Do you usually try to figure out the meaning of songs or just enjoy the music?

Do you try to understand what the singer is singing about or just enjoy the music without knowing what it's about?
  • Try to figure it out
  • Just enjoy it
  • Other?
    Vote C

911

Most Helpful Guy

• I like listening to songs, figuring out what the lyrics mean, and throwing my own personal interpretation on them. I figure that songs aren't necessarily meant to be interpreted only how the artist made them, but how one personally feels about them.

Like for example, the song Iris by Goo Goo Dolls was actually about a movie with an angel coming to Earth, falling in love, and leaving. However, I feel the lyrics can mean so much other than that. It can be a song about romance, depression, lost love-- you name it. If I was resolute in keeping the lyrics to the original interpretation, I'd be limiting the emotion and hence enjoyment of the song.

Instead, I'd rather try and "figure it out," but only with my own version of it. I interpret it how I want to interpret it.

• Yeah I think that's one of the reasons they don't make the lyrics so clear, so you can interpret them as you wish

• This exactly 🙌🏼

Most Helpful Girl

• I prefer to just enjoy it. I like songs with no lyrics mostly, so I can just relax and enjoy.