Why do people stay unemployed instead of at least getting a minimum wage job if they’re struggling?

Okay so I’ve been wondering about this for a minute. I watched a video where these people were trying to win $1000 or something and they asked everyone why they think they deserve the money. This one guy said he lost his job so he’s been unemployed for a few months and his husband has been paying all the bills and they’ve been struggling.
What I don’t get is, why not get a crappy minimum wage job for now? Obviously something like McDonald’s isn’t a career but if you’re struggling THAT much, fast food income is better than NO income, right? I make minimum wage and I get like $400 a week. Which isn’t a lot but I’m still able to pay my half of the bills.
so why not get a crappy job temporarily instead of being completely broke? Then quit once you find a better job

(and obviously it’s way harder to find jobs right now because of the pandemic, so let’s pretend corona doesn’t exist right now because I’m just generally speaking lol)
3
7