Student Loan Debt Doesn't Count?

Anonymous
I'm going to preface this by saying the thought of being in debt gives me anxiety lol

My coworker, who is kind of like a mentor to me, and I were talking and he mentioned that he had a lot of student loans that he had no intention of paying off. I guess the government just eats the loss once you die and your kids/family aren't then expected to pay them back.

So he was saying how he and his wife are set to pay off their house early and then they'll be debt free except some 5-figure sum in student loans that he's not going to touch ever.

I don't know but that still sounds like debt to me. Does student loan debt not come up when doing credit checks or whatever? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I had 10's of thousands of dollars in debt that I was just letting sit there lol but that's just me.
Student Loan Debt Doesn't Count?
3
0