Get Out - a Rip Off of The Skeleton Key... a Movie Never Even Acknowledged By the Academy

The Oscar nominated movie Get Out has a plot of people stealing other people's bodies so they could live longer.

Get out - a rip off of The Skeleton Key...a Movie Never Even Acknowledged By the Academy

Although this was probably done everywhere to death, I can't help but compare it to The Skeleton Key which was a movie starring Kate Hudson that depicted quite the same plot, with more mystery, less desperation for political correctness and a more realistic ending.

The Skeleton Key differs in one key aspect from Get out, though. Get out bases these criminal changes of bodies in science, while The Skeleton Key bases them in voodoo - which is also a lot more believable than science being able to do this...

If a movie is going to go for a fictional plot, why try to involve science in a completely incredible - meaning hard to believe - way?

The whole point of this article is to try to achieve some perspective on the kinds of movies nominated for Oscars this year, and frankly, the last few... Why is it that this kind of a movie wouldn't be considered for an Oscar in a million years, a few years back, but now we praise it as a masterpiece worthy to stand next to Titanic?!

With a few really good movies nominated for the Oscars, there are bound to be a few more which have no business being nominated for that distinguished Academy Award.

But...it seems political correctness and desperation to look 'woke' have started changing even those respected institutions.

I say change it in a way where you give more chances, roles, opportunities to minorities or the oppressed, not nominating them for Oscars - because that's the least you (the Hollywood community and the Academy) can do!

611
LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• People respected the academy?
    Star wars lost to Annie hall, saving private Ryan lost to Shakespeare in love,

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 10

• So... I think basing the events of Get Out in science actually makes it a lot better than The Skeleton Key. Why? Because it means the hero is fighting human beings. The second you get magic involved, everything just goes down hill. You can explain everything away with "magic." The events of Get Out are rooted JUUUST enough in science to be remotely plausible and to make the plot interesting.

The other thing is... just because the basic plot of a movie is the same, does not make it the same movie. I just got through reading a list of similar plot points between Black Panther and Iron Man 2. Which one came first? Iron Man 2. Which one was better? Black Panther.

I must admit I've not seen the skeleton key, but I HAVE analyzed Get Out. Just because something is a "ripoff" doesn't mean it can't be better or that the creators even did it intentionally. I had an idea for a horror game once and as I described it to a friend he said "so basically amnesia?" (a game that I'd never played, never seen played, nor had any desire to play). Did that make my idea any less valid? If done correctly... no. If done poorly, people could just call it a shitty knock off. Get Out was anything BUT shitty. It was incredibly well shot, directed, acted, and played out. Hints at what's going to happen are all throughout the movie, but none of them blatantly give it away. The plot twists are well executed whether or not someone predicted them based on trailers or from just knowing movies really well.

Truthfully... it's not about race or political correctness. It's possible if Get Out had been the one made... well whenever the skeleton key was made, that it would have received nothing and the skeleton key (if it was truly as well made as Get Out) would have been nominated for the oscar.

The major thing though, is don't assume that, because you didn't notice or understand what made Get Out a masterpiece that it wasn't worthy of the award.

• good lord, why are you so butthurt about this movie? holy hell, plus, a lot of movies are similar to a bunch of movies.

and guess what, despite universal acclaim, lego movie didn't even get a single nomination at the oscars, including best animated film... boss baby even got nominated for best animated short film. movies get shafted all the time. get over it. hell, saving private ryan lost to shakespeare in love... let that sink in

• Jordan Peele plainly said he loves horror movies, and got inspiration from other horror movies.. Skeleton Key may be one of the places he got inspiration from with the whole Body snatchin issue... Also you should have put a spoiler Warning for people who may not have seen the movie.. But, Get Out a good message behind it, and great actin from Daniel Kaluuya.. That's why it was nominated.. I guess.. But it doesn't matter cause it was a good movie regardless..

• I've not seen it yet, but Get Out seems to be one of those movies where if someone doesn't like it, they're instantly labeled racist. And that just kind of makes me not want to watch it. I mean, hell, I've already been called sexist and all sorts of other vile crap just because I didn't like the Wonder Woman movie as much as everyone else.

• The Oscars are joke. Look how much influence Weinstein had on winners. I think were all getting tired of Hollywood's bullshit.
    https://youtu.be/LItdTkVlKrk

• It seems you either need to ride the current wave of PC or risk being crushed underneath it. . .

• lol looks like you really hate "Get Out@😂

• Very intriguing

• never even heard of skeleton key

• No, Brokeback mountain was snubbed by the academy

What Girls Said 6

• I thought this would have more comparison between the two movies. I don't pay much attention to what the Oscars or the Academy says because I mostly watch movies that don't aim to be nominated. I thought it was funny that you said voodoo was more believable that science. Even if it isn't possible now it is the possibility of science being able to do something like that more believable.

• You obviously missed the point of GET OUT, and it's not a ripoff. It's pointing out the bullshit white people do while trying to be like blacks I'm certain ways

• It's the Oscars. Do you know how many movies get snubbed every year? Half the time the movies that rack up every year, nobody hears of.

• Get Out and The Skeleton Key only have very surface level similarities. If you want to see where Get Out actually took it's inspiration look at movies like the Stepford Wives and Rosemary's Baby. Not only are similar elements carried over, but the creators of Get Out have flat out said that these were the inspirations behind it. Get Out is very obviously the Stepford Wives with Black people. It was never hidden. As for the Skeleton Key not being acknowledged by the academy. It was a run of the mill horror film with no poignant message. Just because the Academy doesn't like something doesn't mean you can't.

• Just because something has a similar premise doesn't make it a rip off and doesn't mean the Skeleton Key is a good movie. Yes the body stealing is similar but get out isn't really about that, it's an allegory racism within modern America, that is it's primary motive. It's like comparing Battle Royale with the Hunger Games. Yes they both involve kids killing kids in an arena like set up, but Battle Royale mainly deals with the ethical debates around Suicide as well as survival, the Hunger Games is actually more interested in exploring a cruel dictatorship and reality tv.

• Why does this bother you so much?