Do people still like Musicals?

There was a whole musical craze when Hamilton blew up all over the internet. Following afterwards was Dear Evan Hansen, Be More Chill, Book of Mormon, Heathers, etc. I have a feeling that has died down and nowadays people are more quite about the fact that musicals like this exist.
  • I love musicals!
  • They’re fine...
  • No, not really.
    Vote C
  • I despise them.
    Vote D

1815

Most Helpful Guy

• Hamilton was good, because, it has to do with a lot of what's going on in politics right now. States rights vs big government. plus, i was listening to lin manuel talk about why he made the play. he said that he was just sitting around one day, and decided to pick up a book about alexander, that, if he had wanted to make a play about hitler, he would have. it just so happened to be a play about alex, instead.. i mean, yeah, hitler may have been extremely controversial, but, isn't alexander just as?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think people still do, the issue is that 90% of them are really inaccessible so the musical fanbase is usually made up of very rich elitist snobs who can afford to do things like fly to New York or England for a weekend and stay in a hotel and see a musical one night. For just Hamilton you have to hang around the theater starting at like 5am for a chance to maybe win the lottery and get one (1) ticket or else be cool with seeing it 5 years from now because that's the earliest show time currently available.

It's hard because not many musicals ever get official video releases or tour (and even touring shows can still get pretty steep) so you can buy the official cast album but not do much else. I think that's why musical movies tend to do well, not because they're the most amazing movies, but that might be the only way anyone ever gets to see that musical. Movie tickets are stupidly priced but the average person can get to and afford a movie.