Do people still like Musicals?

There was a whole musical craze when Hamilton blew up all over the internet. Following afterwards was Dear Evan Hansen, Be More Chill, Book of Mormon, Heathers, etc. I have a feeling that has died down and nowadays people are more quite about the fact that musicals like this exist.
  • I love musicals!
    Vote A
  • They’re fine...
    Vote B
  • No, not really.
    Vote C
  • I despise them.
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Hamilton was good, because, it has to do with a lot of what's going on in politics right now. States rights vs big government. plus, i was listening to lin manuel talk about why he made the play. he said that he was just sitting around one day, and decided to pick up a book about alexander, that, if he had wanted to make a play about hitler, he would have. it just so happened to be a play about alex, instead.. i mean, yeah, hitler may have been extremely controversial, but, isn't alexander just as?

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think people still do, the issue is that 90% of them are really inaccessible so the musical fanbase is usually made up of very rich elitist snobs who can afford to do things like fly to New York or England for a weekend and stay in a hotel and see a musical one night. For just Hamilton you have to hang around the theater starting at like 5am for a chance to maybe win the lottery and get one (1) ticket or else be cool with seeing it 5 years from now because that's the earliest show time currently available.

It's hard because not many musicals ever get official video releases or tour (and even touring shows can still get pretty steep) so you can buy the official cast album but not do much else. I think that's why musical movies tend to do well, not because they're the most amazing movies, but that might be the only way anyone ever gets to see that musical. Movie tickets are stupidly priced but the average person can get to and afford a movie.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• I have always hated musicals.

Except for two. Cannibal the Musical and something else equally dumb and funny.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like musicals and LaLa Land was good but not the best a musical can be. I saw the Book of Mormon that someone is talking about. I would not pay again to see that pile of trash. Lousy play.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes a little bit. I watched the remake of The Christmas Story the other day it was a musical it was pretty good

1|0
    0|0
  • They're fine, i'm going to see the Book Of Mormon next month

0|0
    0|0
  • I have never liked them very much, but I acknowledge them as an art form.

0|0
    0|0
  • They are, I believe, very popular and have been for many, many years.

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally don't , but other people absoultely live them

0|0
    0|0
  • Not me for sure I prefer opera or an orchesta.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, not really.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never liked them

0|0
    0|0
  • No way I hate musicals with a passion

0|0
    0|0
  • what? u think because a new one that blows the world away isn't coming out every single year that they're not popular anymore? Dear Evan Hansen is still huge af with an obsessed fan base worldwide. Same for Hamilton and many others. They're making a movie of 'Wicked' next year, which will remind people how badass that musical is. :) The only thing wrong with musicals atm is how much tickets cost.

0|0
    0|0
  • I absolutely hate them.

0|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 17

• I will enjoy a musical if I see one, but I think they're a little displaced in modern entertainment since we're so used to free or incredibly cheap access to media. Musicals on the other hand, not only require money, but a hell of a lot, and for sought after musicals like Hamilton, getting seats are very cutthroat. I guess the same could be said for concerts but musicals don't appeal to a wide audience like music can and there's no cheap way to consume a form of it, eg. streaming service.

1|0
    0|0
  • Considering that Lala Land grossed around a half billion dollars worldwide and won Best motion Pucture of 2017 among a pile of other awards. I’d say musicals are alive and well.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't go see a play if there wasn't any singing in it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love musicals 🎶
    Especially funny ones like Shrek the musical. 😂 I laughed my butt off. That and I love ❤❤❤❤😍 romance. ❤❤❤😍

0|0
    0|0
  • Kinda gay in 2017, will be gayer as time progresses.

0|0
    2|0
  • Yes, always will have a fondness for them. They bring me back to childhood

0|0
    0|0
  • I love love love them!! My two favorite are Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, i love them! I was just listening to waitress this morning.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love musicals, people put a lot of work into them, and they're fun to be part of too.

0|0
    0|0
  • I loved musicals but I don’t listen to them as often anymore

0|0
    0|0
  • I doo.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love them. Phantom of the Opera is my favorite.

0|0
    0|0
  • Boring... how boring can u be

0|0
    0|0
  • Love them

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really

0|0
    0|0
  • I like them