Any idea how I can convince my parents to let me buy a motorized dirt bike? Where can I drive them? What model should I buy? Are they street legal?

Jack9949
So I’ve talked to my Mom and Dad about this already.

My Dad said no because he’s worried I could get injured. Which is utter BS because I’d only drive as fast and safely as I could handle. Besides there’s risk behind everything you do in life. My Dad lets me drive my car but I could still get in an accident. You can’t live your life in fear because it accomplishes nothing.

Otherwise talking to my Mom about it she said no because “where the hell would you drive it” and “its not allowed anywhere”.

I haven’t researched that yet myself but I’m still pissed off at her for not even considering my idea. She admitted herself that she knows absolutely nothing about it and she’s already saying NO.

Otherwise I’ve already looked at prices online and they are easily affordable. I have over $20,000 saved. I made over $12,000 working ever since Covid shut everything down. And that’s despite the fact I’m also taking classes online.

Besides that I called up one of the dealerships selling the 2020 Honda CRF50F brand new for only $1600. I asked them about its street legality. They said it might be allowed on certain hiking trails in my area unless there is a sign prohibiting their entry.

Otherwise he recommended the Suzuki drz 200 and told me it is street legal and drives on both the road and in the woods. I asked him for the price which is $5300 brand new.

The price sounds a little hefty in my opinion. Is there a similar model to it that I can buy for a little cheaper brand new? Or should I shop for a similar used model?

Keep in mind buying an ATV does have some practical use for me.

In the very near future I am going to partake in summer internships for land surveying because it is part of my college degree. And I need training for the job.

A lot of those guys drive around ATV’s regularly to help survey properties.

I could fit one in the bed of my pickup truck and drive it to the site. And if a dirt bike were too small I could sell it later.
1
6