What is the purpose of studying mathematics?

I’ve posed this question to people I know to see what they would respond with. I’m curious at what people think on this topic.

To make sure everyone is on the same page, there’s are two big categories of math. Applied mathematics and pure mathematics.

Applied mathematics is studying math with an intended application already. This would include statistics, probability, game theory, optimization, computer learning, computer science, etc.

Pure mathematics is studying math to know more about math. This would include things like mathematical logic, abstract algebra, topology, number theory, analysis, etc.

1716

Most Helpful Girl

• Mathematics teach you logic and problem solving. You learn to take things one step at a time, you learn to focus on what's in front of you and not what could or couldn't be, you learn to rely on facts and calculating (thinking) before making assumptions.
    You learn that there might more then one way to solve a problem, or that the same problem can have different approaches or even multiple solutions.
    You learn to reaproach a problem and change your way of thinking in order to solve it, retrace your steps and find what you did wrong.
    And ultimately...

Most Helpful Guy

• Awesome question!

For me, I'm all about pure mathematics; It's abstraction, elegance, richness, beauty, perfection - it's intellectually stimulating while being visually entrancing.

When you activate your cognitive faculties and think logically, precisely, critically, and analytically, you then feel a sense of accomplishment when you finally solve a difficult question - that "Eureka!" breakthrough moment after being stuck on it for ages. It's fulfilling and rewarding in many ways 😃

• 14 d ago

Any favorites you have?

• 14 d ago

Note to self: Never hire @aa180 for any engineering projects.

*airplane explodes*
      “Oh.”
      *changes plus to minus*

• 14 d ago

Hahaha