What are some good books you have read recently?

Looking for something I might enjoy.

1516

Most Helpful Girl

• The last book I actually finished was a famous book, Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama, which was of course fantastic, although it lost a lot of its tension towards the end. An empty spaceship is infinitely more exciting than a populated one. But it's a bold book - worth reading!

Then I started two books, which I haven't finished reading yet (I am very slow with reading because of dyslexia) - Riverfinger Women by Elana Dykewomon, and another famous book, Crime and Punshment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Both began tremendously beautifully, and I intend to finish them eventually.

If you'll allow broadening the defintion of book to include websites (making it an extremely broad definition), then I've been reading the poems of Catallus, who I love, as archived on negenborn. net. This is my favourite so far:

"Flavius, unless she were unpretty and inelegant, you would want to speak
    of your darling to Catullus and you wouldn't be able to keep quiet, but
    you love some feverish harlot. You are ashamed to admit this. For your bed
    shouts that you, vainly quiet, do not lie for empty nights fragrant with
    garlands and Syrian ointment, and the bolster equally worn away on this
    side and that, and the creaking and movement of your shaking bed. There's
    no point in being quiet about your debauchery. Why? You would not reveal
    such tired from debauchery flanks unless you were up to something silly. Therefore
    tell us whatever you have, whether its good or bad. I want to describe you
    and your love to the sky in my nice little verse."

that's hiarious!!! get fucking dunked on, flavius!! oh my god!! I've also been reading Sappho - which is lifechanging, and takes about five minutes in total - and Francois Villon, who murdered a priest! and is a tremendous poet.

Most Helpful Guy

• Just finished Chad Harbach's "The Art of Fielding," which I think is worth a read for anyone, even those who don't care about sports or baseball. It's not really about either, though the main character is a baseball player in college.

Beyond that, I'm mostly a student of the classics, which means I usually don't bother recommending books because nobody will ready them. :P My list of favorites reads like an English professor's syllabus.

• tell me your favourite classics!

• Heavy stuff, but, in honor of the author's passing on Saturday, we should all pick up Elie Wiesel's Night/Dawn/Day trilogy, read it, and reflect on what should never happen again.

Lest we forget.

• That was supposed to be my own opinion, sry.