to them at this point in my life having been out of school now for a better part of 10 years.

0|1
    1|0
  • I think you should go. I went to mines and had a blast. Its always interesting to see how others look. And going one time isn't bad. Not like you have to go to class with anybody.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if there are people you went to school with that you would like to see again.
    I don't recall ANYBODY from my school. But then, that was some 45 years ago. LOL

0|1
    1|0
  • No it's only for losers who's highlight of their life was highschool

0|4
    2|0
  • Why so many of you guys never want to see them again I dislike many of the kids I went to HS with but I would like to see if they are still alive and stuff at each reunion

0|1
    0|0
  • There's a reason I never stayed in contact I'n the first place after leaving

0|2
    0|0
  • Defiantly, especially for people who have lost touch it could spark up a friendship again, or new ones with people you weren't friends with at the time. I think I'd maybe do 10 years or even 15 years.

1|0
    0|0
  • I missed my 10 year... my 20 year and my 30 year reunions. Was only close to a couple people out of a small class.

0|1
    0|0
  • If I went to a HS I would just to show everyone how well I've aged and to gossip about my cute babies.

0|0
    0|0
    • That’s why I can’t wait... they all might have had “the best teen years” but the drugs and daddy’s money fuck you in the end

• Mine was a lot better than I thought it would be. Last minute, the official stuff got cancelled, but some had already spent money and had “work leave” so it was too late to cancel the travel plans; so we all did a pub crawl. Really informal.

Luckily, the bullies weren’t there, so it was kind of fun. I wasn’t super close with very many, so not a lot of stories...

Most of my closest friends that I would have LOVED to have seen either weren’t in my year, or lived too far away to make it (or unfortunately passed away). I got to see a friend who still lives in the area; that was fun. Overall, it was worth it to me. Had I needed to drive 3 hours away, and had I paid for the “formal” events, it probably would not have been worth it to me. But for what it was, I’m glad I went.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I would love the looks on their faces when they see how I changed.

1|1
    0|0
  • Unless you want to brag about shit i didn't find them that fun... everyone I wanted to talk to i still do and everyone else was lame

0|1
    1|0
  • Then don't go man, lol. No reason to if you don't think it'll be anything worth your while.

0|1
    0|0
  • They used to be for our parents and there generations but anymore they suck

0|1
    0|0
  • I think Facebook has eliminated any need for planned HS reunions.

1|1
    0|0
  • I doubt many of them have matured and I live far away so screw that.

0|1
    0|0
  • 5 year was 2 years coming be 10 just see what they been up to and free drinks.

0|1
    0|0
  • No , I didn't like half the people I went to school with

0|1
    1|0
  • I never went to any of mine cause i was not much into my school.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've never went to one. It's my past. I'd rather leave it in my past.

1|0
    1|0
    • Agreed I believe there is a reason high school stays in higshchool world. Hahaha

• I enjoyed mine, saw people I hadn't seen for years. Disappointed that we didn't do a 20 year.

0|1
    0|0
  • I screw my whole class. 50% of them are like idiots and fell for it. I think they will lynch me when they see me again. lol

0|0
    1|0
  • Definitely, it's a chance to meet your old friends that you would not meet otherwise because they live far from you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Had a blast at my 10th and 20th, your mileage may vary of course.

0|0
    0|0
  • Im never going to see those bullying bastards

1|5
    0|0
  • I went to mine and most people just stayed in the area after high school, kind of sad actually

0|0
    1|0
  • Depends on who you ask. Me personally, I was never crazy about it. But a high school reunion per se is not bad.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly, I would never want to in my right mind want to cross paths with someone from my past. I believe there is a reason high school is short. Its just a guidance to get you to go to college or whatever ones needs/interests are outside of graduation. I made friends with people that now I look back on if we knew each other now they'd be way down my bucket list as a friend and that I deserved better. But I wouldn't change it. The way things happen, happen for a reason. I may go to one out of curioisty where people landed up but then i'd probably just leave right after.

0|1
    1|0
  • No, better leave the past in the past

1|3
    2|0
  • I went to my ten year reunion. It was nice.

0|1
    0|0
  • I never had a reason to go to mine.

0|2
    0|0
  • my 20 passed...

0|2
    1|0
  • Nope. Wouldn't like to meet them again

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol only if your a massive success.

0|1
    2|0
  • Nope. Zero interest ever.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I'm not interested to seeing anyone again

0|1
    0|0
  • noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

0|1
    0|0
  • Oh yeah. it's always nice to catch up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Duck dat

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea if it's like 20years later

0|0
    0|0
  • I've gone. Its no big deal.

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes