Women in Metal and My Experience in the Matter

Women in the World of Metal

#Metal #Women

Hello and first of all: be prepared for non initiates ;) this is gonna sting a little.

In my life as a metalhead (basically my entire life) I've heard too many times "Women don't listen to metal because they can't handle it" or "Women don't listen to metal because it's too violent for them"....

Let's go back a few years : Hi ;) i'm Romain, 23 years old since June ;)

I'm 7 (2001) and my father listens to Iron Maiden, AC DC , Green Day, Trust and Motley Crue mainly. My mother listens to Francis Cabrel, U2, Whitney Houston, Joe Cocker, Lenny Kravitz and some Earth Wind And Fire. At that time I liked Rock (Motley Crue and AC DC) but not that much else to what my dad listened to. Summer '01 I go to Camp Lohikan (a summer camp)... In my cabin is a young german (whose name I forgot, sorry) and he makes me listens to Metallica's Black Album that he brought with him.... I fall immediately in love with this music style. My love for metal was born on Enter Sandman.

I come back and simply say "Dad, I want to listen to Iron Maiden !" (I still remember the sparkles in his eyes as I uttered these words).

16 years later I am a full grown Metal Head ;) Band Shirts, Leather bracelets, camo pants and boots. I have 15 years of drumming behind me and 8 months of guitar ^^ but over the years I kept on hearing "Pff, women don't like metal it's too much for their soft little ears"....

True, most women who like Rock listen to ACDC, Nashville Pussy, Airbourne, Alter Bridge, Green Day, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister and/or Kiss.... Nowadays they listen to Nightwish, Epica or Eiluveitie but still.... I couldn't help but feel like saying "Dude, there are women in every genre you just don't see them." How right I was.

Just take a look at Nashville Pussy that I mentioned earlier:

Both of their guitarists are women!

Let's go deeper into the "Hardcore"

Swedish metal band: Crucified Baraba (and they ROCK ;) Rock me like the devil go check it out)

Wanna go deeper? Say no more:

Angela Gossow

She was the lead singer of Arch Enemy (DEATH METAL band) today replaced by the beautiful Alissa White-Gluz.

Now those 2 women you do NOT want to mess with them. ;)

And FINALLY I present to you the BUTCHER BABIES!

Also Death Metal singers.....

Women have a place in Metal just as much as men, so if we can see that in metal why not everywhere else? Why these fucking double standards? Of course they are not as numerous as men (Obviously most of them decided to listen to other music styles...just like there aren't many guy fans of Justin Bieber there aren't many women fans of metal).

To my fellow metal heads: imagine a woman, dressed in black leather, band shirt with leather bracelets AND that listens to bands more violent than what you listen to ....... dreamy right ? <3

Of course I couldn't mention every single band that has female members but I tried to mention quite a few (If metal isn't your thing, you can always listen to Eluveitie, Nightwish, Epica, Amaranthe, Halestorm or The Pretty Reckless).

I'll finish with this song which shows Alissa White-Gluz's singing capabilities ;) enjoy (or don't)

Thank you for reading and tell me what you though honestly ^^

2134

Most Helpful Girl

• That's nice...
    Since I've been a vocalist for many metal bands - at one time 5 - I can attest - there are women in metal music, but just starting out - some of them are intimidater or think that a woman's voice can't do what a man's can... which is simply not true. We've done covers of Pantera (I'm Broken, Cemetera Gates, Cowboys from hell...), we've done prog metal, some hard rock, Within Temptation (while they were still good), Nightwish (as you mentioned), and many others... it just takes some warming up and your voice getting used to.
    Not to mention I've heard some amazing guitarists and bass players and know a kick-ass drummer girl.

You're totally right - metal is for everyone.
    Not to mention that the kindest people - as far as I've experienced it are metalheads.

Most Helpful Guy

• I always find it awesome when I find another person who listens to metal. I ended up getting my ex into metal back when we were dating. I'd also like to mention that yeah heavy deaht metal isn't everyone's cup of tea, but there are other subgenres or metal that are just absolutely beautiful and not well known. So yeah some women may like heavier stuff while others prefer a symphonic metal (my favorite subgenre of metal because I absolutely love classical/orchestra and metal).

Like you my love for metal was born on the song Enter Sandman on Metallica's Black Album. My ex's love for metal was born on the songs 8th Commandment by Sonata Arctica and Center of the Universe by Kamelot.

I think women add a lot to metal and look forward to seeing more women in metal, in all places. Some of my favourite bands (Epica, Nightwish, Kamelot) wouldn't be the same without their female vocals. Sarah Longfield is one of my favourite guitarists and The Fine Constant wouldn't be the same with any other guitarist.

I agree completely with your Take.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 20

• Loved It! Yes, metal runs through women's veins too. While it is rare for women to listen to metal let alone be the vocals in a band. Wish that were the case where I live. Besides my mom, we are the only metal heads.
    I however don't like female vocalists.

• \m/ hell yea \m/

some of my fave metal by women:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O7SXsJOMMw
    Arkha Sva - Japan, black metal - one of the vocalists. You'll hear her eventually. She's like an opera singer or something. Arkha Sva are weird as hell and rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NGteQywj7M
    Iskra - USA, Black metal/Crust punk - one of the vocalists. People join and leave this band all the time, there've been a number of women in it at different times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPR0GQoe5cs
    Wold - Canada, Black Metal/? - its hard to say that any humans really worked on this, but one of them is a woman apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvNUFc2V1nY
    Menace Ruine - Canada, Black metal/Doom Metal - finally someone who's name I know! Geneviève Beaulieu. A one woman project I believe - she's credited with 'Music, lyrics and arrangement' - this album isn't black metal but their other stuff is apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RdUub-I4eA
    Ampulheta - Japan, Black metal - this demo is kinda hit and miss for me, but when its good it fucking rules. Two woman project maybe? 'Soma' on guitar and 'Yuga' on vocals & drums - if only one is a lady, I don't know which one!

And of course, everyones favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrRT3Xr83xk
    Nuclear Death - Canada, Grindcore/Death metal - Lori Bravo! On vocals, guitar & bass.

There are probably a lot more, but a lot of the metal I love is by people who dont really reveal their identities. So who knows? We're out here!

• I am a big fan of heavy metal. It boosts my mood its so epic. Rammstein are my fav band. Their lyrics are very racy as well. I am glad they sing in German so when I listen to them loudly people dont understand the scandalous lyrics😂. I love a band called kamelot. Roy khan the lead singer had the most beautiful voice ever

• Used to be a Metalhead. It is about two years now that I'm listening to much less Metal, and sometimes find myself unable to listen. Classical is what I mostly listen to now.

• Have you tried checking out symphonic metal? It fuses classical and metal and a lot of times it's not as heavy as other subgenres of metal.

• Personally, I like the metal genre and I can play the drums, I don't know if I would be considered a 'metalhead' however, I mean, I don't dress or act like one. I mean, I hate piercings and tattoos for one, I think they look ugly. And I'm really open other genres too, I particularly like Jazz. I don't really wear dark colours. (Ignore the fact I'm wearing a black shirt)
    And most of the metal music I like is video game covers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZpwfcw4NkQ

• I love metal! Arch Enemy, BvB, Asking Alexandria, Of Mice and men etc etc etc. Thanks for you awesome Take. I enjoyed it

• Metalcore is where it's at!! Let me get a fuck yea for Parkway Drive🤘🤘🤘

• Not really metal, but you should check our Dorothy. Gorgeous rocker chick. I met her and Lzzy Hale from Halestorm when they were touring together, and it was amazing.

• Oh shit, I'm more of a motorhead and black label society man myself, but Dorothy has some pretty sound tunes... And I wouldn't say no to some of that mwahah! Hoping to see her tour in the UK at some point.

• I like this a lot. Thanks for sharing. I listen to metal and appreciate it. I've recently been getting into Ministry (not sure if it's metal or what) but it's my recently found interest ^.^

• I like metal too! Metallica, Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, and the classic metal/hard rock like Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath and Def Leppard! :)

• Cool read

• Lol I remember trying so hard to make my voice sound all metal when I was in highschool.😂 I eventually just gave up because I didn't think it was possible with how high my voice was. I guess I should have kept trying 😂

• I like the lyrics and the visual imagery of metal bands. I've actually listened to a few death metal and black metal bands, including Arch Enemy.

• СЛОТ . The SLoT w/ Daria Stavrovich . nickname Nookie .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sOZN_-ruY

• Isn't it nice how we all are different and don't like the same things. How boring would that be. There are more important issues in the world than your music.

• Iron Madien and the like I don't really classify as metal. Just classic rock. AcDc is like nails on a chalk board. But yas give me some Arch Enemy, Kittie, Asking Alexandra, and Tristania. I love chics that can rock

• Iron Maiden is classic Heavy Metal, ACDC is hard rock and "yas" is nails on a chalk board

• I don't know why you are trying to insult my use of yas. It gets annoying constantly saying yes or yea or yeah. I don't do well with repetition

• Dio is heavy metal, Pantera is groove metal

• I'm not sure why I clicked on this seeing as I'm not a metal fan. 😂😂

• I think it takes a special type women to love metal

• define "special" ? Because that would mean it takes special types of men to listen to metal...

• Yeah the planet worships Satan we know that already. These distorted sounds and unearthly voices really don't appeal to some of us. its more like annoying noise. But whatever floats your goat. doesn't mean you sacrfice babies in your basement or sth.. or do you?

What Guys Said 33

• I have never heard any one say that about women and metal. I have noticed as many have that it doesn't have as many female fans as male but I have never heard any one say that it wasn't something women could do or enjoy. I mean, arch enemies lead singer is a woman and that's a pretty damn hard metal band. As for metal, yeah black album was what turned me to metal as well.

• My only issue here is I don't think there are double standards in metal like that. You're good or you're not, for the most part. I think having females on your posters and as a face for the band is better for marketing and sales, but that's about the only difference. I just annoys me that people feel they even have to bring this shit up.

• I simply don't enjoy metal because it's too lod, just screams and have no message.
    That's my experience, don't judge.

• I hate metal and I hate metalheads. They're angry douchebags who don't respect other peoples choice in music. metalheads are a bunch of elitist pricks who think they're "superior" to everyone because they listen to metal.

The metal community is so toxic and dysfunctional that they even hate each other and bash fellow metalheads for listening to certain bands or sub genres.

You have the right to like or dislike whatever you want but what you do not have the right to do is bash people and look down on people because they have a different taste in music.

You are not superior or smarter than anyone because you listen to metal there is no such thing as "real music". I listen to EDM and I am proud of it.

• Majority of my friends male & female listen to heavy music. I don't care if you do or don't though. If you're a good person then I'll be your friend regardless of what music you listen to.

• I love metal chicks! You gotta watch out though, while some can be sweet as the next girl, others can be batsh*t crazy!

That said, I prefer my women to have eclectic tastes like I do. If she likes pop that is fine, as long as she likes classic rock, 80s new wave, classical, metal, or some combination of those.

I also used to be a big hip-hop head. So hip-hop and metal? Yeah, I like it all. I am the type to put on little Dicky or Action Bronson one moment and then Cannibal Corpse or Mastodon the next. Then the next day I might put on a 70s easy listening playlist (Elton John, Steely Dan, Davie Bowie, Isley Brothers, etc.), or the next day I might put on some 90s grudge. I am also known to throw on some house and indie from time to time. Jazz, Blues, Classic... I am a mood music kind of person. The only music genres that I can't stand is Country and most 50s music (but I love big band and swing!)

I'm kind of like the music equivalent of a foodie. I dig a lot of different international foods and am willing to try most things once, well the same goes for my wide tastes in music. It is most attractive when a woman has the sophistication to enjoy a wide variety of music styles.

As far as the metal life style, I can dig it. I always find women who are into darker things with dark senses of humor to be intriguing. The kind of woman who enjoys a night watching slasher horror films and loves getting ready for Halloween is right up my alley! These are the kind of women who tend to be more assertive and I'm fine with that! Bring it on! Feisty is fine by me as long as you don't bite too hard. ^_^

• Saw the Butcher Babies open for Black Label Society a while ago.

Not sure where guys get the idea that there are no girls into metal, I know quite a few.

• Yeah very good take - There has always women into metal probably quite a low number but I think it is growing as you point out lots of bands with female members now.

• My favorite metal song of all time was sung by a woman. So, I guess women are doing just fine in metal for me

• First off. Metal kicks ass!!! Girls that like Metal kick ass!! people that listen to metal are cool as fuck!! and Dave Mustaine kicks ass!!

• yeah Dave Mustaine LITERALLY kicks ass ;) since he got kicked out of Metallica for his violent behavior and because of alcohol related problems xD but yeah Megadeth ROCKS <3

• i find a lot of heavy metal sort of muh
    I like the blue hair style though and the gothic looks can look good
    heavy metal just sounds sort of forced to me

• only the looks? not the music?

• I dont know now.
      I was thinking more like
      ARCH ENEMY - The Eagle Flies Alone
      and
      the one you listed
      though i may have just not been feeling like metal at the time i still don't really like those 2 songs but i really like
      Pentakill: Mortal Reminder
      right now anyway

• Interesting

• Interesting since I know nothing about metal...

• You kind of spoiled it by mentioning Butcher Babies, two pornstar metal wannabes. Otherwise, good. See also: Thundermother, Christian Mistress, etc, etc

• Pornstar metal wannabees? How so?

• Oh my god, what a stupid reason to hate that band! Imbecile.

• Ladies in leather! Woof! Chain mail? They would own 'The Ride of the Valkyries'

• Interesting take

• Nobody says they don't. My experience with a large percentage of women in heavy metal are there posing as a "rock chick". Basically a lot of record companies will put chicks in heavy metal bands because thirsty guys will eat it up and the media will fawn over a young pretty girl doing anything in male dominated industry where the primary patrons are male. This true of almost any entertainment directed at men.
    But seriously no matter what it is just throw in a reasonably average talented and averagely attractive girl and immediately her talent is hailed far and wide and is her pussy is put on an unassailable pedestal.
    https://youtu.be/Puf0Kea5110

• Not too many people knows about it

• As much as I love Metal, I can't stand Metalhead women. I prefer so much more a nextdoor style.

• I am a fan of metal girls

• More from Guys
    13