Celebrity Activism: Is celebrity advocacy more beneficial to themselves than the cause?

Do celebrities take advantage of their celebrity status and fame to do good , because they genuinely want to make a huge difference for other people around the world?

Or

Do their impassioned pleas only serve their own adgenda - to promote themselves , and keep their name in the headlines?

1427

Most Helpful Guy

• It's both. Anyone can donate money anonymously and time outside of the limelight. Certainly some celebrities advocate for the sake of their own image. I'm also certain some know they have impressionable fans who might join their cause and use their popularity to achieve an end. There are a lot of issues slipping by unannounced because it doesn't suit the needs of the capitalists. Occasionally celebrities shed light on issues that the masses know nothing about to begin with. I really don't care who throws the switch, as long as we can see everything.

Most Helpful Girl

• Both. Would they be in this position if they weren't celebrities? Nope. Would they actually be going out of their way to be charitable if their acts of kindness went completely unnoticed? Like most acts of kindness are? I honestly don't think so. Would these "non-profit" organizations be reaching out to these celebrities, if they weren't famous and didn't have following? Probably not. What I'm trying to say is the only reason these organizations reach out to these celebrities is to benefit the cause. In reality, they don't care who about what the celebrity gets out of it (more popularity, a better image, a better night's sleep, etc)... as long as that celebrity promotes the cause. So... both.