Thoughts on games and buying content in it with actual money?

Does anyone else find it annoying when you install a game (whether that would be on a mobile phone/PC/Xbox/Play station/Nintendo) and you want to get the really cool things or upgrade things in it, but the only way to do that is to fork out actual money to get it?

What happened to buying a game for around $20.00+ and have EVERYTHING included in it?

*cries* πŸ˜­πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜“

• I know them feels 😪😥
    53%(10)64%(43)Vote69%(33)
  • Mod and cheats FTW
    26%(5)24%(16)Vote23%(11)
  • What you talking about Willis?
    21%(4)12%(8)Vote8%(4)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Guy

• These games are not quality games, so I know that feel.
    It was simply monetized and I do not support such systems.

It all began with expansion packs. Then came the DLCs. Then came the micro transactions and pay2win.
    Now we get only indie games, haha simulators and simply shitty games.

Which is why I like the old games not past the year 2007 and games from 1994!

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on how you view it.

Value is a difficult thing to determine in the software world from a consumer standpoint... and it is usually the ends justify the means.

I personally don't care so long as you dont have to purchase additional items to be able to get the valure of the game. Anything offered above that it is reasonable to offer a market that sells additional things and let the gamer decide how they want to participate.

However, when you get to the point that you have to purchase additional items to be able to complete the game you paid full market price for, then that is where i would draw the line.

Saying that a game developer cannot offer additional game play, art, items, upgrades unless they are free places an unnecessary restriction around the market and will lead to lower quality offerings.

But, there absolutely must be the right balance nd people should vote with their wallets and offer feedback to the game devs when they step out of bounds because it is a practice that can be abused.

What Guys Said 34

• its basically criminal

• Yes, I hate it big time because totally ruins the fun out of every single game that has them. And it's another ways to allure people into having extra exclusive expansion packs for those games that people buy these days. The video game companies always worry about their money, a whole lot more than what the costumers want. Because if we had it our way then those developers would think that we are freeloaders & will take full advantage of them. Unfortunately, they are doing it to all of us & they only see the positive in this, because it helps them a whole lot more than us when it comes to money. This whole video game is like a full monopoly game where you as a costumer with money and video game developers with the games make a trade to see if both of you would make a fair trade. And if 1 or both people doesn't have an agreement on something, then no one gets anything at all. In other words: if the trade between money and video games doesn't work, then the deal is off for both parties of the trade.

• Ugh, yeah that's like every game these days. You get basically an unfinished version of a game so that they can add in the finishing parts of a game with "DLC" for $15-$20.

It's madness!! Games already burn you out of $60-$80 now. And now they want even MOREπŸ˜“. My poor wallet.

• I'm okay with it really, I've always been the "make do" type. Doesn't matter what tools they give me, when you got game like mine, you can make do without any upgrades!

XD

But honestly, I'm just too busy being amazed at all the high quality, free to play games out there now (League of Legends, Team Fortress, Planetside, etc). What an age we live in!

• It's pretty cool how you can be satisfied with all the make do stuff. I think I would lose interest and want to see what other things I could get IF I paid money lol

Oh yeah those games are definitely DLC. Be careful of those ones. Sure they're free but a majority of the content cost munnneyyyyy πŸ˜‘πŸ˜Ά but yeah man the quality is awesome sauce πŸ˜¬πŸ‘πŸ½

• Its because you need money to do everything. Including playing a game that is not real. True everything should be included. But not with a lot of these new games. Gotta spend real money to buy things to unlock stuff, etc

• Yeah it use to not be like that. Ages back you only needed to unlock levels or win missions and you were given rewards. Now it's you buy the game, and if you want more things you need to pay. Sometimes it can require you to play for months and months or otherwise pay $30.00 for hmm a tomahawk lol

• I'm not impatient but I'm learning to be one.. Slowly but surely lol Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

• Lol that is nice your patient. lol what game are you playing that is charging $30 for a tomahawk? It must be some cool game.

• Yeah I hate that i miss the old days when the only things you had to buy were cosmetics or something. Now a days it's like hey lets take this full game and cut it up into tiny bite sized pieces and sell it to the players piece by piece for 19.99... they'll never catch on.

Luckily not all games and or companies do this.

• LOL that first part was amusingly true πŸ˜‚

I really find that hard to believe when a lot of those games are around! But I am definitely sure there are a handful around.. Left.. Still

• Haha yeah unfortunately.

Well it is true, Titanfall 2 is a good example of one such game you get a great campaign and multiplayer and as thanks for buying and supporting the game every DLC is free so new weapons, gear, titans etc all free. But they give you a shop were you can buy things like camo for your pilot and titan and insignias or deluxe skins for your titans so basically cosmetics only but only if you want them, you don't have to buy them.

But everything game changing is free which is pretty nice.

• Oh yeah I call that criminal marketing sis... you advertise yourself as "for free" and once you're a member you have to start paying for everything that is useful on the site.
    I generally immediately leave such sites. Wanna have nothing to do with such bastards 8) 8)

• the intent is to provide a means for continuous support for the game. If they just sell it once, completely and entirely, there's no way they could afford to continue upgrading and expanding on it a couple of years later.

• Marketing tricks are universal online. There's always a basic version but then when that gets boring they offer an upgrade.. at a price.
    It's just like a lot of relationships these days.

• TouchΓ¨ Marty touchΓ¨! You are definitely right about the basic "standard" part then wanting to upgrade there's definitely a price to pay (I feel like there is a story behind this but I think I know what you mean) *taps nose* πŸ˜‰πŸ˜Ž

• Hmm I bet, but I'm unsure how it works there

• A lot more family input into relationships, in general. Relatively few women are mistresses of the bosses and that sort of thing.

• What are you talking about youngster? This has kept the price of games down. You don't know/remember, but Donkey Kong Country for the SNES cost about $100. It wasn't cheap or $20. The only $20 game you could find back then was at some creepy guy's garage sale and it was usually missing the box and half busted.
    Games are actually cheaper if you account for inflation. The price of an N64 game was $50 back in the day.

• Games are still $50.00 lol

What I'm saying is that back in the day you could buy a game and have EVERYTHING included in it. Whether that would be types of clothing, certain weaponry, maps, unlocking all the cool cars and motorbikes. You can't really do it now.. hence why some games are DLC now.

• You ignored the part about inflation. $50 in the 90's is about $70-$80 now. Games like Minecraft, No Man's Sky and Tales From Borderlands were all $20 at release. It's only because the programmers had DLC in mind when they released the games.
      The same concept has been applied to computers/laptops. It used to be that a Windows PC came with Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint and a bunch of other crap which would raise the price of your PC. Now people have the option to purchase those things which bring the price of a PC way down.

• Izumiblu explained it well. Most of the time it's just additional (which can be valuable to any game)

"It used to be that a Windows PC came with Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint and a bunch of other crap which would raise the price of your PC. Now people have the option to purchase those things which bring the price of a PC way down"

Yes I understand. I just prefer to buy everything that is included. What you said about the whole PC thing (comes with Microsoft word/excel/powerpoint) for this set price opposed to The PC costing this low but if you want any extras that will be more depending what you get (whether that would be Microsoft word blah blah blah).

I think it just defers with everyone. I think most of the time it would be considered a better "deal" to have everything included

• Yeah I know how you feel. I miss those good old days too. Its just for marketing its a way for them to make more money. And obviously its working since there are people out there willing to pay for it. Its like for the older consoles as well like the xbox 360 halo 3 was like that. You'd buy the game and in order to further play the other types of ranked games online you had download the extra map packs with microsoft points which costed real money.

• Oh yeah! Assassins creed syndicate is like that too πŸ˜’ But yeah it's how they make money! For sure fire sure πŸ™ƒ

• I like them. There is generally enough interest to keep me playing with spending any money at all :) Example: Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes..

• LOOL! Haha are you happy spending money on buying extra content in games? It kind of sucks for me to be honest, I hate it, I don't know how you could love it but it's cool :)

• *without Come on, you got the jist of that..

• Oh damn πŸ˜‚ That was confusing for a second lol

• I don't see a problem with it. If it is my money I have a right to use it on whatever I want. It is just another addiction like alcohol or ciggarates, which are much more dangerous and self-destructive than spending thousands of dollars on fu king gacha and not getting a single fu king rare!!! true story.

• Dlc is cool when the content and the price is good.
    The two dlc packs for the witcher 3 were amazing. Somuch content for so little money.

• As long as they are reasonably valued it wouldn't be an issue. Sometimes it's so highly overpriced it's insane -__-

• I know the feeling, and I dislike it immensely.

• If you think about it, micro-transactions are actually in the consumer's favor. Why? You only have to pay for the things you actually want. Paying full price for a game is the same as paying for every micro transaction in it, which is pretty stupid considering you're only gonna use less than half of the stuff. You're actually saving money this way.

The only downside is that it makes you feel silly for having to say "I bought a purely cosmetic purple tophat for a dollar" compared to saying "i bought a video game for $60", despite the fact that you are actually saving $59.

• In most cases game may cost "x" amount, but the upgrades like different clothing, weaponry, more missions, variety of transport, quickly making equipment appear straight away instead of waiting for hours etc can cost from $5.99 USD per item. Sometimes buying gold bars or coins (each are portioned and the more you want the higher it is) can cost up to $160.00 (which would be more expensive for me because the Australian dollar is cheaper compared to the U. A dollar). Which in that situation sucks hardcore for me.

But I do see your point and it's very true also

• Yeah it's bullshit. When you buy a game that should be it. There was none of that crap back in the 90's

• I remember the old days: when you bought a game, you were paying for 100% of it ;-;
    To be fair, that still happens in many games- some are unashamed money grabbers, and some let you pay for skins/cosmetics, etc.

• I miss those games. Having to unlock levels to get rewarded with things i feel is much nicer. But everything is all about money nowadays, it's becoming annoying. Especially games

• Yeah. I don't know for sure, but I would blame it on the rise of mobile games. Candy Crush and shit like that. It's all about those micro-transactions.

• I do sometimes buy games but I never buy additional content. Nope.

• It's piss poor marketing strategy.
    Jimquistion talks about this trend a lot in his videos and how it sucks!!!
    Check him out.

• Oh awesome! "Jimquistion?" Thanks man πŸ‘ŒπŸ½

• Well I play cracked games mostly... But subsumed I purchase some rare games like battlefield 4 and just cuase 3 and yeaa all those downloadable content and shit is crazy !

• Tell me about it!! It's really annoying -___-"

• Yup like in just cause 3 there is a new map which costs like 1500 β‚Ή to me and the while game is like 2500β‚Ή when u purchaed it :-( hahaha

• These people only want money from us

• I have always limited my self to f2p and if it gets too repetitive i either get bored after a while and move on or try to find ways to speed it up.

• I know what you mean. Ugh it sucks. Or how about when five different retailers all offer five different exclusive things or content if you buy from them? You can never collect it all or have a complete game that way

• That whole five different thing offering crap is a headache -___- why people's just whyyyy?

• I think this trend in gaming needs to end. Free to play is just a pathetic scam to get your money

• no greater crime against humanity

feellikeagrownup.files.wordpress.com/.../leonard.jpg

• I found a game where you can earn the in game currency so you dont have to pay for all these cool things. Really loving itπŸ˜ƒ

• Omg 😰😨 Lucky!

• I like how you "accidentally" found it. It's hard for me to actually do that lmfao XD

• Try searching the game genre you like on YouTube. You'll be surprised how many games there are.

• yes i find it very annoying

• All they care about is money.

• Personally I find it stupid...

• I literally have these issues daily

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 10

• Yep. Hate it

• ea is the worst~ i have been a simmer since i was 14 years old, meaning that i have been with the franchise for 16 years.

i think of the sims 2 base game; ditto ts3 and 4. yes, they all have expansions and stuff packs (plus the online store, which i probably own close to 3/4 of)... but both base games + eps have become more and more anemic with each iteration.

• Wow! 16 years! You're in there good and deep 😢 I wouldn't be surprised if you owned 3/4 of the online store lol but it's awesome in a way. A big acheivement in a small way πŸ˜‹

• They do it because they can make more on microtransactions than they can by just selling the game with all the features it *should* include eg. The Sims 4 and their pool expansion pack nonsense.

• Oo a pool expansion! Yes that is definitely true lovely

• Yup, it's a piss off. Expansions and all of that stuff can cost damn near the same amount as a game.

• Not even once. There should be a commercial with some crackheads with controllers in their hands crying in an abandoned building like: "I used to be the prom queen."

• I get you :c
    and my parents dont let me buy in game stuff.
    So I just had to get steam gift cards.

• It sucks, but I must admit I have done it many times.

• p2w. Luckily, I have a power saver and a cheat engine to get around those. 20 dollars to unlock DLC for every game? Or 20 dollars for every game and it's legal? Plus, I get to do runs with particular items and challenges and things like that, which just add even more to the game play. This one time for pokemon Pearl, I did a bidoof run, (only bidoof, no evolving it or anything) except for one had a great move set, like hyper beam, thunder, blizzard, etc.

• This is why people come up with cheats...

• Fuck yeah.