How do I read difficult texts/books?

I don’t know whether I have dyslexia or ADHD or whatever, but it’s really fucking hard for me to concentrate. I get extremely impatient when I read (I’m studying psychology so I have to read a LOT) and at the end I take unnecessary measures to finish my reading (staying up all night only to read a chapter, over analyzing certain references, etc.)

I’ve always had trouble focusing on one thing at a time but I can’t take it anymore. Has anyone experienced this? How do I understand difficult texts with lots of complicated words?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Dyslexia is a different story. People with dyslexia can’t concentrate because they have trouble reading. People with ADHD can’t focus, because of other problems.

0|0
    0|0
    • I also have trouble reading because I can’t understand some sentences/phrases, even if they’re explained to me.

Do you have solutions for this or are you here to talk about mental conditions? Smh

• Well, I can’t suggest anymore than working on your memorising skills. Try to remember as many words as you can that you find difficult to comprehend.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can totally relate... :/ I take Biology for my A Levels and you need to read and memorize a lot because of the facts and so on. I decided to just make notes of it, simplifying it using easier words. ^^;;

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• If you are not pressed for time, take a break. A rested mind is more efficient. As you study psychlogy, I feel a little surprised - you should have excellent access to solutions for your 'case'. Use your 'professional' connections, too.

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to be the same when I had a crappy diet full of sugars and bullshit. If that's not the case, you can read small amounts in short bursts, read while eating dinner, or read and then reward yourself some how.

You might also find it easier to read from kindle or ebooks.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• Yea that’s me I use a app to say words for me sometimes because I mute before! But I use a ball to sit on cause I am tactical learner

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it happens to me.
    I just read it very slowly and out loud sometimes.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes