My boss (M) actually smiled at me today, and I don’t know what to make of it?

Anonymous
So this is unusual for my boss. I work in a retail store. He’s normally very robotic at work. He doesn’t laugh or smile often at all, and he’s always been extra quiet around me in particular. We’ve never had issues with one another or anything like that but I’ve always found him incredibly difficult to read.

Lately I’ve been working on my mental and physical well-being and as a result I’m really stepping my game up at work, taking initiative, being more charismatic, confident, and lately I’ve been asked by the other managers to take on new projects. I’m extremely extroverted and free-spirited, but I’m also a go-getter and a hard worker.
I notice he’s actually been opening up to me a tiny bit, making very casual talk but I can never hear him the first time because he’s so quiet.

Today I was shopping at my place of work, I was on the phone getting ready to leave, and he was just standing nearby, we looked at each other and our eyes met for a second, it looked like he was smiling (although he had a face mask on so I couldn’t see his mouth) but judging by his eyes it looked like he was smiling at me, his head tilted very slightly upward.

I didn’t know what to think of this, because he never smiles, never really laughs or anything. Again it was hard to talk with the face covering, so I am second guessing whether it was a sneer or an actual smile. Any thoughts?
1
1