To Indian Gag users, how do you feel about Apu from the Simpsons? Do you think he's an offensive stereotype?

I watched this "documentary" To Indian Gag users, how do you feel about Apu from the Simpsons? Do you think he's an offensive stereotype?
that basically talks about how Apu was the only western interpretation of Indian people we had for awhile before people like Kal Penn of Harold and Kumar fame made it. The guy in the documentary found it offensive for a long time and wouldn't let go of the fact that Hank Azaria, a white male, was voicing him and giving people in the West the wrong impression on how Indian people really are.

How do you feel about Apu?

108

Most Helpful Girl

• I have watched The Simpsons a bit a bit and I have got a glimpse of Apu's character.

I think the character wasn't offensive, but it was very stereotypical one. It perpetuated some stereotypes of Indian immigrants in USA. Personally, I laughed at times and cringed at it sometimes. But that's okay. I sure wasn't offended.

If people are relying on some cartoon character to make assumptions about an ethnicity, then I don't know what to say.

Most Helpful Guy

• It was stereotypical, and if Indian people were offended, then yes, he was offensive.

• Do you think it's offensive?

• do you think some of them were done in bad taste?

• I don't watch the Simpsons enough to have a fully formed opinion.