Would you rather be a standard employee at a great company, or a high-level manager at an awful company?

MCheetah
Which would you rather be?

Option 1: The great company always pays you on time, is very efficient and well run, and generally a nice place to work at, even if many of the coworkers aren't pleasant. The managers there are all long-time employees though; in their 40s and 50s and regularly work out and stay in great shape. The only way you could ever become manager is if one of them quits (which none of them want to do) or drops dead.

Option 2: The other company is a sh*tshow, going up to the very top of management. The problems are so big, it seems insurmountable that you alone could quickly turn things around. They are making a profit though, so you don't have to worry about being laid off anytime soon. You are a high-level manager there and earn a good 50-75% more money than you would at the other job. But the workplace is stressful, chaotic, and miserable for all the low-levels. You might have a chance of getting promoted even higher, but that depends on how cutthroat and ruthless you can be to others.

This is inspired by my Head Instructor (basically, my supervisor) at the job I'm about to leave this month. She's new and only been here for less than two months. She left a great academy to come to manage my academy and take a pay raise, but this place can't even keep anyone for longer than one year. She is professional and good at what she does, but constantly keeps talking about her old company, which is something someone who enjoys their new job wouldn't do. It seems like she regrets taking her position here.
Regular nine-to-fiver at a great company.
Highly paid, high-ranking manager at an awful company.
GirlGuy
3
4