How come cops in tv and movies don't wear their bulletproof vests?

Like In the opening of Daredevil Season 2 a cop gets shot in what appears to be the chest and its p obvious that the they were severely wounded. But this is a reccuring thing now that I think, like cops never appearing to be wearing standard issue body armor

and my very first job was at a family friends company that made bulletproof vests so I know more than average about this kinda shit

223

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe because it is not real? Or they might be wearing one underneath

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it is dramatic license the makers of the movie feel they need cop casualties in certain part of their movie and the chest shot is most dramatic shot to film.

What Girls Said 1

• they want to make scenes look more dangerous and want you to relate to the characters, maybe

What Guys Said 22

• Many cops don't use them on a regular basis, as you say you know someone manufactoring them, I have spent quite a few years with bulletproof vests on my. And it's most common to use during heavy duty work, or some plance where shit really is going down.
    Here however what buzz me, is why thr US government stoped a possible contract between Dragonskin and US forces, as we all know the brand Dragonskin is way lighter than the regular mix of ceramic arramid plates, and spectra that is used in todays bulleptroof wests. And Dragonskin also withstand multiple 308. Laupa, and series of 7.65 mm rounds..
    Anyway, back to your first question. if it's low risk warrent and low risk work, I would ratter have mine in the back of my car, and take it out when needed. And feel comfy on job. Cause man, with a full gearup, uniform, communication, baton, pepper, cs, teaser, two sets of cuffs, gun, and maybe a two hand gun, it starts weighing.
    Also, most peaceofficers are there to maintain peace not let people feel like it's a war going on.

• I say they wear them underneath... most likely... or they want to make it appear that they do... either way Daredevil season 2 was awesome! Keep watching it you'll love it. I can't wait for the defenders...

• Well for one a lot of cops don't wear them in real life either unless they're patrolling in areas with known firearms or firearm related violence.

Secondly most guns can pierce light body armor heck a 45. cal from a m1911 can go through light body armor in some cases.

Also there is no way know what kind of caliber and or type of bullet a perp way fire at you.

• Caliber of the bullet and type of body armor matter. AK 7.62 round at a insignificant range will cause severe damage to light body armor. Also, body armor will not always stop the penetration force of a round. Even if it does severe bruising can occur and the wind will get knocked out of you. Also not all police wear their vests while on duty.

• yes, I know, rifle rounds and jacketed rounds need ceramic plates, to stop them, but this was a civilian m1911 meaning there probably was no jacketed round, something a vest WOULD stop

• its a m1911
      its a trend for the MCU for everyone to be packing a.45 m1911 variant

• Marvel Cinematic Universe? Well, I only watched that opening scene once and didn't get a good view of the weapon. To most people, they wouldn't know the "trend" for the MCU. Your question was why do officers in tv shows not wear their body armors. I highlighted that the officer you're mentioning was a female. Especially that specific female. She has short and petite looking, which is why she could've looked like she sustained more damage. Also why the gunshot threw her back. Again, the caliber is unknown and pistol. Even though it's a trend, I have to watch the scene again to verify the weapon used

• Many cops in real life don't wear them. They're also not guaranteed to protect against serious injury, especially with multiple bullets striking near each other.

• Because the vests are heavy, restricting, and it makes things more dramatic to show the police can't help because they are being hurt just like the civilians. Also, it makes the heroes look more badass and heroic.

• streamline of show.. I like the never having to change a magazine..
    Hacksaw Ridge is good for Injuries and reality
    go to your local military surplus and put on a old flack jacket, your living in it, hot & sweaty, and after some the vest soaked up sweat and stinks.

• Lazy ass writers who want to leave the door open for a wounded cop to complicate the chase of the bad guy.

• Not totally inaccurate to the real world. Vests aren't 100% and are also heavy. They wouldn't wear them lest they needed to

• It's for dramatic effect I guess

• For dramas sake

• Bad ass characters run into danger and don't want gear slowing em down. It's stupid as hell

• because it's TV

• They're badass

• Cause they gotta be hot shots. You can't be a hot shot cop if you're afraid of taking a bullet lol
    It's a movie i guess hahah

• cause its a movie. I guess.

• it would make to much sense

• Not all Police wear bulletproof vests it's more of a guidance than rule.

• first off... television isn't real.

secondly bullet proof vest aren't magic.

• because they never get shot.

• 😂😂😂 LoL

• they want to show how they believe the police are invincible