How can I find motivation to write again?

I used to write fanfiction (Yawn) all the time and take requests, but I stopped because I lost motivation. I feel that writing is a pointless hobby and that I am wasting time. I became quite popular on certain websites where I posted my stories.

How can I get back into it? I posted a request update so people can tell me what they would like me to write about and such, but how do I actually GET myself to do it? I think it derives from lack of ideas, and constantly questoning my decisions. (Do I really want my character to say this? Do I really want them to go to this destination? Do I want to make this change? Is this too cliche? etc.)

I used to love posting my writing because the feedback made me feel so so happy. It actually relieved my depression slightly. I love the feeling of people enjoying my work. But, I can't seem to get myself to actually come up with ideas and do it. I feel as if I am a failure.
Thanks in advance!

Also, just for fun:
Do you like to write?
Do you write fanfiction?
Where do you typically submit your work?
Where do you find inspiration or motivation?

626

Most Helpful Guy

• If you suffer from depression it's entirely normal to lose interest in things which were once passions of yours. Depression often focuses resources elsewhere, leaving little for creative energy. There are different phases of depression too. The more volatile phases lend themselves more to creativity. The more flat phases really do not.

Don't push yourself into something if you aren't feeling it. Creativity at gunpoint doesn't work. Don't think that you'll never do it again though either, just accept that maybe now is not the time.

Most Helpful Girl

• Start reading again. Read new things. Read different things. Expose yourself to different styles and genres.

Also: stop worrying about it. You are worsening your writer’s block.

At some point, the only way through writer’s block is to just sit down and write. No excuses. Just do it. NaNoWriMo taught me that words don’t always come naturally. You MAKE them come.