To Indian Gag users, how do you feel about Apu from the Simpsons? Do you think he's an offensive stereotype?

To Indian Gag users, how do you feel about Apu from the Simpsons? Do you think he's an offensive stereotype?
I watched this "documentary" To Indian Gag users, how do you feel about Apu from the Simpsons? Do you think he's an offensive stereotype?
that basically talks about how Apu was the only western interpretation of Indian people we had for awhile before people like Kal Penn of Harold and Kumar fame made it. The guy in the documentary found it offensive for a long time and wouldn't let go of the fact that Hank Azaria, a white male, was voicing him and giving people in the West the wrong impression on how Indian people really are.

How do you feel about Apu?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I have watched The Simpsons a bit a bit and I have got a glimpse of Apu's character.

I think the character wasn't offensive, but it was very stereotypical one. It perpetuated some stereotypes of Indian immigrants in USA. Personally, I laughed at times and cringed at it sometimes. But that's okay. I sure wasn't offended.

If people are relying on some cartoon character to make assumptions about an ethnicity, then I don't know what to say.

1|7
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It was stereotypical, and if Indian people were offended, then yes, he was offensive.

0|1
    0|0
    • Do you think it's offensive?

• Show All
    • do you think some of them were done in bad taste?

• I don't watch the Simpsons enough to have a fully formed opinion.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• Interesting that there are people that think apu actually is the primary β€œIndian” representative to most Americans. Shows you how some people can have such a limited view of the world around them when they are willfully ignorant.

1|1
    0|0
    • Well the guy in the documentary... i already forgot his name lol... brings up that when the Simpsons came out, Apu was the only representation we had for Indian americans for awhile during the 90's. definitely isn;t like that anymore

• Show All
    • Americans the average American gave very little exposure to American-Indian Culture and Indian culture in general.

• I can't type today. -. - You can believe what you want to believe but the reason why these stereotypes are so prevalent are that people have such little exposure to the culture.

• This has been a thing for a long time. He is a very offensive stereotype.

But I never really thought about it or knew this growing up, because I thought that was just how Apu was; I didn't make the connection to Indians.

I still watch and enjoy the show. Apu is Apu, not "the Indian guy".

0|1
    0|0
  • I think the Simpson's are equal opportunity offensive to everyone. It's funny and people need to stop being offended by absolutely everything

1|5
    0|0
  • Well I'm not an Indian and maybe I'm wrong but I think it's just a fictional character.. it was made to make people laugh and that's what it did.. nothing more to it

0|1
    0|0
  • Neither am I Indian nor have I ever watched the Simpsons. πŸ˜‚

0|2
    0|1
  • Are you Indian?

0|1
    0|0
  • He's just a character

1|2
    0|0
  • It's not that big of a deal. Idc.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lmfao

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• The problem with Hollywood is that they show indians as people religious beings with a oily skin and weird accent who are strongly bound by their cultural and traditional background which is true in case of most south indians (They are the most talented ones in India and they are generally the ones who emigrate from India about 70%) but not all indians (not even half of them)... so that's technically incorrect stereotype but it's funny rather than offensive.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know there is a lot of east Indians who work at convenience stores here. I doubt his character was created in an attempt to sterotype east indian people in general

0|2
    0|0
  • I still don't get why people take offence at fictional characters.

1|2
    0|0
  • Indian here. Never watched the Simpsons. And stereotypes are made to be offensive for fun. I don't mind though unless someone judged me based on that

0|1
    0|1
  • Is he a stereotype? I get that his accent is mocking but the character as a whole seams rather well fleshed out as an individual who happens to be Indian.

0|1
    0|0
    • It's a stereotype that 7/11 workers are primarily Indian. Among other things.

• I thought the Indian stereotype was the call center gag. The only Indian people in my area work at the same engineering firm as me or run a few restaurants (I think there are 3 Indian restaurants here). My dentist is of West Asian descent but as he has a South African accent so he's probably no more Indian than I am Irish.

• Oh there's multiple of them. But yeah there are a fuck ton of Indian tech support workers and it can be a pain in the ass when they have a thick accent and you just are trying to get basic help.

• People waste thoughts, time and energy on stupid shit like that.

This is how I feel about it.

1|1
    0|0
  • Neither am I Indian nor have I ever watched the Simpsons. πŸ˜‚

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes