The Problems of Being A Female Metalhead

It's hard enough for any metalhead to be accepted in society. Some people can fear us, others think we're plain stupid, etc. And when it comes to being female and a metalhead, it can sometimes come with a few extra issues. I've figured that out myself over the years. Some problems here listed can relate to both genders. (And no this is not a feminist rant)

1. Some people just think metal chicks are lesbians.

People see us like this at times because how some of us just aren't so girly. For me personally, I don't dress in many colors or wear tons of makeup. I typically dress more like a thrash metal person, and just wear some eyeliner and black nails.

I hate the color pink. Grays, black, and denim I feel most comfortable in. That doesn't mean that chicks can't be girly, its just not for me. I'd rather go and play guitar than be at the phone for 5 hours talking about tons of boys in pop groups. If I were on the phone that long, I'm sure it would be about other stuff.

2. People think we're satanic or atheist.

Due to the stuff we wear, people assume we are devil worshippers or something. Now i know there can be some that actually are atheists or Satanists, but its not all. there are metal people of many religions (im wiccan).

Sometimes people assume because of what we wear, and it can be because of the content of music. I have a shirt from an Anthrax concert that I've worn many times, and have gotten pretty bad looks for. However I've gotten a few good compliments as well. These are pics of it.

The Problems of Being A Female MetalheadThe Problems of Being A Female Metalhead

Now I am someone who doesn't totally care what another person thinks about me, but believe me, it can get pretty damn annoying if they waste their time constantly harassing you and accusing you of stuff. People can hear lyrics of songs and not know the actual meaning, and assume the worst.

Like for example, AC/DC, the song "Highway To Hell". Yeah, I know many people don't see them as metal. I see them as mainly rock n roll but also kinda roots to early metal. One of my favorite bands. Anyway, it is a song that some people think is an ode to the devil. But the reality is, its a song having to do with the band touring in America. They felt like they were literally on the highway to hell from all the driving in this country! So really its an ode to all the driving they did in the U.S.

3. some people think that our lives are bad and that is why we listen to the music.

They think that we could be going through things like a bad tragedy and rebellion. That we'd rather want war and not peace. I listen to metal because I love it. Not because of negative things, however, metal is helpful when you have a negative mindset.

Metal saved me from suicide once because I put all the negative feelings into music. Instead of encouraging me to kill myself, it got me out. Some people think the music makes us bad people and negative to everyone. For me I'm pretty empathetic and social. I get along with many. Though I don't tolerate tons of hate.

4. People thinking emo and metal are the same.

I HATE THIS!! only people who think this are ones who clearly don't actually listen to the music.

5. People who think that Metallica is the only metal band.

Technically, Metallica hasn't always been metal. They went from thrash, to heavy metal, to whatever "Load" and "Reload" was, to rock, to Lars' weird garbage can sounding snare, to lou reed shit, and back to metal. I know that not everyone agrees with that but that's just me.

If someone were to come up to me and ask what genre Metallica is, i'd say "metal" instead of explaining it all. I love just about all their albums except "St. Anger" and "Lulu". I respect how they experimented, BUT the point is, they aren't / weren't the only metal band. There's surely a whole lot more metal bands out there than just Metallica, obviously. Again, anyone who thinks otherwise is someone who surely hasn't listened to metal music.

6. Person saying "but you're too pretty to dress like that, and listen to that music"

*Facepalm*....

7. Trying to dress for a formal occasion, but all you got is band shirts, spikes, and raggedy jeans.

All metalheads have been through this. I have plenty. Only solution is owning a few shirts and things that could be used for those events. any other time I do not wear them. They stay in the back of the closet.

8. Posers and people who wear band shirts cause they "look cool".

Ahh yes, I've seen this plenty. From Kim Kardashian wearing a metallica shirt, to a rap artist (don't know his name) wearing an AC/DC "hells bells" shirt, we've all seen this before. However I will admit, I went through a goth phase in my early teens, and I hated the music. I just liked the style. Yes I do get pissed at my old self over that.

9. Chicks having to get mens band shirts because the girls shirts aren't brutal enough.

The majority of my shirts are mens. Simply for this reason.

10. People who listen to one metal band and consider themselves metal.

I'm not even explaining here.

11. Convincing people metal isn't just screaming.

Yes, I get that some really brutal bands have mainly screaming, but that isn't all about metal. THERE ARE MANY CATEGORIES!!

I know there can be many more problems that could be listed. Anybody got extras that they wanna say? if so then shout it out. And look out for MyTake of the Advantages of Being a Metalhead, coming soon. Any haters that wish to speak their mind hatefully here will be reported. Stay Metal my brothers and sisters! \\m//

820
themetalhead is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's so odd how people associate metal and blues with certain lifestyles. I listen to both blues and metal, and I kid you not, when someone hears me listening to metal, they think I'm a dark, angry, psychotic atheist (atheist is correct, the rest is not). And when I listen to blues, I've had people say "why are you listening to that? Are you sad? What's bothering you?" I just love the heavy riffs in metal and the licks in blues. Of course, this happens with people around my age. I listen to mostly older rock, metal and blues. Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Chuck Berry, Ozzy Osbourne, Motorhead, ZZ Top, The Allman Brothers, etc. So when I listen to that around older people, they just think I have a good taste in music. My favorite band is Black Sabbath, and depending on who I'm around, I get either the "why are you listening to that scary, creepy stuff" or the "someone your age is listening to Sabbath? That's so cool". It's so hard having conversations about music with people around my age. They have no idea what this next sentence means "My favorite band is Black Sabbath and the guitarist Tony Iommi is who really inspired me to pick up the guitar, so earlier this year I bought a black Epiphone SG in honor of him". They have no idea who Black Sabbath is, who Tony Iommi is, or what an Epiphone or Gibson or an SG or a Fender Strat is. But, it doesn't help that I do have a lot of black clothing. I do like black shirts because they are black. I like black because it's absolutely plain, and I think being plain is underrated. Plus, if it's black with nothing on it, I'm not a walking billboard. I am simply a clothed man. I prefer simplicity in my attire, nothing too flashy.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • yeah there's never anything wrong with dressing plain. And yeah, I've always liked blues as well, especially when its incorporated in metal and rock, like angus young channeling chuck berry pretty much, the times metallica experimented with it, etc.. usually when older people see me and notice I'm into the music I like, they think I'm pretty cool since I'm young and listening to stuff like that, instead of pop or rap. as for people my age, well, they just think I'm a weirdo lol. thanks for reading

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 19

• I agree with a lot of your take, and the rest I can't say much on because I haven't had that experience. Trying to convince people that metal isn't just screaming and that there are a bunch of subgenres and sogns that can be softer, heavier or some mix of the two can get annoying. Especially when they're closed off to it. I get screeching and gutturals aren't for everybody and if they're not used to it then it can take a bit of getting used to.

Though I usually find that people who think metal is a bunch of yelling and noise usually don't know how to listen to it and what to listen for. I like listenig. To metal because it's more fun to listen to than a repetitive pop song, and usually there's a lot more work put into a metal song than a lot of songs in other genres and depending on the band the lyrics could be a lot more poetic (or a work of art).

The only things I'd add to you list is people who say they like metal bands and list a bunch of artists they think are metal but aren't. Also people who think the only metal bands out there are the few mainstream ones when metal is way larger than that.

Anyways, great take, and rock on fellow metal head.

• I kind of like Black Metal music. Mostly because it sounds like anger, and screaming, and plain evil. It's cool when I am full of energy and wanna let it all out. My favorite metal song is probably
    Mayhem - Freezing Moon
    My favorite part starts at 2:54 and to the end
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ySoWnxfOnIs

• awesome, a friend told me about that band not long ago. truly full of energy. \\m//

• by the way (this goes out to everyone reading) check out the next myTake, "Advantages of being a female metalhead" which is out now

• "1. Some people just think metal chicks are lesbians."

Fear not! In my day, the metal chicks were decidedly straight. The lesbian types were listening to neo-folky types like the Indigo Girls (who were actual lesbians), or women who had sad songs of emotional pain, from Tori Amos to Jewel. I NEVER thought metal chicks were lesbians. I just lamented there were not enough of them.

• well at least you have never thought metal chicks were XD I've just been accused of being lesbian because people think I'm more guy-ish. I mean I'm not really a girly-girl but still. thanks 4 reading \\m//

• I grew up on metal but never considered myself a metalhead. Rivethead is more like it.

Anyway, nice Take. My only problem with it is #5. In my personal let's label the music world timeline, Metallica started off as thrash, transitioned and helped set the bar for what "normal" metal is, and then after the Black Album they moved more into the extremely popular "sellout pieces of shit who started dressing like clowns, making horrible music and should be forgotten" genre.

• i know many people have different views on the strange timeline of metallica, but i do like hearing everyone's opinions about it. thanks for reading XD

• https://youtu.be/c6lQEa-htXI
    I agree that St. Anger was terrible.
    I like Metallica, MegaDeth, Pantera, Manowar, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Rob Zombie, Meshuggah, AC DC, Mudvayne, and some of the older Slayer albums when the vocals were tolerable.

• awesome, the majority of the bands you metioned I'm into as well. keep on rocking \m/

• Didn't go through it all but you should move to a bigger city. That is my opinion, I lived in NYC, Chicago, London and I have to tell you than in such melting pots of cultures people are a lot more accapting and being a metal head is nothing out of the ordinary.

• yeah I currently live near a city of rap and hip hop, and it fucking sucks. Although I will say that for awhile, every time I would wear an AC/DC shirt I would get good comments from people about it lol. Thanks for reading \\m//

• This actually pretty stupid. It's just that most people have moved to EDM. Rock and Metal is considered a bit more oldschool now. Also, many guys think this kind of girl are always looking for a big muscles daddy with a beard.

• well I guess there was only one guy in my life who knew I was into something else than that kind of person. rock and metal is considered old school by some but i'd rather live by it than EDM

• I'm not a Satanist.
    I'm a Norse Paganist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiztNq19xow

• I like hearing industrial and even get weird stares doing so openly haha Ik I don't really like it but there is something funny to it seeing how fucked up people are in the head

• lolz XD I'm into a few industrial bands, like ministry and nine inch nails. played some ministry one time and got a few stares from people. it is funny though XD thanks for reading

• Girls be like
    Yea I'm into metal
    Then I found out she listens to trashy pop
    That's how it's all the time
    I'm start to think a metal head girl is an imaginary species

• oh metal chicks are more rare than metal guys. I feel like I'm the only one on earth that would rather go dancing on the graves of popular pop artists instead of listening to the music lol

• I'm even using dimmu as my nick

• I'm a big fan of music. All different genres. For the longest time, I only liked one type of music and thought everything else was trash. Eventually, I grew up and became more openminded with music and also life. I still don't like pop anything. It's commercial sellout shit in my opinion. But now I listen to old Country, Metal (lamb of god) old school hip-hop and a lot of underground genres. It helped me open up as a person and meet new people. Good luck. You can always start with the blues. EVERYTHING derived from the blues. It is the seed to the leaves you hear today.

• worst i ever got was the satanist and emo stuff and that never really got to me.

good luck anyways

• I'll be 100% honest and admit I was a poser as a kid.

Really interesting Take 👍👍

• thanks XD but hey at least you are someone who know you were one, unlike some people who can be in denial about it or just never admit it lol

• It's all about respect ✌😊

• I listen to metal for 15 years now and i can tell who is poser and who is not... you seem definitely not !!!

And by the way... people with High IQ listen to metal ( especially death/ progressive/technical death ones ) cause the way they implements the whole elements is similar to the classical music !!!

That's why a lot of metalheads appreciate classical music !!!

Keep it on girl... I support you !
    https://m.popkey.co/41fcff/3jb6v_s-200x150.gif

• Ok, most of these I highly agree with, but if you're trying to dress for a formal occasion and all you have is metal shirts and raggedy jeans then you're a moron. What are you going to do when it's time for a job interview? I hire people, and not a one of them shows up in raggedy ass jeans and metal shirts. If they did they'd be sent packing. Being a metal head doesn't also mean you have to be a moron. Own clothes for all necessary occasions. That's called life. Being a metal head doesn't mean you can't be adaptable and prepared.

• dude I said that I have some clothes set for things like that. I'm only worrying about job interviews after high school, cause school is in the way too much for me to be able to work. but i do have the clothes for when I do go to a job interview. plus if i need to, i can get more clothes beforehand. I even have a few ugly Christmas sweaters for any Christmas party I have to go to. having nearly all clothes being metal style is called being a METALHEAD. Go ahead and call me a moron but I do have some clothes for other things, just not so much, and if I need to get extra clothes before an occasion I'm fine with buying more.

• Not much into metal but I keep hearing of metal bands out there doing good stuff.

• So you don’t eat unborn fetuses and shit? 🤔

• people who think that are obviously the type who don't know us at all.

• whatever ya think man

• 😋😘🤷‍♂️💩

• Nice mytake, but Satanic and Atheist are totally different views on life... only uninformed people confuse these two.

• well I've researched about many religions before I realized I was wiccan. satanic and atheist views are totally different, its just that unfortunately people who don't understand metal (mainly really religious folks) just believe that both views are similar because they thin both ways betray god. thanks for reading!

• I agree, and I kinda like Wicca too... you are right, religious fanatics don't understand.
      Basically, Atheists can't even betray god because they don't believe in him.
      You're welcome :)

What Girls Said 8

• When people see me they actually guess I like rock and metal. And they are right. It's an assumption i do not dress like i like rock. But Yeah I hardly meet men or women who have my taste in music. Meh

• I listen to heavy metal a lot and while I haven't met many others who share the same taste as I do... I never experienced any of these problems.

• As a metalhead I can relate. Many people stereotype swedish people as metalheads which is a coincidence.

• i personally think girls that find that perfect blend of metal style while maintaining a female flare are the sexiest thing ever! it gives you the female style and cut of clothing while the metal style of it offers insight to the girls personality. i for one wish there were more girls of metal out there like Heidi Shepherd and Carla Harvey of butcher babies for example or the girls of kittie.

• 12. Your heads aren't metal

• Nice

• Music taste is not related to life style in my opinion.

• yeah it can be like that for some people, especially those who are into many genres of music. thanks for reading!

• I'm sorry but the metal bands of now days are crap and that's the reason why everyone thinks metal is satanic. Bands like corn, acdc etc have no edge whatsoever and their lyrics are crap too. Listen to Dark Tranquility: Hedon and listen to Megadeth: Tornado of souls. Tell me what you think. I used to be one of those who hated Metal and thought it was satanic because of society and because of the metal bands of the now. But I found these two bands and liked them a lot and i was suprised. There are many more i've found that are great. Metal isn't about screaming, it's about the meaning of the song and the way the instrumental and lyrics work together to create something meaningful.

• I'm into megadeth, sometimes people get pissed off at how I like both megadeth and metallica. i'll check out that other band you mentioned in a minute. but I do agree with what you say about metal being about the meaning of the song how everything works to create something meaningful. I get pissed whenever someone thinks its all screaming. I am trying to find new bands I like, and it is quite difficult because like 99% are total shit to me

• Yeah I understand, I used to think it's all about screaming too but then my friend showed me real metal bands and I found I liked it. Yeah finding good bands are a big problem. My friend is completely into metal. Listen to the albums the minds eye and the gallery and not anything after that of Dark Tranquility. I could give you more bands if you want, give me a message.