How can I find motivation to write again?

I used to write fanfiction (Yawn) all the time and take requests, but I stopped because I lost motivation. I feel that writing is a pointless hobby and that I am wasting time. I became quite popular on certain websites where I posted my stories.

How can I get back into it? I posted a request update so people can tell me what they would like me to write about and such, but how do I actually GET myself to do it? I think it derives from lack of ideas, and constantly questoning my decisions. (Do I really want my character to say this? Do I really want them to go to this destination? Do I want to make this change? Is this too cliche? etc.)

I used to love posting my writing because the feedback made me feel so so happy. It actually relieved my depression slightly. I love the feeling of people enjoying my work. But, I can't seem to get myself to actually come up with ideas and do it. I feel as if I am a failure.
Thanks in advance!

Also, just for fun:
Do you like to write?
Do you write fanfiction?
Where do you typically submit your work?
Where do you find inspiration or motivation?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• If you suffer from depression it's entirely normal to lose interest in things which were once passions of yours. Depression often focuses resources elsewhere, leaving little for creative energy. There are different phases of depression too. The more volatile phases lend themselves more to creativity. The more flat phases really do not.

Don't push yourself into something if you aren't feeling it. Creativity at gunpoint doesn't work. Don't think that you'll never do it again though either, just accept that maybe now is not the time.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Start reading again. Read new things. Read different things. Expose yourself to different styles and genres.

Also: stop worrying about it. You are worsening your writer’s block.

At some point, the only way through writer’s block is to just sit down and write. No excuses. Just do it. NaNoWriMo taught me that words don’t always come naturally. You MAKE them come.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 25

• Did you make money off your writing? What you if writer are you?

There are 2 types of writer for fiction, the planner and the inspired. Most writers fall into a spectrum between the 2 types.

The planner would plan ahead with a rough shape of the world building of his novel, the twists and turns off the current Arc of the story. His characters are like little figurines that he would move around and react to his master plan of the story. He would question what his character would do in that situation and create stories and personalities out of it. Then he flesh out the whole thing with dialogues and other stuff that present his style.

The inspired is a more "just write it" type. He keep writing stuff without any plan at all and make things up as they come along. So he would jog down whatever inspires him and reuse whatever stock scenes that came to his mind or do some revelation or crazy ideas.

If you read manga, I would recommend reading Bakuman. A story about people who draw and write manga for a living. There are a lot of stuff they do that could give writers ideas on how to plan ahead.

Techniques like re-reading your own stuff and find something in there to make a flash back and foreshadowing and create a whole new twist to the story.

Stuff that you create a story and find the reasons for why the antagonist would do the things in your story. Or maybe reveal something that would be so crazy that would turn your whole story around.

1|0
    0|0
  • I find it much easier to write short stories than to write something long.

I like to base characters' personalities off people I have met/known in real life. That makes it easier to decide what they will do and how they would react in a particular situation.

1|0
    0|0
  • I dunno how to help motivate you. Maybe try to imagine your favourite characters in certain situations?

Anywho, yes I love to write. I'm writing my own fantasy book and just recently posted my first fanfiction as well. And I suspect submitted it on fanfiction net. I'm also on wattpad but completely inactive there.

1|0
    0|0
  • I go to writing group on Thursdays to get new ideas and different points of view. There are apps and websites that have writing ideas and hints.

Maybe right about something absolutely random and see what happens. Like why are crows going into this abandoned building.

1|0
    0|0
  • I've been asking myself this too, I take a writing class so that keeps me busy for the time being. But I guess I have to decide wouls I rather play a pointless video game for an hour or write something that could get lots of attention and take me places. The problem is I dotn see money in it for the time being so I don't wanna fate my time. (Sorry this didn't help, maybe make a schedule where you dedicate 15 minutes each night then you'll eventually wanna go for longer and longer)

1|0
    0|0
  • I used to write poetry and songs when I was younger but it just stopped outta the blue. I write about stuff everyday and/or I'll have my voice recorder and record things on there. You have to just keep writing and worry about editing later. Every time sometime comes to your mind write about it... even if you doesn't seem interesting. Write about what goes on around you... start with something small and work your way up. I'm in the process of writing a book.

0|0
    0|0
  • What? No don't do that lol. I'd probably even subscribe to your fanfiction. You're a step up on me. I've been 'writing a book' for like 2 years now and still at the same page I left off at 2 years ago 😂 With all the time I spent gaming in that time, I could've finished like 20 books. That's the worst feeling

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe find a writing partner? That might inject some fresh into your writing process.

Another option is to copy out other people's stories. I have wanted to do this for a while, but haven't. I figure you might learn a thing or two.

Or just write for 5 min. a day. About whatever. Could help you to let go.

0|0
    0|0
  • Writing prompts are brilliant for writing. Something to really make your creative side bubble. There are so many online and you can take them in any way you choose. Anything that inspires you, don't hesitate to take out a pen and write. Keep a note pad and pen in your pocket so that you can make notes that might help.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol u should start to observe people around u a lot n think urself watch movies read books automatically u will start writing urself I said I would help u long back but u didn't listen ping me in message

0|0
    0|0
  • Did you run out of stories to write? Maybe you just lost motivation because you can't think about anything new to write about. How about you try thinking of new ideas and maybe you'll regain motivation, because creativity is key. Good luck 👍

0|0
    0|0
    • And for the second part of the question, I don't typically write fan fiction 😭

• I have the same problem. I like to write too. I have total of about ten stories (many of them are connected) that I didn't finish. I already had the timeline of events all figured out, but I just can't bring myself to finish it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe find something new to write? Or maybe if you can't get yourself to write find a completely different hobby? :3
    Drawing? Or a sport? Or an instrument? ^_^

0|0
    0|0
  • That sounds interesting, but since you feel that way are you sure its your real passion? If not you probably just were interested in it for a short term

0|0
    0|0
  • Write a fiction book about my life, it will be most interesting book to ever be read and an antarctican best seller.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do it on a nice keyboard or with a nice pen. It'll feel pleasurable

1|0
    0|0
  • Set aside time each day or each week to write. Stick to it, regardless. Convince your brain that either you will write or sit there and do nothing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never read or wrote fanfiction but if it is something you enjoy font give it up write something you feel strongly about some inspiration could be a special bond like what you feel when you're where your ring inspired by your mom sorry didn't mean to bring that up without your permission but yea. something think about something that brings out a lot of emotion in you and put your own spin on it and maybe turn it into a fanfiction. also id love to check out some of your work your would be the first fandiction I ever check out and oleae don't feel like a failure your a good person and have a lot of heart plus you've helped me out before so ill help you come up with ideas if you want two heads are better than one as they say haha🙂

0|0
    0|0
  • Everything is pointless, if you decide for it to be so. No thing has fundamental value.

Writing can be hard, there is so much to think about in relation to others, especially if you try to make as humane characters as possible, but each mistake you notice is a thing learned. No one is born a blacksmith, it's up to you to decide what has value and what you want to do.

Will yourself to your pen, if you notice that you are stuck in a rut, skip over if possible, continue writing the story and come back to it later.

0|0
    0|0
  • You just wrote this question

1|0
    0|0
    • Not what I meant 😂

• Do you like to write? Yeah
      Do you write fanfiction? Maybe
      Where do you typically submit your work? GirlsAskGuys
      Where do you find inspiration or motivation? Don't know, just happens

• More from Guys

What Girls Said 5

• Writing is NOT a wasted hobby, but fanfiction is. You should create your own characters, your own setting. Also, when you go to college, I STRONGLY encourage you to major in creative writing (like I did) or at least take some creative writing classes.

1|0
    0|0
    • Do you like the writing classes you take? I often feel pressured if I take certain classes (that probably sounds weird and doesn't make much sense, but 😂)

• Show All
    • That's amazing !! I will definitley consider it :)

• I'm a Writer as well but I never publish my work (not because I'm insecure just because I only write for me and sometimes my best friend) I write really long stories and Fanfiction (I can't do short, even when I try to) I have ideas constantly and I can't keep up with them. Daily Life, The Internet inspires me

1|0
    0|0
  • My sister has a similar problem she loves it bit it comes in spells sometimes she has no ideas sometimes her confidence is down but she always goes back to it good luck x

0|0
    0|0
  • I also kinda lose a motivation for writing. I don't know what happens to me.

0|0
    0|0
    • U should be actively moving in real public n places then u will get morivation

• I often find my inspiration to write in the most random of places. I will turn to someone and say, “give me a random sentence please?” And they usually do so then I turn around and turn it into a story... :)

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes