Why do people stay unemployed instead of at least getting a minimum wage job if they’re struggling?

Okay so I’ve been wondering about this for a minute. I watched a video where these people were trying to win $1000 or something and they asked everyone why they think they deserve the money. This one guy said he lost his job so he’s been unemployed for a few months and his husband has been paying all the bills and they’ve been struggling.
What I don’t get is, why not get a crappy minimum wage job for now? Obviously something like McDonald’s isn’t a career but if you’re struggling THAT much, fast food income is better than NO income, right? I make minimum wage and I get like $400 a week. Which isn’t a lot but I’m still able to pay my half of the bills.
so why not get a crappy job temporarily instead of being completely broke? Then quit once you find a better job

(and obviously it’s way harder to find jobs right now because of the pandemic, so let’s pretend corona doesn’t exist right now because I’m just generally speaking lol)
Why do people stay unemployed instead of at least getting a minimum wage job if they’re struggling?
Add Opinion