Do you think high school reunions are worth it?

I have my 10 year reunion coming up in August. I dont think I'll go though. Its 50 miles away and there's gonna be a taco bar and inflatables for the kids ( most of my classmates have kids now) Then were all supposed to go the high school football game afterwards. I dont know it just doesn't interest me.

2228

Most Helpful Guys

• I haven’t been to any of mine. I went to a private high school, so people weren’t all from the same town, there were people from probably 30-40 different cities and towns. So due to that, the friendships I made in high school were almost exclusively in-school relationships. There were a handful of guys I’d see outside of school, but even then, not until junior year when we got driver’s licenses. There are probably some dudes I would have been pretty tight with, but we lived like an hour and a half from each other, haha, so I’d just see them in class, in the halls, or at practice/games for whatever team. So the relationships just weren’t that strong, I haven’t talked to anyone in nearly 20 years, other than one kid I bumped into in my mid-20s when I was bouncing at a bar, and we actually had minor beef in high school. He was all hippied out by then though, totally changed, and that was high school bullshit anyway, but still, it’s not like we started seeing each other after that, it was just like “sup, Ted”, we exchanged brief pleasantries and went about our business. So I don’t really see the point. My graduating class was maybe 400 dudes, I’m guessing 20 or less would actually show up. Happened across pics of the 10 year online once, pretty much was just “The Trenchcoat Mafia” in attendance. (That group nickname was later forever sullied by the Columbine shooters, but these guys were just dudes caught in limbo between nerd/goth/hipster, lmfao, so they just wore trench coats and Doc Marten’s while they played Magic: The Gathering in the cafeteria, but they were harmless😂) Anyway, I can say, unequivocally, that I ran with a very different crowd in high school, and I don’t think any of those guys will be there. I don’t even own a 20-sided die, I’m not sure they’d even let me in😝

• I've heard that the 5th, 10th, and maybe 15th year reunions aren't that good, because everybody is still full of themselves, and bragging about their accomplishments. I've never gone to any of my reunions, because the high school days were bad times for me, had very few friends, got made fun of, got bullied around sometimes, and I was very withdrawn.

For a long time, I was bitter, and refused to have anything to do with those people from long ago, but times have changed, and I have changed. We have a 45th coming up soon, and I'm going to go. We had a huge class, so there were a lot of people I never even talked to, and I regret that, but I'm going to talk to them soon, and maybe heal some old wounds.

We were advised not to hold grudges, because we've ALL changed, whatever happened was a long time ago, and most likely, if anyone has treated you shitty, they're probably now sorry for what they did, if they even remember it.

I don't know if reunions are worth it, because I've never yet been to one, but I'm looking forward to going, and maybe closing a chapter in a positive way.

Most Helpful Girls

• If you want to see how people have changed over the years and see old friends? Sure, go for it!

Personally I skipped my reunion: to me, reunions are just a show people use to show and brag about how good their lives are now, be nosy and check in on other people, and see what happened to the popular people, lol. That and I don't have kids, nor am I married, so outside of my job and hobbies, I wouldn't have much to talk about with my former classmates.

• I think a group of girls tried to organise a 7 year reunion at some bar/club. I personally thought it was a stupid idea. I didn’t go to it. A handful of people did though.