Do you watch sports when your favorite team/athlete isn't doing good?

Let me explain a bit. I live in a country where sports are usually only watched if their favorite is doing good, that's why hockey is a favorite sport. The whole sport is dropped if there isn't a favorite to cheer. There's nothing to watch anymore.

In some other countries it seems that some sports are just so sacred that people watch them no matter who is participating. They have more of a love for the sport itself than any spesific team or an athlete.

I know people who watch the sport for the sport and people who watch the sport for the athletes. Which one are you? You can also mention which sports you watch and if your reason to watch depends on the sport.
  • I watch sports for the athletes.
  • I watch sports for the sports.
  • Other?
    Vote C
I personally watch ice hockey only if Finland is doing good (and only the world championships), I have no additional interest to the sport. It's more of a Finnish fellowship thing. And only other sport I really watch is ski jumping, which I watch for the sport itself.

638

Most Helpful Guy

• I watch sports because I like to watch sports. I have a favorite baseball and football team, but I'll watch regardless of their standings and I'll watch other teams play because I like the sport as a whole more than I like any team. I don't really follow hockey or basketball, but I can definitely watch a game. If someone said "wanna go see a hockey game" I absolutely would. I'd love to catch a game. But I can't set my heart on a team or watch for the sake of stats. Especially hockey. I know this is rich coming from a baseball fan, but the hockey season is way too long. It's like, if you watch the final championship game, then when it's over you get up and go to the bathroom, you come back and the next season has already started. I want to try to follow hockey. I really, really do. But it's just too long of a season. Maybe next season

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to be a competitive track athlete, a swimmer & soccer player when I was much younger. Whenever there are meets & games on tv, I usually keep up no matter who is competing. Golf is a big part of my family. My dad, mom, 2 brothers & boyfriend are very much into golf. My first golf idols were Annika Sorenstam & Tiger Woods. Since their absence in golf became more often, golf became less exciting to watch.