Were Ross and Rachel on a break?

At the time, Ross mistakenly suspected that Rachel was having an affair with a co-worker of hers, Mark Robinson, and had subsequently frequently complained about how much time she had been spending away from him and with Mark. Eventually Rachel (who in reality only ever considered her relationship with Mark to be platonic and was unaware that he did indeed have a crush on her until he admitted as much to her in a later episode) became so frustrated with the amount of arguments she and Ross had been having over something that seemed so trivial to her that a fateful row with him ended with the following dialog:

Rachel: ... Maybe we should just take a break!
Ross: Ok, fine. Fine. Let's take a break. Let's cool off. Let's get some frozen yogurt or something.
Rachel: No! ... a break from us.

The couple separate immediately afterwards. Both Ross (in the same episode) and Rachel (at the beginning of the next episode) separately confess that the conversation construed a "breakup" and that their relationship is effectively ended.

After the breakup, Ross retreats to a bar, and eventually decides to telephone Rachel at her apartment and reconcile with her. However, by then Mark had called her and, hearing that she was upset after her fight with Ross, offered to come round her apartment and provide her with comfort. Overhearing his voice in the background, Ross mistakenly thinks he is there to have sex with her and angrily hangs up, convinced now his suspicions about her affair with Mark were right and his relationship with her is now over. Then the sum of his emotional vulnerability, alcohol and a promiscuous woman named Chloe causes Ross to have an affair. He does not learn that he had been mistaken in thinking Rachel had sex with Mark until the following morning, when he hears a message she left on his answering machine telling him she wants to reconcile with him.

So was it an affair or were they truly on a break?
  • Yes, they were on a break.
    Vote A
  • No, they weren't on a break.
    Vote B
  • Other
    Vote C
  • Results
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• They were on a break and were both aware of it, they just hadn't set any clear rules as to what was ok or not ok to do during the break. They were both wrong for assuming that they were on the same page: Ross by assuming it would be ok to fool around with others, and Rachel by assuming that it wouldn't be ok.
    This could have easily been solved if they had just COMMUNICATED. But they didn't. Ross stormed out when Rachel said she needed a break from them, and Rachel didn't say anything about what she expected from the break.
    This story arch has always annoyed the shit out of me because they were both too stubborn and proud to realize and confess that they were BOTH in the wrong. And Ross shouting "we were on a break!" every other episode is annoying as fuck too, because it literally means nothing in this context.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• The key to this is the next day, when Rachel asked if she could be his girlfriend "again", implying she used to be his girlfriend, but no longer was.

There is no such thing as "taking a break" in a relationship. You're either together, or not.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 11

• Yes, they were on a break.
    However, if Ross really loved Rachel he would have never went and slept with someone else so quickly. Plus, the whole thing could have been avoided if he would have just trusted Rachel in the first place. Sure, Mark had other intentions but nothing had happened between them and Rachel viewed him as nothing more than a friend.

I love Friends but this conversation gets me so heated lol.

2|1
    0|0
  • Then Rachel finds out about Ross sleeping with Chloe and flips out and says they weren't on a break but Ross says they were.

They were on a break. Rachel herself said they should take a break. Ross shouldn't have slept with Chloe but Rachel also has no right to be mad since she's the one who said to take a break.

0|3
    0|0
  • I don't think they were truly on a break. I think people say things they don't mean while mad and that they should have talked it over when things we less heated. Then if Rachel still said they were on a break it would have officially been a break.

1|1
    0|0
    • Ross wanted to get some "frozen yoghurt or something" to calm down but Rachel insisted on being on a break so if she didn't really mean it, she had the opportunity to calm down and talk to him about it.

• Show All
    • @heavensgift2girls If he really loved her he wouldn't have fucked the other chick break or not. I still don't think it was a break but whatever

• Having sex with another women is exactly what a guy that loved her would have done. That is the basics of breakups for guys 101. If a girl hurts a guy, he finds another girl, and has sex with her. He does this in the hopes that he can get over the girl that broke his heart faster that way. This is how a lot of guys in the pain act, and the more love he has for her, will only encourage this type of behavior.

I am not saying that it is a smart way to handle it, or that it is even a good way to handle it. In fact it is a terrible way to handle a breakup, but it is normal for heartbroken guys to do exactly what he did. It is not proof that he did not love her.

I could easily say that if she loved him she wouldn't have demanded a break, but that again would be unfair. People can love someone and still make terrible decisions. The both made bad decisions, stemming from poor communication, but it had nothing to do with not loving the other.

• Well, technically, they were on a break, but if you want to get back together with your girl, you don't sleep with another woman forst night after the breakup. You just don't.

3|1
    0|1
  • They were on a break, no question about it, but it doesn't make it less cheating. Being on a break doesn't mean the whole relationship disappears.

1|1
    0|0
    • Being able to see other people is the entire point of a break. Typically the one that suggests it already has someone they are looking to try out. Otherwise it isn't called a break, they just call it needing some space.

• From what I can tell it was a break. Rachel said they were on a break both agreed so they are both free to do whatever they want.

I also hated that show... all the characters were awful people.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes they were but he still shouldn't have slept with someone else

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes... no question.

0|1
    0|0
  • yes they were

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • They were on a break

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• are you following me? cuz I just watched the episode where they got back together on the beach and broke up again. stop stalking me.
    but yes they WERE on a break

0|1
    0|0
  • She said they should be on a break, and he agreed so they were on a break.

1|1
    0|0
    • Not really though because Ross storms out

• @A_fellah
      Both Ross (in the same episode) and Rachel (at the beginning of the next episode) separately confess that the conversation construed a "breakup" and that their relationship is effectively ended.

• Ah lol the 'we were on a break' they were but we know they are each other's lobster

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes they were.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes