I feel like I'm struggling as a guitar player, maybe as a musician in general. Help?

Lately I've been feeling like I want to become a better guitar player, learn to play lead a little bit better, but I'm not sure why, other than I am just absolutely sick of playing rhythm and strumming chords over... and over... and over again. I want to be able to learn how to play cool licks and riffs, all the cool impressive stuff that lead guitar players play, and I practice my scales but every time I try to solo, it just sounds boring and stale. I've tried studying music theory on guitar and while it does help a little and it seems easy enough on paper, I try to apply it to playing guitar and it's almost a completely different story. I'm just sick of being the guy strumming chords and let's face it, no one pays attention to rhythm guitar players hardly unless they're singing lead, otherwise most crowds watch for the drummer and lead guitar player. I don't know, maybe I'm trying too hard or maybe even doing it for all the wrong reasons. Any help or insight is definitely appreciated. Thanks.

13

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, the best you can do is get lessons from a professional or ask anyone you know how to do it. It's hard to just to look up the information on your own and try to apply it. I know lessons aren't cheap, but it's probably the only thing you can do right now. Since you have that drive to learn, it'll be quicker to pick up when someone else is helping you. I'm a musician too, so I understand.