Is not drinking immature?

I am kind of old fashioned when it comes to this. I don't drink or smoke or have pre marital sex (nor for religious reasons. I am an atheist) . I get a lot of people telling me that I need to grow up and some people (from college) even tell me to piss of if I tell them that I am not into these things (when asked). I would never judge others for doing it but I like to be the boss of my own body. Do you think I am immature?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• those who call you immature are ironically the immature ones.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No I don't think it's immature. I'm very similar to that, never wear any cleavage, no short skirts, i don't drink or do drugs. And honestly it's all about finding the right friends who won't pressure you into anything

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• Not at all. I think you're to be lauded, personally. If you don't want to do that stuff, you don't have to, and screw anyone who says otherwise.

I mean, what's wrong with wanting to be in control of yourself at all times?

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I think you're great for upholding such ideas. It's your body, it's your life, it's your freedom.

0|1
    0|0
  • If you drink just because they do or they tell you to, thats a sign of bring immature. To me, being mature means making decisions for yourself. If you dont drink because you dont want to, then others should respect that.

0|0
    0|0
  • To go against peer pressure by making the right decisions is very mature. Drinking and smoking is accepted by society, but are actually the immature actions.

0|0
    0|0
  • Them saying "grow up" is showing me how immature THEY are, because it has nothing to do with your maturity, it's a personal choice.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I am like you except I have an occasional beer which is harmless but other than that, I don't smoke or have premarital sex. People shouldn't pressure you so don't give in to it.

0|1
    0|0
  • No it's not immature infact I'd rather someone who drank less and I wouldn't have someone that smokes

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all. There are a lot of insecurities surrounding those kinds of activities. I'm a sober alcoholic, and I've known many others like me. We had all the common experience that when we quit drinking but tried to maintain our old friendships, there was a lot of attitude from our "friends". "Do you think you're better than me" kind of attitude, and often those words exactly. People who do those things often get involved due to peer pressure, and maybe there's some regret. That would likely project in the ways you've described too. Don't worry about it. If anything, you're more mature to not give in to peer pressure. Be true to yourself; you'll certainly have fewer regrets in your own life.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, that isn't what immaturity is. Its a sense of responsibility and control that drives your thinking, which is pretty much the opposite of immature. However, I do encourage you to experience some things. Smoking is just stupid because it's so unhealthy, don't try that ever. But drinking alcohol is a very common social activity and always abstaining just solely on principle is a bit of a party poop. I suggest you try it out in a controlled way. Maybe by yourself one day, start with one mixed drink and stop. See how it feels, how it feels the next morning, etc. Repeat again, maybe just two drinks this time. This way you lessen your limits safely, controlling it and finding what drinks you like and those you don't. This way you can, have a drink or two and not make this issue a big deal while still having control of your body.

0|0
    0|0
  • Is drinking a mature thing to do? No. It has nothing to do with maturity. Just find friends or a boyfriend who thinks the way you do.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's actually more mature. But only if you don't react to their comments.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• No it's actually very mature. Lots of people are like you.

0|1
    0|0
  • no. it is not immature

0|0
    0|0
  • No, not at all

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's only immature if you're self-righteous about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is mature. You care your body.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes