Why is "The Walking Dead" so successful?

I know that some people are big fans of it, otherwise they would cancel the series.
But, I don't understand why is so popular. It seems confusing to me.
So, why does so many people like it?

I'm not trying to argue with the fans, I just want to understand the reason of its success.

1233

Most Helpful Guy

• Because of the quick changes compared to other dramas, while still staying consistent with the suspense that ties the slow parts together.

There is no 'safety'. As soon as you think you think things are going well, the show rips the light away. You eventually become just like the people in the show are: Cynical. You know the worst is going to happen, you just don't know when.

Characters you hate but relate to are effective in dramas, and The Walking Dead pulls that off very well.

• What he said... also zombies... people love shooting zombies/seeing them get shot... or I do anyway. XD

Most Helpful Girl

• I really like the story, the characters are also really good. It's completely different than anything that came before it in my opinion. There were movies about zombies, but this show really got to people. I think because we really get to know the characters in an intimate way. Little pieces of their stories each episode and the characters change and develop over time.

I like how people who didn't know each other at all, came together and formed a group to help keep each other alive. It really speaks to our origins as people. We used to be in tribes or groups and hunted and kept each other alive. It goes back to that sense, when people were primal. In a time where everyone is connected by phones and computer screens, people are connecting in real time on this show and are facing real threats to their lives.