Best way to learn/practice a language for free? Spanish, Portuguese, ASL, French?

zeitgeist057
I tried a search online but all I mostly got was paid services who pretend to be free and put "FREE (trial)" in their SEO to get hits. A couple I've already tried:

1. Duolingo - actually used to be good, but now it's crap based on their "hearts" model. If you make a mistake, you lose a heart. Learning a language, you make many mistakes. If you run out of hearts, you have to wait for hours for them to replenish, or pay. I can't even practice a language at a challenging level for 10 minutes without losing all my hearts. I want something I can put at least 30-60 minutes into per session.

2. Babbel - says "free", but it's really just one lesson, then you need to pay.

I'm just looking for the best way to spend 30-60 minutes a day learning and practicing languages.
22 d
I downloaded several (free) books in Spanish and Portuguese onto my Kindle and started reading a couple of them. It's going pretty well so far. Thank you everyone for your answers.
2
4