Do the new Star Wars ruin the original Trilogy?

I think that it does. It ruins the original trilogies happy ending. Luke fails to restore the Jedi and the New Republic falls. I can never watch the original films knowing that everything they're fighting for will eventually fail. Han and Leia's love story resulted in a psychopath child, why should I be interested in it now? Luke was supposed to restore the Jedi order hence the title Return of the Jedi. Now he's never going to do that :( Do the new Star Wars ruin the original Trilogy?
  • Yes
  • No

28

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it made narrative sense honestly? His face in front of Vader's funeral pyre was a conflicted one. He was an optimist for sure, but he nearly killed his father, he gave into his anger and was like *this close* to doing it. He would have if the Emperor's gargoyle ass hadn't snapped him out of the daze he'd been in. It has to have weighed on him even with Anakin's force ghost occasionally showing up to give him advice.

Like 3 years ago he'd been a moisture farmer on a shithole sand planet but now, he's a widely renowned war hero and the sole person responsible for reviving an entirely lost civilization. He had to do that by himself because it was expected of him. He was that same guy from Tatooine but now with more experience fighting in a war. Rebooting the Jedi was probably a lot out of his depth but he still did the best he could and clearly had a good thing going for a while since he'd set up a temple and had a lot of students but that kind of stress can destroy a person. You know how a lot of celebs seem to like... lose their minds after they become an overnight sensation, it's kinda the same idea with Luke I think.

Then when Kylo burned all of it to the ground of course he'd be pissed. He worked so goddamn hard and what did he have to show for it? Ashes. Ashes and a new sith lord starting a new war. He's the kinda guy that takes on a lot so he took full blame for Kylo or course and fuck man, you try experiencing half the shit he has and not coming out of it bitter and jaded.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• It's ultimately about the money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ It's called franchise milking. They could have just left it as it was, but because they can still make money off of it, then they'll just keep going at it and make new movies, products, etc. relevant to the franchise. Whether it ruins it or not, there's really not a whole lot anybody can do, because that's entirely on the studios and companies's control, they'll decide what they want to do whether the current established fanbase agrees or likes, so even if that meant that if it's something that will make them money they won't care whether you like it or not. Profits come first, everything else is second, including the fans, the fanbase, the consumers, etc.

I've seen this happen to pretty much every single franchise with sequel after sequel out there.

I mean I had always been a fan of Alien and Predator movies and I was disappointed with the ridiculous bullshit and mess that Alien vs. Predator movies turned out, and that's when I realized the truth, us loyal fans have no control over what the company that holds the rights decide to do, INCLUDING IF DECIDE TO FUCK IT ALL UP AND RUIN IT BECAUSE AS LONG AS THEY CAN MAKE QUICK MONEY OFF OF IT.

But I've also learned to appreciate the original films MUCH MORE because of their bullshit.

@Surgence My advice, if you think reboots, new sequels, etc. for any well known or established franchise won't be good or as consistent or faithful as their original counterparts, then just don't watch them at all and avoid them altogether. Save your money, as well as any possibilities of disappointments altogether.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE