5 Powerful Iconic Australian Songs

0.5 The National Anthem

This one doesn't count as being on the list, considering it's the anthem and technically not a song? (I don't know, I've just heard anthems aren't songs) but honestly, I don't consider our anthem to be an iconic song. It's just the anthem.

Our anthem was originally "God Save The Queen" until it was changed in 1984.

Advance Australian Fair was first performed in 1878 as a patriotic song and was composed by a man named Peter Dodds McCormick.

1. I Am Australian

In my honest opinion, this should be our national anthem. It speaks of our history, our culture and what we believe in. It is the very essence of what it means to be Australian, and I'm afraid so many people now don't know what that means. (plus more people know the words by heart than they do our ACTUAL anthem)

This song is my top favourite of all on this list.

I am Australian was written in 1987 by Bruce Woodley of The Seekers and Dobe Newton of The Bushwackers.

2. Waltzing Matilda

Waltzing Matilda is still Australia's unofficial anthem. According to the National Film and Sound Archive there are more recordings of Waltzing Matilda than there are ANY other Australian song.

The name is actually old Australian slang for walking with your belongings in a pack. To travel on foot was to waltz, and the pack was called a matilda.

A jumbuck is a sheep.

Coolibah tree is one of these http://lh5.ggpht.com/4u1neu_tXkUulHPR4WOPkF7Dwj0hVYB5Gxp19cm1YS0ZQpL4gs-JhXAS1E6LF-ucbNJHXNzt7ZwiAO33mWe5=s580

A very thick gum tree basically.

The lyrics were originally written in 1895 by Banjo Paterson and were first published as sheet music in 1903 and first recorded in 1926 by John Collison and Russell Callow.

This is my personal favourite version.

3. Land Down Under

By Men At Work, this is a song about a man travelling the world and being proud of his nationality (as anyone should be).

Land Down Under was originally released in 1980 and is the only Men At Work song to have hit the top 20 charts in the UK.

4. Great Southern Land

Released by Icehouse in 1982.

To tell you the truth, I'm not a fan of this song. I like the lyrics and what the song is about, and as much as I get that this is simply the style of the band, I don't like the way it was executed.

5. I Was Only 19

Released in 1983 by Redgum.

This song is about a young volunteer member of the Australian Army during the Vietnam war. Common belief is that he was conscripted however, men do not become eligible for conscription until they're 21.

The lyrics were written based on the experiences John Schumann (the bands lead guitarist) had heard from veterans, particularly Mick Storen and Frankie Hunt.

There we go, five very powerful Australian songs.

Let me know what you think and if I've missed one let me know!

I was originally going more for a patriotic theme, but I found that I was leaning more towards songs about Australia that felt powerful to me, than simply ones that are essentially just saying, yay Australia.

Bonus Song

I can't believe I forgot this one XD thanks @SarcasticElla41 for the reminder.

I wouldn't call this a powerful song, it is just a very fun song that i think every Aussie loves and can sing word for word.

But, it's here anyway because fuggit.

1222
BaileyisDarcy is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 22

• 5d

I do love I was Only 19,
    I also like the Song Khe Sahn

• The national anthem. . . it makes me cringe.
    To me, it is pompous dirge that would appeal to only the effete latte set of inner Sydney and Melbourne.
    I am old enough to have voted in the referendum, which was not valid because we were not allowed the option of retaining God Save The Queen.

• Really? They didn't have that option there? That's... kinda bullshit actually.

• No, we were not allowed to vote for God Save the Queen. It was not on the ballot.
      The self-appointed effect lefty elite decided that Advance Australia Fair would be imposed upon us, so rigged the ballot to ensure that they got their way.
      The leftards were (and remain) too ignorant to know that Advance Australia Fair is the same tune as God Save the Prince of Wales.
      There are parts of the anthem that remind me of flatulence, when played by a brass band.

• effete lefty elite
      Bullshit American autocorrect, made by illiterates for illiterates.

• 2d

I love most things from Australia, including those songs, wonderful Take :D

• 3d

Interesting MyTake 😊

• 5d

Cheers to Down Under lmao

Honestly out of the many shitty countries in this world, there's not really a lot I can hate Australia for. They gave me Flight Facilities, Tame Impala, and so many cool animals.

• 4d
  • 4d

I must confess I didn't know any Australian song.

Thanks.

• 7d

At the risk of been unpopular, I'm not a fan of any of those. I could say I don't mind " Great Shouthern..." but that would be it. XD

• best national anthem I have ever heard, the country does not even exist XD

https://youtu.be/AD7vaMAqwxk

• I knew I knew ''Land Down Under'' was gonna be listed

• 3d

Cool!

• 5d

Thanks for this take! Tbf I don't even know A of Australia. Thanks though for some introduction.

• 5d

Yes, the Land Down Under.

• 5d

Interesting songs!

• 5d

I'm American

• 2d

Lolz not heard even one of these

• 2d

This is a bit dated and stale.
    How about 'never tear us apart'?
    Khe Sahn?
    Short Memory?

Definitely need some real john willliamson in there too...

• 2d

Outdated? Stale?

You're insane I've never heard of any of those.
      Besides the title is ICONIC not just 5 random Australian songs.

• 2d

What is your point?

• 1d

Also i was 3 years old for the 2000 olympics in case you can't do math. As if im going to remember a pointless event that was on tv from when i was 3.

• 6d

I shed a tear while reading this and had a hard-on, I'm just overflowing with national pride.

• 2d

I love austraila.

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 12

• 7d

These are really good. I was listening to 'I Am Australian' just two days ago, no joke XD Another really great one is
    Great South Land by Geoff Bullock (sung better by Steve Grace though ;p)
    and the sung version of Clancy of the Overflow.
    I haven't found the sung version of Clancy online though but it's beautiful. I remember hearing Adam Hills and his wife perform a version of it mashed with something else & *that's* online. Still really good.

• 4d

https://youtu.be/ceWKrsJX9N4
    True blue.
    Played at Steve Irwins memorial service

• 7d

It's different than what you posted, but it is an Australian singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw4J4u2Rxm0

It's a really good song. :D

• 1d

Well I'm not Australian but I like these.

• 7d

Beautiful songs, nice MyTake :)

• 5d

I've never heard of any of these but definitely going to give them a try. I'm always looking for new music.

• 4d

Beautiful songs

• AGREED ON EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE!!! Although, i feel like home among the gumtrees should be here somewhere

• 2d

Land down under!!

• 5d

Funny songs

• 5d

Very cool! I've never heard of these songs before

• 6d

thanks for sharing with us