Let's talk Naruto for a moment. How was Orochimaru supposedly so impressive during his earlier appearances?

Maybe I've just been out of touch with the franchise for too long and so I can only really think of Orochimaru in terms of his later appearances ((at which point he's been long since overshadowed by pretty much everyone else)), but even then I don't see it.

When referring to the time around his debut, I always hear:

"Oh such a menacing villain!"
"How could they ruin such a badass character?"

Okay, menacing?
When I look at him, all I see is a slightly more psychopathic version of your run-of-the-mill capital B badguy. The only truly menacing thing he EVER did was that whole "bloodthirst hallucination" deal.

That's it.

Oh and badass, really?
He was beating down on a bunch of kids who were no older than 13. Sure you can say that he was able to challenge one of the best of the best, but.. pardon me if I'm not too impressed by that considering half of the fight he had backup..

Am I wrong or are people just that easily impressed?

21