Thoughts on today's mainstream music?

I personally hate it. I miss dance music like cascada era where you can jam out. Now it's all soft and little to no beat. Thoughts?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Lynard Synard, Ozzy solo, Black Label Society, Def Leppard, Queen, Quiet Riot, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top, anything newer is too new for my liking. People keep calling 10 year old songs old while I'm sitting here listening to it for the first time. Everyone of those bands added something to genre and influenced at least a little bit, music that would come later. You don't get that anymore. Everything is the same 4/4 time signature with no real deviation of the BOOM BOOM TEET beat. Every once in a while, someone turns up the bass and all of the sudden the bass is so awesome and groovy. You want awesome bass and overall instrumentation?
    https://youtu.be/RaRtXYSszsA
    Here you go

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Some I like some annoy tf outta me. Like the song wolves by Selena Gomez and some other dude, her part sounds very fucking repetitive and i have to skip the song whenever it comes on.

1|0
    1|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 21

• Majority of mainstream music has always sucked.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sigh it's just... it's deteriorated over time for the most part. There used to be certain standards for lyrics, but the actual music aspect was lacking, then there was what I generally consider to be the golden age of the 2000s where the lyrics were great and they had music/tunes to match... Now i feel like both the lyrics and the music have deteriorated drastically to the point where there are only a select few artists who do it right SOME of the time. (Ed Sheeran has some great stuff for example and even his bad stuff is better than the average of most other artists I've heard, but it doesn't change that his bad stuff still isn't great). It's like... I dunno I miss older music... not a whole lot older, but older none the less. I just find it kind of depressing when the only deep/relatable music on the market is literally about depression or broken relationships. I dunno I just feel like we ought to hold artists to a higher standard than we do rather than just say a popular artist is good. When an old song comes on the radio it hypes me up because it just sounds SO GOOD even if it's not that great of a song it's so much better than all the other popular stuff playing that I feel like it's great. Just my thoughts. I hope music gets better soon.

1|0
    0|0
  • I like the trending "bass" and "trap" music and beats, but I don't like that we've largely transitioned from singing vocals to rapping. With rapping, the objective is no longer to sound good, but to speak as quickly as possible while staying on topic and throwing in a few rhymes. I think it's pointless because it defeats the entire purpose of music--to sound good. I also hate that the lyrics are becoming so vulgar.

1|0
    0|0
  • I only listen to blues, jazz and classic rock, so mainstream music is not my cup of tea. My opinion is that, at least to me, mainstream music is of low quality both musically and artistically speaking.

1|0
    0|0
  • Musics you find in top generally suck execpt a few ones. But I think we got a lot of talent today since it's easier to make music and put it on the internet. That also mean we also have more shitty music xD

1|0
    0|0
  • I like some modern music (Meghan Train or!) but overall it doesn't remotely compare to Led Zep, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ACDC, Creedence Clearwater Revival... you see those live or on YouTube and they were and always will be insanely good...

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree, all I hear now is how "my lsd and cocaine are too weak" or "I broke up with my boyfriend" that's literally it. Bring back the fun stuff that has no meaning!!!

1|0
    0|0
  • Music is music. I find a lot of todays mainstream tracks are excellent chillout tracks.
    You just gotta keep different playlists for different moods :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Repeat after me, because you are ready for the magical incantations:

"Kids, these days!"
    "Git offa my lawn!"
    "Dang Kids!"

Those will now define your life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Rap? Although the lyrics and beats are art, i believe it to be the most base of entertainments.. N word, Bitches, A$$, Pu$$y, F''ing, Money and Weed. Mostly unchanging unvaried, not my thing,,,,

0|0
    0|0
  • We're doing just fine with music. People saying it's all crap are just looking at a very insignificant portion of "today's mainstream music".

0|0
    1|0
  • This music isn't made out of love to music it's made for the majority of people it's made to be liked money money money... Old music is the best

1|0
    0|0
  • It's always been pretty bad, I think what's made popular is stuff that fits into trends and I've always hated following trends. Makes me feel like a Dumbass sheep

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm going back to really old/not mainstream music. I hate mainstream anything

0|0
    0|0
  • It's always sucked lol

0|1
    0|0
  • I do like the beats in modern rap music

0|0
    0|0
  • New music makes old music get better and better

1|1
    0|0
  • I miss good old rock music.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah.
    2000s music was finest.

0|1
    0|0
  • It sucks bad, typically.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 4

• Depends on what mainstream your listening to. There are some bands/groups that have come out with some good dance music lately. There are also some songs that are really good.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know about the popular music but I hate how people have decided to dance. I will not bump and grind. I’d much rather waltz or tango or something pretty. Guess I’ll never dance lol I like some of the new songs out both country and pop.

0|0
    0|0
  • Music goes through trends which is good. It can help expand a persons interest from one genre to another.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love cascada she awesome , I love EDM , I also like mainstream music, Britney Spears, and others.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes