Stephen's Movie Reviews: IT

Stephen's Movie Reviews: IT

I admit when I first saw the trailer for this movie I thought it was going to be just like the remake of the 1990 classic. Well it wasn't,it was actually way more than I bargained for. For starters this version focused only on the kids rather than the adults. This version pushes the limits more than the original mini series but not as much as the book.

SPOILER ALERT: if you don't want the movie to be spoiled or don't want to read spoilers please continue on to the bottom.

The film begins in Derry,Maine in October 1988 where we are Bill making the iconic paper boat for his baby brother Georgie. Georgie goes to sail it where the boat unfortunately falls into the drain of the sewer and into the hands of Pennywise the Clown. So pennywise tries to lure young Georgie into the sewer with a Balloon and a promise of getting his boat back. Instead Pennywise rips his arm off and drags him into the sewer. Over the Summer the kids Ben,Bill,Richie,stan,mike,eddie,and beverly all band together and hang out with 2 things in common. They are bullied and they see Pennywise and other scary objects they fear since It feeds on fear. But,over the Summer they divide and grow apart until Pennywise kidnaps Beverly and holds her in a catatonic state in the Sewers. The kids kill Pennywise by beating him to death.

Overall I give the whole movie 4.5 out of 5 stars. Bill Skarsgard's portrayal as pennywise is phenomenal and scarier than Tim Curry. Although Curry's 1990 portrayal is also iconic there was not as much scare material but rather more comedic than scary. The kids are all too notch actors as well. The effects were awesome and a very good storyline that Isn't boring and there is still some laughs when Ritchie let's off his wisecracks. So go see IT and you'll float too!!!

#IT

#youllfloattoo

1718
smahala1991 is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Influencers?

Most Helpful Girl

• Overall, I thought it was really good. However, I didn't like how they completely changed Mike's story, making him an orphan living with his grandpa and not having the same level of freedom to explore that he did in the book. His encounter with It in the book was far scarier and more along the lines with how the others encountered him. In the book, he was exploring the Kitchener Ironworks ruins, and while finding treasures he was attacked and chased for some time by It manifesting himself as a large falcon. In the movie, it was just a short scene of him having a flashback to his parents trying to escape the burning house. And they completely glossed over the story of The Black Spot club. That scared the shit out of me when reading the book.

They completely changed Henry's story too... he was just more of a crazy psycho kid than a racist brute who wasn't afraid to say the N word directly to Mike and his family.

• The book is very detailed & intense , what a wonderfully dark imagination Stephen King has.

• I don't think they'd have been allowed to show the racism nowadays. Like in the book Beverly is more sexual which they couldn't show

• @selmo93 The racism towards Mike from Henry was a small part of the story so I'm not really disappointed that it was omitted. But Mike's story and experience with Pennywise in the book was COMPLETELY changed. That was disappointing to me. It's not even like that would have been impossible to incorporate into the movie. They changed it for no reason, in my opinion.

As for Beverly, yeah I know what you're saying. I guess they wanted to tone that down. But they could have implied that she had sex with all of them instead of showing it, or omitting that completely as they did.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know why but my brain was so happy that you and Stephen King had the same name as you wrote this

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 16

• Best remake I seen in a long time and I had some serious doubts about the movie cause you know what happens when classics are remade. It's usually a bomb, but this one was just awesome all around, the story stayed the same but they still managed to put in some new idea's as well while keeping some classic scene like Beverly's bathroom. I can't wait to see part 2 when it come out.

• I've heard amazing things about it but I would never see it. I'm the biggest scaredy cat in the world

• I loved the book, and I definitely want to see the movie.

• Not scary but it was entertaining. Pennywise's giant fivehead distracted me from anything else

• I kinda want to go see it, but I don't have someone to go with and I don't drive, so really I'm just looking for a ride to the theater lol. The preview looked pretty good

• I thought it was pretty good had way more aspects to it then a regular horror movie, plus the kids were cool. Gonna get the book soon

• SK sucks in all things, rich off idiot's money
    a fool and his money are soon parted

• Scrolled down to see the score, I'll be watching it

• Never saw the original, but this one looks interesting

• This remake sounds pretty good

• I was good. I have nothing bad to say about it. I wouldn't say it was that scary but I don't think that's what they were going for. The scene where the kids are beating him up is kind of cheesy though

• It was alright some scares and some funny bits saw it last night in cinema really uncomfortable sitting in there would rather wait and watch it at home

• I liked it, but I've seen much scarier.

• Awesome

• I mean the first movie was highkey kind of funny. This new one is lowkey kind of funny but definitely plays into the horror aspect a bit more.

• Honestly it was lik a 2. I thought it was going to be scary.

What Guys Said 17

• A couple of things. If you read the book, this is a less faithful adaptation of the book.

Second, a few things seem to indicate the writers of todays version simply didn't understand the book or mini series. Like their take on the "we all float" phrase. So wrong.

Third, the psychopath child goes from being an absolute knife wielding nut job to someone who won't say the N-word to the black kid. It's ridiculous in many ways.

Fourth the balloon in Beverly's bathroom scene - overdone to laughable extremes.

They were a few edits away from making this really really amazing. As it is, there's a lot to enjoy but if you're familiar with the source material a lot of this is going to get on your nerves. And not in a good way.

• Yeah I saw it, a few scenes make you jump, It feeds every 27 years, that made me think about the movie "Jeepers Creepers" , another scary movie. But this movie was pretty good and well made

• I'm wondering what they are going to do for part two since henry bowers got killed off

• I remember the mini series - This remake sounds good as you say it is more from the point of view of the kids, an interesting direction to go in, I look forward to having a look at it.

• Tim Curry's gleefully twisted Pennywise was funny , more than scary , he stole the show in the first movie. It is hard to make a movie from this deep , dark , big & complex book , yet to see this version

• It has it's flaws like any adaptation, but it's definitely worth watching.

• For me it was good for seeing once, but nothing else.

• It was good, but it needed more suspense. Things happened to quickly.

• It was a very good film. A very good coming of age movie rather than a terrifying horror but it would have been very hard to do both simultaneously. Looking forward to part two.

• Fucking loved it one of my favorite horror movies, I smell awards coming to the movie and actors.

• wasn't scared but the story was engaging, first time I encountered the story

• The clown wasn't scary.

A good, stiff jab would settle his ass down.

cdn2.sbnation.com/.../2eo9yc4_jpg.gif

• Guess I'll have to see it for myself...

• I never watched the original but yesterday I watched this movie and it wasn't bad but surely not great

• Tim Curry looked a lot better as Pennywise. This clown just looks stupid.

• Interesting

• I dislike children as it is. No interest whatsoever in seeing a movie about them.

• I haven't watched any movies in years