What do you consider to be “screamo”?

What do you consider “screamo”?

I see people write in posts “I like all music except for screamo.” Now, I’m sure there is an official definition somewhere out there, but what do you consider “screamo?”

Perhaps something similar to one of these? Maybe something different? Let me know!

(A post hardcore band)
Glassjaw - Mu Empire

(Band with all hardcore screams)

(Song with mostly cleans, some screams)
Bullet For My Valentine - Hand of Blood

(Song with almost all screams)
Napoleon - Brought Here to Suffer

(Song with almost all screams, but heavier)
Volumes - The Columbian faction

916

Most Helpful Girl

• I listened to like 10 seconds of the first two videos- those two definitely are screamo to me. Basically... it's anything where there's prolonged screaming throughout the song. I wish I could gain an appreciation for this type of music, but it really just feels like a complete assault on the ears :/

Most Helpful Guy

• Well there was 'emo' music. When those kids started growling, that's screamo. I suppose it might as well be synonymous with metalcore, arguably metalcore is just the next step in the same direction.

So I call it the transitory step for that strain of metal.

Now of course whenever anyone says "I like all music except for screamo" they're using it to describe *anything* a little too hard for them because they have no knowledge of metal genres.

• That basically fits my view of it too.

I think that maybe the difference between metalcore and screamo is that screamo has a bit more hardcore influence. (i. e. the scream like Counterparts vs the standard fry scream). It's more of a 'raw' sound vs a polished tone.

What Girls Said 8

• Anything with screaming is screamo to me. Some I like, some not so much. Depends on the intensity and amount of screaming.

• Emo music with a lot of screaming is usually scremo... But so much screaming that you can't really even understand what they're saying.

• Metal music with screaming. Death metal on steroids basically. I mean, it's in the name... "screamo".

• All of those are screamo in the metal genre although Hand of Blood is borderline mainstream metal music with their harmonies, melodies and hooks.

• https://youtu.be/Ti-5MKMOTrQ PTV is awesome
    https://youtu.be/1mjlM_RnsVE my family considers "screamo"

• Oh intetesting, so your family considers monster to be screamo?

On a sidenote, I would like PTV if the clean vocals weren’t so high lol

• I think anything with like hoarse yelling in it. I'm not a fan, it just sounds too angry for me. I explore most genres but that's probably the only one I'll never warm up to. I usually can't even understand them.

• When a 'singer' screams his lyrics instead of singing the lyrics. LMAO my s/o just complained that your songs make him angry. Do those songs make you angry too?

• Haha I actually enjoy metal with screaming/harsh vocals in it. Napoleon, the 4th band linked, is actually my favorite. I can be picky on screaming, but for the most part it actually zens me out. I like the contrast of harsh/clean vocals when done tastefully.

• Huh, interesting. I've heard of the whole satan-worship stereotype before, but I don't think I've heard of the nazi-sympathizer one lol. Granted, I'm not a fan of Rammstein or their style (like Rob Zombie), so I don't really know any of the news that'd be going on around them. My music taste tends to fall under like the videos above (particularly 3 and 4).

• Rammstein was the only famous German non-mainstream band back then apart from Die toten Hosen, and so popular that even mainstream sources talked about them. That's how I learnt that they were popular among white supremacists and neonazis, don't ask me why though. And since they were the only band I knew from that music genre, I thought that's what all are.. yes, I used to paint with a broad brush 🙈

• my type of music

What Guys Said 15

• Screamo is a subcategory of heavy metal, where the vocals are comprised of screeching (not growling, that's death metal). I'd honestly rather people say "I like all music except screamo", than "I like all music except metal". Most people have misconceptions as to what metal is and they assume all metal is that one subcategory.

• musical intensity with "willfully experimental dissonance and dynamics."
    My ears are sensitive so it would depend on how intense the piercing sounds are.

• All of your examples are screamo except hand of blood. Hand of of blood isn't screamo, though it has many screamo parts. I still find it unejoyable.

My rule is that it's screamo If you can't understand most of the lyrics without looking them up. I like loud and brash vocals because they add emotion, but the emotion needs to have meaning. Like okay, you're mad, but what about?

Gimme some lyrics I can understand, because otherwise I may as well listen to rock with swahili lyrics.

• Shit with annoying ass screaming in it, in lieu of actual singing.

• Screamo is usually colloquially used to mean any music with screaming/shouted vocals in it, it doesn't necessarily even have to have heavy instrumentation.

• Screamo to me is the seemingly nonsensical higher pitch shouting. I don't really like the **core screaming. I like death and thrash metal. Death metal vocalists are on a completely different level.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oVW8gcse4g

I don't really listen to the heavy genres anymore, but from time to time I hear some of the newer tunes and I'm mostly disappointed.

• Think people who refer to screamo usually mean metal in general with unclean vocals, wether it is grunting or screaming. They usually classify everything unclean as screamo cause they don't know much about the metal scene

• Its made up genre by bitch made pussies. Im half finnish. Quick fact, Finland has 50.3 "metal" bands for every 100 000 people. Surpassing Norway by a shit ton. At least half. Viking blood loves metal. Period. Stupid question.

• lol so essentially you’re saying that there is no such thing as a category “screamo?”

• Anything really loud with screaming these all are screamo

• Listen to cage the elephant they are screamo to a t

• I wouldn't consider them screamo cause I love them and they're great like awolnation too, they scream, which I found out when I saw them live. But I wouldn't put them into that, just alternative, or indie rock, I don't think they've crossed that line

• Well see they don't classify as indie rock cause compare them to the all American rejects because they are definitely indie rock

• I think they do fall into though. At least, when you look up their genre it does

• Volumes is sick... groovy, then they break into an amazing melodic part out of nowhere. It's cool.

I saw them a couple of years ago co-headlining with Northlane. I was there for Northlane, stayed for Volumes. So tight and clean...

• anything where a motherfucker screams into a microphone

• The Devil Wears Prada
    Underoath
    We Came as Romans

I'm guessing though.

• Rock n roll