Do You Get Why Some People Think Unsuccessful Albums Are Bad Albums?

@madhatters4 @WhiteSteve @OlderandWiser @Dipsy @Likes2drive @abc3643 @lightbulb27 @HorrorFan @Zorax @cosytoasty @NexAngelus @tenchu11 @Dipsy @HaveNoName @Unit1 @Lucifer_666 @Empatheticlady @LittleAmyP @datgirl @datgirl

210

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, I guess people just assume that since they weren't successful that they're unsuccessful for a reason. So they just kinda assume that it's not good and don't give it a try. That's just my theory at least.

Most Helpful Guy

• I get it, but it's a lazy thought process to come to that conclusion. Back in the day before music was so easily accessible via the Internet, I was always hyping this one album from The Roots from like 1994 as "the best album you never heard." I'm sure now it's as simple as googling The Roots' music and the entire catalog comes up, but back then you had to discover stuff on your own or hear about it through word of mouth. Their album "Do You Want More?" is still one of my favorites when I'm looking for a laid back vibe. I don't know if it's since gained more popularity (does the younger generation even think in terms of "albums" anymore?๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘ด๐Ÿป), but in the late 90s and early 2000s, when The Roots were at peak popularity, a lot of people still didn't know about it, and I put a lot of people I knew onto it. So I don't think it sold very well, at least at that point, but I still think it's my favorite album of theirs๐Ÿ‘

• Kids now a days still get albums now but it probably was more people getting the album in the 90s and 00 (:

What Girls Said 1

• they ain't. I do not agree

• How come you feel that way?

• I agree! Which albums do you put in that category?

• well, my fave is "the day" by day6. no-one knows them yet I enjoy their music a lot

What Guys Said 9

• i can understand the reasoning behind this thinking but it is rather illogical. some of the most revered albums weren't successful upon release. so judging an album purely on sales or radio play can be flawed

for example Weezer's Pinkerton album sold terribly and was voted as one of the worst albums the year it was released. however, now it is considered one of their best albums

• Really? :o That's unbelievable

• another album that was poorly reviewed and didn't sell all that well initially was the Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street... reviewers hated it and a lot of people said it was the end of the rolling stones and their best days were behind them... and of course they've been touring and releasing music for 40+ years since that album and it is now considered by many to be their best album

• No matter how unsuccessful that album was it wouldn't have been the end since they had so much success before then

• I am quite fond of a few albums that are relatively obscure and never found commercial success.

• Because most people are dumb. Albums can be unsuccessful even if they are very good because lots of people get most songs illegally, on various mp3 sites.

• I guess for the same reason like movies , when they get bad reviews people don't tend to want to see them , meanwhile it may be fine for you though

• They only focus on record sales and not the actual quality of the music. Those are pop music propaganda whores who have no taste in music lol

• I miss the 1990s when a lot of popular albums were actually enjoyable to listen to

• That's wrong... an unsuccessful album is unsuccessful because people didn't buy that album enough, that doesn't mean it's bad.

• There is no such thing as a "bad album". There is always a bunch of people who would like THAT album.

• I have bad albums but they include some great songs

• Success albums are just more mediocre, so they appeal to the average people.
    If the music gets a certain level of complexity most people can't "understand" it anymore.

• They're a lot of popular albums that are good too you know?

• 1) Ok last reply. It's NOT about taste. It's NOT about "being good". That's up to everyone.
      BUT I get why some people think that way. I explained that period.
      2) Back then... like 60s, 50s maybe. You realize people who grew up with it are still alive.
      If you want to know if a song is timeless you have to wait way longer. When after generations still everybody knows a song, then it's a timeless classic. But I don't see that for most Top 100 albums.
      How many Top 10 albums from 1999 do you know? Maybe you still recognize 2/3 of it.
      If you go back to 1989 it's maybe half of it you heard of.
      Then 1979. Even less. You can't deny the overall trend even with a few exceptions.

• I don't get why you don't like any successful albums there are tons of kids and kids in their 20s who like music from all the past decades