Why can't I get anyone to play this role?

Alright, I'm in high school and I'm in a creative writing class. One of my screenplays were selected to be in the school play. In the screenplay I have five roles and only four are filled out. No one wants to be Nelson. It's a screenplay about racism against black people. the main character ( Nelson) gets afraid of his attackers and hides. Then Nelson ends up getting protected and recused by a female character. I asked several black guys to play as Nelson and they all said no. Two guys acted out the script, One said no and the other said the story is poorly written and refused to have any part in it. Does anyone know why the guys at my school are acting like this? Why can I get people to play the attackers, the woman characters but I can't get a black guy to play Nelson? :/

34

Most Helpful Guy

• No guy at high school age wants to be put in a weak role where they need to be rescued. You may need to rewrite the part to make the guy maybe afraid at first then the girl helps him be more confident and he stands up for himself instead of getting rescued.