Is it just me, or Today's modern music seem to lack actual talent?

Maybe I'm biased, because I had really cool parents who raised me on classic rock & 80s pop music. But I remember not too long ago, before 2010, chart-toppers had a lot of diversity. Nowadays music sounds irritatingly repetitive & like anyone can be a singer, because auto-tune fixes your voice. You can now use a computer to replace instruments as well, so no worries about bringing in your garage band skills either. Back in the day; pure, raw talent was necessary to go places. & each band had their own personal sound, you could distinguish each one from another. Not now though! Talent is either unimportant, unpopular, or watered down.
  • Modern Music is the FUTURE!!!
    Vote A
  • Oldies are the Goodies
    Vote B
  • I enjoy each era respectively.
    Vote C
  • I hate all music...
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• i don't think they lack talent. it certainly takes talent to sing, play a guitar, drums, keyboard etc.

i think there is more of a lack of artistic merit

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 32

• I feel like your opinion is mostly based on the chart toppers. But that has never really been the place to find better music.

Also I don't know what kind of music you're into but let me know and I might be able to recommend some good newer bands/artists.

3|0
    0|0
    • If I'm not listening to rock type genres, pop is also a fave genre of mine. I would appreciate suggestions, thank you. I have a bunch of New _____ genres saved on my Pandora playlist as well. I haven't listened to enough to hold favorites yet though, because I mostly set my Pandora to shuffle.

• Here's a possible start: royal blood, alt-j and welshly arms =]

• Royal Blood is the shit!! In a good way...

• I don't like the new music, just one deep bass drop is not enough. Smoking weed is not cool, screaming is not cool, and making new stupid words is not coll either. Few new songs are good but the rest is just blah

1|1
    0|0
    • They're just catchy. I do find myself singing along to some of the new stuff, but I don't really feel the urge to get to know who's behind the music anymore. If that makes sense. I remember being 13, without internet & hearing a song on the radio I really liked & I just HAD TO KNOW who made that pleasant sound in my ears. It was also a lot more fun to find bands/artists without the internet's help. It felt so much more satisfying discovering bands without google, easily compared to a treasure hunt.

• I do understand not being interested to find who is behind the music/song and you are totally right about just being catchy. I know there is new songs from music video sins channel on youtube. I do listen hip hop and rap, pop and rock even new ones but none of them makes me playing air guitar or sing along. I saw the SNL parody little pump, haven't seen the original but that was hilarious.

• I agree completely. I stopped listening to current music around 1993. I only listen to the "oldies" station that plays '70's and '80's music. My favorite, but I miss the '50's and '60's music they used to play too. I don't think I've ever heard a full song from Taylor Swift or Selena Gomez, but I'd like to hear them sing a song completely unplugged.

1|0
    0|0
  • You're absolutely right, there is no doubt about it most music today is garbage.

You should be proud that you're parents raised you right to appreciate good music.

And you should also be proud that you're so gorgeous.

1|0
    0|0
  • I agree 100% with you. I have a natural reason to like 70-80s music because that is what I was listening to in high school and college. 90s we're alright but new genres were coming up that where just not appealing to me and turned me away from new music. I still kept up. with new albums of old artists.

The WORST decade of music was 2000-2010. Music was not even music. I always put the main blame on APPLE and technology. This concept of selling one song and making big bucks on just one song KILLED the art of producing good albums and hence good ever-green music. There have been good acts coming up after that (mostly in country) but in general, it's the same new rubbish. Yeah we do move and shake to the Pitbull and FloRida kind of stuff but that is just for the clubs.

With all the great icons falling like 9 pins in the last 5-10 years, future looks bleak for the likes of us.

Just imagine: we'll be left with women like Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber to listen to (courtesy, our kids).

1|0
    0|0
  • i find that I like fewer and fewer new musicians but when I was younger I liked more and more musicians. i think that musicians today just copy what is popular to make a buck. and that with modern technology there is no need to develop their craft and find their unique sound. it's all about the money i guess and not the art. it's a freaking shame

1|0
    0|0
  • Modern music is the future but mainstream music of these popstars is typically untalented garbage since they often didn't write it themselves.
    Try this as its a very modern artist using his self made setup to produce entire albums live.
    https://youtu.be/JgYlsEbkEH8

0|0
    0|0
    • Here is one with his unique band.
      https://youtu.be/fYDRWqYAB4A

• Show All
    • I get it, but to discuss music in a broad forum you've got to leave subjective tastes at the door. There isn't anything intrinsically valuable about fewer people doing a thing than many. You have a subjective taste for multitalent and smaller groups. Improvisation is another example. You have subjective taste for the process that led to the creation, this says little about the value of the creation itself. This is the music crap people study in university. Think of it this way: if the earth were blown to smitherenes tomorrow and a bunch of music flash drives crash landed on some alien world, would these things we're discussing come into play as the aliens critiqued the music they were hearing? Likely not, they wouldn't know how the music was made or performed... they would just assess it. I think the vocal argument is a little stronger, I guess. Mind you, I am coming from a paradigm of 20/21 century recorded music, and I'm making that the forum, which itself is a subjective choice.

• So yay for music philosophy. Yay for knowing lots of things which means you actually know no things, or maybe there is nothing to know. I think I'll write a song about it and improvise on an improvised instrument. Yay music.

• Totally!!! And notice there are no lyrics either. Just the same phrase over and over again often. It's like song writers have given up or out of ideas or something? lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Country music used to be my favourite bur yea that era ended even before i was born

1|0
    0|0
    • I enjoyed country back in the early 2000s & past genres. Shania Twain being my go-to for karaoke. The new songs I can actually name are Blake Shelton's "Sangria", Luke Bryan's "Kick the Dust Up", Maddie & Tae "Girl in a Country Song". These songs sound like old-school country twang & have the story-telling quality that I used to enjoy with past country artists. One of my favorite country songs that always comes to mind when people ask, "Best I ever Had"-Gary Allen. Such a great song & a delightfully artsy video.

• Show All
    • Yea i know. Its the best way to pass the time well!!

• Follow for follow?

• Lack of talent stems from lack of money in the music industry I believe. Not giving a pass to the piss ass "artists" on the radio of today
    But BMG lost the G, yet kids bump their heads anyway
    I'm starting to sound like @paris13 no doubt
    Eh fuck it I'm about to be out. Peace.

0|0
    0|0
  • while my favorite band is modern (slightly) they tend to air towards actual instruments and non-modified vocals. And yeah the 70s were the high point of music for me, like even more than the 80s. Like almost every legendary rock artist of all time, in fact almost every legendary artist we all know flourished in the 70s

0|0
    0|0
  • Pop music is definitely trash. Some metal has been trash but I think metal is currently on a rebound. So that's good. Rap is getting worse somehow, didn't know it was possible... And does country still exist?

1|0
    0|0
    • I'm a metalhead but my main thing is the old school stuff. most newer metal stuff is too difficult for me to get into. pop isn't even music to me. and country turned to pop lol

• Show All
    • @themetalhead Punk rock from the late 70's and early 80's is what got me into metal. Crass, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Exploited. These bands moved me into thrash and hardcore which moved me into Nu-metal and into metal-core. ACDC isn't metal, even the band sait it themselves and i love those guys.

Oh and im not a fan of Metallica, never really was. i was always a Megadeth fan. Anthrax has a few good songs but for the most part i can't get into them and Sepultra never got to me either.

• yeah I know that not all metalheads are into metallica. especially from the experimentation that band did. AC/DC, I love them, even if they aren't metal, they did influence metalheads. but its true man, like thrash I've noticed is quite influenced by punk. I was surrounded by rock and metal my whole life, but when i was younger I had a punk phase, which has now turned into a thrash thing lol

• I find this post to be overly generalised and not true..

1|0
    0|0
  • With older music stuff is filtered by the test of time. There always was a lot of crap music, (especially in the 80s). Give it some time, and the good stuff will stay with us

1|0
    0|0
  • I think a lot of it has to do with playing live. Back in the 80s bands would play a lot more gigs to be discovered, now days you can pick someone out based on their image and use technology to make them sound good.

0|0
    0|0
  • Something we can all agree on:

https://youtu.be/BEk6r_jJF8Y

Yes perfect.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it does, unless you consider straight up ripping off older songs and abusing auto tune and lip syncing at most concerts.

0|0
    0|0
  • Playing the instrument -- while it can be impressive -- isn't really the spirit of the music is it? I used to be all about being in a band but being unable to find people locally that wanted to play the same stuff as me I got into electronic production. There's a lot of work that goes into production, trust. You have to essentially invent your instruments you're going to use, program them to sound right and interact properly and that's before the mastering process. I respect the talent required.

But ultimately music has never been about how well you play to me. It's what it means; the way abstract sound morphs into thoughtforms, regardless of how technical or minimalist it is. If you can take me to another planet using music then I couldn't care less how talented you are in any other aspect of music. We credit composers historically over the instrumentalists, no?

0|0
    0|0
  • Do you even search for good artist or just listen to the most mainstream and popular songs?

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm currently getting in tune with genres that are outside Today's Hits on my Pandora. New Indie, New Alternative, New Rock, etc. I will get back to you with which bands I like.

• I like older music i agree today's music lacks talent.

0|0
    0|0
  • You've got that right! No soul = piss pore performance. Today's fake and auto-tuned satanic inspired musicians will never sound as good as the bands before 1990. Witness:

Makem And Clancy - We've Come A Long Way
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWfSg_mWVSI

Steeleye Span - Montrose (long version with lyrics)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLce6Hi6gD0

Future Times / Rejoice - by Yes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M06rsoMYW8A

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Early mix
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2WNdOsaLc

0|0
    0|0
  • Mainstream music is all the same and has always been lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well there r some worthy bands but i agree with u

1|0
    0|0
    • Some being the key word, but it seems you have to stumble upon such bands. Rarely do I listen to an entire album of an artist I heard on Today's Hits radio. Unless I've already been listening to their stuff years back & they've been around.

• Show All
    • I have always enjoyed Fall Out Boy. Their comeback with "My songs know what you did in the dark" & "Uma Thurman" had me wondering why I ever doubted them. I still love how they continue to do their thing with lengthy song titles, as well.

• Haha i still can't get over The Last Of The Real Ones🤘

• The music you find more often on the radio? Yeah.

3|0
    0|0
  • I hate all music...

1|0
    0|0
  • You are right, most of the modern music is lame.

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah i agree with you.

0|0
    0|0
  • I enjoy almost all music.

0|0
    0|0
  • Post 2000 music is garbage.
    Mumbling into a microphone to a hiphop beat isn't music.

The only good music is 70's rock and early 90's rock/punk

1|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 17

• I voted C but only because I still find SOME quality in today’s music but mostly agree with you. My parents raised us listening to all sorts of music and I’ve come to really love most all of it. I can’t say that for most of the top radio hits of today.

1|0
    0|0
    • Most are assuming I hate ALL of today's artists. It's very rare that I absolutely hate a genre or particular artist. There are just some I favor more than others. I just noticed how I've started to listen to older bands more lately, because I crave the originality they held. Which there are many older bands/artists who are on today's hit list.

• Look I think the 2000s had objectively worse everything, but I do agree it was probably more memorable and fun. Current music is great, but like any decade you have to shuffle through a hell of a lot of bullshit to get to the good stuff. I think artists actually have to focus on making their identity more distinct nowadays since a lot of their marketing done by the band themselves. The other great thing is that since music can be distributed so easily, artists can be as crazy and experimental as they want, and you're more likely to find something that suits your taste. I used to also be relatively dismissive of the "garage band" style of creating music but I've learnt to really appreciate how brilliant some songs are, and how hard it is to do it properly. Any average joe can strum chords on their guitar but it takes a nuanced ear to pick out unique sounds and mix them properly. I think a big issue for a lot of people is that if you're not into hip hop, you're kind of missing out on the truly great music being made, which is a shame.

0|0
    0|0
  • I liturally just listen to anime music and vocoid English covers, because they actually have unique and meaningful lyrics unlike most of the boring mainstream stuff.

1|0
    0|0
  • There have been artificial sounds in music forever. Drums have represented everything from thunder to horses to god only knows what else.

And just because you’re unfamiliar with different artists and band doesn’t mean they’re all the same.

Everyone is entitled to their own musical preferences but its not right to say entire genres and times lack work ethic and talent just because you happen to dislike it.

0|0
    0|0
    • I didn't say there weren't any new talented artists. It just seems what is popular isn't. Their popularity seems to be how much drama is circulated around them instead of if they actually deserve the fame they're given. For example, I enjoy listening to Lady Gaga. She has proven to have a strong voice yet rarely do her songs showcase that. She's instrumentally gifted as well. I don't hate today's music at all. I enjoy listening to it when I'm in the mood to dance or just sing something catchy. But if I had to pick old music or new music, I'd pick oldies for sure.

• Her music is really diverse and interesting. I don’t know what you’re listening to of hers that’s letting you miss that

Once again it’s totally cool to like old music. It’s just not cool to say music you don’t like is bad

• Well personally I feel bad & good are very subjective. Hence this whole debate! What I find bad, someone else could find good. If people are insulted by my opinions, so what? There are more serious issues to be insulted about. I don't care if I insult a singer who causes my ears to wince either. I'm not their demographic, so they move onto who is.

• To be fair, there was always Amy of rubbish music back in the day, you just only remember the good stuff. The same will happen with today's music.

0|1
    0|0
    • I'm not saying there wasn't bad music way back when. The difference being between now & then, you don't often hear about the bad stuff. Because if a musician was utter shit or not very talented, they hardly got any recognition. Yet there are plenty of singer/bands today that aren't worth listening to, but for some reason still in business. Mostly because production companies care more about how a person looks & behaves rather than on their actual musical talents. That's just my opinion & observation though.

• I found some old music repetetive and with no actual melody. And I found some modern music too.

It's not that modern music is less talentes, it's because beautiful music artists are underated, and people nowadays are more after the beat to dance to than music to listen to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Auto tunes. Not all though. Some unknown singers who work hard to write their own songs and make music have to get credit and exposure for the mainstream listeners to know what good music is.

1|0
    0|0
  • I get what you are saying. I don't really like what's playing on the radio, but I've never really been in to pop music. Some are ok, and some I did like, but in general it's a pass. There are a few newer artists that blend some oldies and evolve it into something new. I think that's pretty neat.

0|0
    0|0
  • The '80s is music's best decade. Many of what you hear nowadays were revived as new renditions from the '80s.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like a few of the songs on the radio nowadays but like 99% of them are so annoying and bad.

1|0
    0|0
  • Garbage is Universal my guy. Everything we have from the 50s 60s 70s and 80s is all a "best of" collection not a real representative of the period.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm biased on this one as well lol
    I just like my music like I like my men

Old

Kidding of course
    Lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Some are talented. But most of them aren't. Too much autotune, and they all sound the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • "Those artists are a manufactured biproduct from the bloated corporate music industry"

0|0
    0|0
  • i like older music, 80's specifically

0|0
    0|0
  • the old stuff is awesome

0|0
    0|0
  • 100% agree! It's definitely more about marketing a person based on their ability to entertain, rather than musical talent.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes