Where did all the teen movies go? Do you miss them?

Teen and high school movies used to be so popular. The '80s had John Hughes films like The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink. The '90s were a treasure trove of teen films like Pump Up the Volume, Wayne's World, and Clueless. The early 2000s gave us Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, Superbad, and the classic Mean Girls. At one time, it seemed like these movies would come out every year, but today they are almost extinct. (Or maybe just too small to notice.) Easy A was almost 7 years ago now. :(

It's the same situation on TV. Years ago, they had Beverly Hills 90210, Parker Lewis, Head of the Class, Saved by the Bell, Felicity, Popular, and One Tree Hill, just to name a few. But all these shows are now gone, with nothing to take their place.

Instead, we have the "YA" genre which, although it focuses on school-age kids, is mostly fantasy and sci-fi: things like The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Maze Runner, The Mortal Instruments/Shadow Hunters, The 100, The Vampire Diaries, etc. But I wouldn't exactly call these "teen" or "high school" shows and a lot of them are shitty. Frankly the YA audience deserves better.

Do you miss high school movies and shows? Why do you think they went away?

• Where did all the teen movies go? Do you miss them?Yeahhh, I miss them!
  • Where did all the teen movies go? Do you miss them?Nope, sorry, they were LAME
  • Where did all the teen movies go? Do you miss them?Undecided - see results
    Vote C

12