Do you think it's better to live on campus or off campus during your first year of college?

I kind of want to live on campus but it's a lot more expensive that way.
Do you think it's better to live on campus or off campus during your first year of college?
  • On Campus
    Vote A
  • Off Campus
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I think with all the craziness I was a child concerning about dorm rooms and other crazy stuff happening, I would rather live off campus that is sponsored by the school. It's not that I can't get along with people, but not at the same time you get stuck with the wrong person how many things are going to be stolen, they're going to be inviting their sex partner, or they going to be hopping to somebody else for that, and you got to be dealing with a lot of things. And drama is one of them. So if you really want to live in a dorm, you have that option, your best to find out who do you personally know is going to go to the same College , and is willing to be with you for at least a semester. The problem is trying to live anywhere is expensive that isn't home. If you live off campus and you're not living at home you're going to be paying basic rent. That means utilities may not be included also. and it's going to be twice as expensive, especially if scholarships are not ready for you. So I suggest that you really rank up your GPA now and get out and start participating in activities so that you can be sponsored full tuition. Because I'm telling you now it gets harder as you get older. And if you're in a position like me you may not have a choice. Or else you will have to go to a community college and start there at least. Because that's exactly what I'm doing.

1|0
    0|0
  • On campus. However you have to make sure you don't party too much. There is a lot of studying to do.

1|0
    0|0
    • 1 d ago

I'm honestly not the type to go partying, at least nothing wild and crazy. Seems like a waste of time

• 1 d ago

Ah OK... Well living on campus is a great way to make friends. I am still in touch with some of the people who I met while living on campus, all these years later.

• If you can afford it, or like me, got scholarships, I highly recommend it. It's a good experience living on your own and it's the best way to meet other people. When you commute to and from classes, you really don't have the chance to chat or meet people except in class.

Oh, also you can be a resident assistant (RA). I did that my last few years of college: it covers your housing and meal plan so you don't have to pay for it! It's a headache "babysitting" grown folks, but like I said, it covers your housing and meal plan so you can't beat it if you really want to live on campus and can't afford it. Look into that option too if you can.

1|0
    0|0
    • 1 d ago

Hmm i never knew that๐Ÿค” Thanks for letting me know about that!!

• Show All
    • 1 d ago

I feel like some of the students would be annoyed by people like that๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ did it interfere with your schedule?

• 1 d ago

Oh yeah, you're not going to be everyone's friend, especially when I had to write someone up for doing something stupid (like breaking curfew, drinking alcohol in the dorm, having candles in their room, etc). But you're just doing your job! I learned not to "police" the dorm and know what battles to fight: basically let minor things go and don't go looking for trouble, or people would hate you. We had a few RAs learn that the hard way, and the residents hated them so much, one guy got his car egged, they would pick on him...

As for my schedule? Nah. I still attended classes, studying: you're not stuck at the dorm all the time. The hardest part of my job was the beginning and end of the semester when students checked in. During the actual semester- easy. Like I said, you're basically just a babysitter and people really don't bother you unless something breaks or they get locked out of their rooms, lol. Otherwise it's really not that bad. I would not recommend you do it your first semester on campus because you won't know what to expect. I would say if you can, live in the dorms at least a year as just a resident and then apply your sophomore year

• Stay at home your first year if you can !! You will save so much more money. I stayed off campus my first year and saved $7,000. Iโ€™m moving on campus In July.

1|0
    0|0
    • 1 d ago

Okay if I choose to go to USF or UF then I can stay home or with my aunt that lives in Tallahassee

I was just worried about missing out on social activities and having to continuously travel back and forth from home to campus

• Show All
    • 1 d ago

Yea u have a point. there's a lot more u can spend with 7000 dollars too. Did you go to a school in ur home state or in another state?

• 1 d ago

Home state. Itโ€™s about 35-40 minutes away

• Off.
    If you are going to college the best thing to do is try to Buy a home that will last throughout years.
    Ways you could do this as like dorm life is would be to Buy a home but rent out rooms and such.
    Have friends move in with you.
    That way you can rent it out and have some income from it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Im most likely going to live off campus since living in the dorm is a lot more $$... So yeah...

1|0
    0|0
    • 1 d ago

U could save money and get a bunch of scholarships to help pay for some stuff. Go to fastweb if u haven't already heard of it. They blow my email up with scholarships like ALL the time.

• 1 d ago

Ahh oki thanks for the info
      I've received 1 scholarship from my school so far... But thanks again Ashley ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

• 1 d ago

Ur welcome!

• I say home is better
    Dont wanna be surrounded by a bunch of idiots lol
    However if you wanna experience living alone with a room mate and all that, which i do understand

Then of course on campus lol. Enjoy ๐Ÿ˜›

1|0
    0|0
  • We had to live on campus the first two years, mandatory. But it was a great experience, thatโ€™s where I met most of my tightest friends who have lasted to this day๐Ÿ‘

1|0
    0|0
  • I live off campus and pay less rent for my flat than my friends who live on campus but only have one room to themselves

1|0
    0|0
  • Off, I would feel uncomfortable and maybe not even do as good studying, since I'm worried about my surroundings lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Really whatever the hell you want. You feel so much pressure all around during those times so just what you want and can afford of course

1|0
    0|0
  • On campus. I met a lot of my closest friends dorming. It forces you to get involved and statistics show that you have a much higher chance of graduating if you live on campus.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on you! I wish I was on campus during undergrad but I hated being at home because itโ€™s dysfunctional. But I saved a lot! If I had to redo it Iโ€™d leave... I told my brother to leave he starts this August.

1|0
    0|0
  • Either way it's easy enough to get into trouble. I do think right out of high school there still needs to be some accountability for first year students.

1|0
    0|0
  • Definitely on campus, everyone their fist year gets friends or a friend group and you may feel left out your second year.

1|0
    0|0
  • I lived off in my first year and moved on later,
    I still regret it till this day
    On campus is much better

1|0
    0|0
  • Off. It's more private and comfortable, but you gotta have money to live on your own.

1|0
    0|0
  • I lived on campus, near the auditorium due to the most important exams in the beginning

1|0
    0|0
  • I lived on campus my first semester in a dorm, and my second semester in a sorority. I definitely recommend it, as it is an easy way to get acquainted with the college lifestyle and to meet new friends. I had a friend who lived off campus, but she is moving on campus our second year as it is easier. Not only does she not have to worry about ride when she's got classes or wants to stay out and party, but she also feels that she missed out on a lot of the little moments that came from living with friends in a dorm.

1|0
    0|0
  • On campus unless you can live at home.

1|0
    0|0
    • 1 d ago

You miss out on a lot of social activities as a freshman if you are off campus

• 1 d ago

Yeah that's why I want to live on campus for my first year at least. I really don't wanna be home all the time.

• There is no place like home ๐Ÿก

1|0
    0|0
  • On campus the first year ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‡

1|0
    0|0
  • On campus

1|0
    0|0
  • On campus is too mich money

1|0
    0|0
  • home.

campus is full of dumbass humans.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think itโ€™d be fun to live on campus

1|0
    0|0
  • I stay at home because I live near college

1|0
    0|0
  • On campus they take care of you

1|0
    0|0
  • The best option is to not attend college

0|0
    0|2
  • Dorms suck.

0|0
    0|0
    • 1 d ago

Oh Yea, but if you've got a girl staying along with you in that dorm... Then that's a different story. If you know what I mean ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚

• You can make more friends on campus and then once you have your "pack" you can move out with them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Do not use On campus school housing. You have absolutely no rights like a normal tenant will and it cost more. If your home is too far away look for some cheap apartments off campus it will be cheaper and also you have Tenant rights.

For example in the dorm they can come in there with no notice any time they want. If you're leasing a real apartment they have to give you 48 hour notice.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes