How did you learn a new language?

Anonymous
Ever since I could remember I was always obsessed with learning and speaking different languages, even as a kid I learned Pig Latin and created a couple Languages myself. Once I got older, I took American Sign Language in High School and fell in love with it. It is now my senior year of college and I’m finally fluent in American sign language, but I am now starting to have a change of heart. I would like to learn a speaking language and move to a different country to teach English and have some new world experiences. From what you have read so far you know I’m a college student so the cheaper the better, so I am teaching myself.

I have already purchased a couple books and Rosetta Stone online, my plan was to start with the writing part first for like 2 months and also learn some basic everyday words, after that I will dig deeper into more phrases and grammar etc. my first semester is almost coming to a close and I plan to take my spring semester off and not start back again till the next fall. That is 7-8 months away from school and that is including summer, so I will be living in my parent’s beach house in FL by myself so no distractions! So, my plan is to learn 8 hours a day every single day for 8 months. How far do you guys think I can get in that span of time? I know it depends on the language, but I think I should be able to have a basic everyday convo by at the end of the 8 months. What do you think of this plan and what are some tips and study ideas you did to learn a language?

How did you learn a new language?
How did you learn a new language?
14
6