Do parents really have favourites?

A lot of parents don't want to admit that they have favourites because they either feel really guilty about it or don't want to hurt their children's feelings. But be honest... do you have favourites? :) I've always wondered about this and since I don't have children yet I want to know :)

48

Most Helpful Guy

• Speaking both as a child and as a parent, yes, I think parents have favorites, but it's not that simple. It depends for what. It depends on the activity or situation.

My parents treated my brother and I how we needed to be treated as individuals. Sometimes that had the appearance of favoritism. And my brother has a great sense of humor, so sometimes I knew they enjoyed his company more than mine. I also know that I'm more reliable and sensible than he is. He probably felt left out because of that. I think we were loved the same, though.

With my daughters, I see it the same way. With any given activity, one or the other will be more engaged and more interesting. I honestly love them the same, though.

Most Helpful Girl

• yeah of course they do but that doesn't mean they don't love the rest.
    It's also not that they will pick one over the other.
    It's hard to describe.

What Guys Said 7

• I'm sure a lot of parents have favorites, but I wouldn't say I do.
    I would say that i love my children differently. That is, I appreciate the differing aspects of their character. I have different memories of each. The child that is more like me is more fun in some ways, yet they are more likely to get on my nerves. (Probably because they have my bad qualities, too.)

• yes they can have favorites and it sucks but hey life ain't fair!

• Do you have children? :)

• haha not sure.. i mean ya she's a monster sometimes but she's my little monster

• So what are you going to do when she's old enough to date & guys keep asking her out all the time? Lol :)

• some do and some dont

• Did your parents?

• well im not sure about that, but im pretty sure that they love all of us very much.

• Very diplomatic answer lol :)

• I'm an only child and still not the favourite

• Funniest comment ever LOL :)

• I do, my daughter my favorite.

• Absolutely. My grandfather admitted my mother was his least favorite child.

• I understand having a favourite child (kind of) but I think it's hurtful to actually admit it :( How does your mother feel about it?

• That sounds really dangerous/sad and I'm sorry that happened :( my family is pretty dysfunctional too but I know you deserve better

• Blood does not mean family. That's for sure.

• yes they do! its not that they want to but it happens!

• I know what you mean :) but the majority of them deny it like crazy lol

What Girls Said 3

• I don't have favorites but I do love my kids differently. Equally but differently because they are all 3 different and we have a our own special bond with each if them.

• Love that answer :) So would you say you admire different characteristics in all of them?

• Thank you and exactly! My daughter is super adventurous and really thoughtful, my son is full throttle 24 hours a day but the goofiest kid you could ever meet, and my youngest is only a few months old, and I don't know if it's that I got to nurse him longer, but he looks at me like I hung the moon. They each have these things about them that we use to get on their level and bond and even show love with them. My son doesn't always want kisses, he want me to shoot him with a nerf gun and scream that I love him lol, my daughter wants me to hug her, kiss her, snuggle her and watch a movie or youtube video. My bany he just wants to eat lol. Sorry this is so long lol

• Your kids sound adorable! <3 I'm only 21 years old but always wanted to get married and have kids. I hope to have such cute children too lol :)

• Yes. I have always been my Daddy's favourite, but my Mummy's least favourite 😢

• Aww, you seem like a lovable person though :) How many siblings do you have?

• **my** autocorrect

• I guess you're more mature than me 😂
      You're very sweet. Hugs x x

• Yup! My parents have favourites and im not the one. Its always the last born, im the oldest so my parents like my two other younger siblings more than me. I understood that when they started to ignore what i want.

• Really? That's so odd because my sister is the oldest and my mom always liked her better but my dad liked me better lol :)