Death Note: Was the Anime series better or the Movie?

So I'm a huge fan of death note. I started watching the movie first and oh boy I thought it was a masterpiece. Now my brother insisted that I watch the Anime series... Once I watched it, at first I found it really slow and kinda predictable, later I couldn't go to bed without watching at least an episode of Death Note. Bottom line, I loved❤ it and ended up hating the movie. Please don't tell me that it's old and blah blah blah cause I already know, but I like watching old shows just because I can😏😉... Any thoughts on which one was best and why?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't try to make yourself special because you watched an anime.

Firstly, this anime is ranked as #1 in popularity, so you can imagine that you neither are the first nor the last person to watch it. It's a classic. Moreover, you may be interested in knowing that 2006 is everyting but old when it comes to anime. Many of the most famous ones started in the 90's and some of them are still being released on a weekly basis.

I don't mean to be rude, it's great that you liked this anime, but you calling it "old" and trying to look special triggered, honestly, me a little.

As for your question the anime is obviously the best. I haven't read the manga, but probably than many would agree on that for the best one.

0|0
    0|0
    • Jeez dude, you probably didn't want to sound rude but you just put a knife in my heart with that comment🙃. I'm not trying to sound special, if anything I'm really excited I got to watch an awesome show. It's hard finding great shows these days, so yeah forgive me for being excited. Sorry if it triggered something in you when I called it "old" but out here in the real world, when I tell people that I just finished watching Death Note, they say and I quote, " isn't that show extremely old, it came out ages ago", so I jus didn't want to hear it out here as well... Anyways moving on, everyone says the manga is great. I think I'll give it a try as well.

• Well, I genuinely apologise for how rudely I answered to you ! You clearly didn't deserve any of my anger !

I'm always happy to talk about anime, japan, manga and such, so I'd be happy to recommend Parasyte (another anime) if you liked Death Note. Although the plot are completely different, both anime tends to make you think thoroughly about death, life, your place in the society, ... You may appreciate that one !

And the people who call those masterpieces old, fuck'em ! ;)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 25

• The movie suffered from the same thing all the bad anime movies tend to: they're catering to the wider audience than just the fans, in an attempt to make new fans. You said it yourself, you hadn't seen any Death Note before the movie, and you initially enjoyed it. It was a gateway to the source material for you. There are at least two Death Note movies from Japan that are, in my opinion, better Death Note tellings, but the simple fact is that the broad audience doesn't want to watch "a book", as I've seen people criticize subtitles before.

Is the movie a bad version of the Death Note story? Sure, absolutely. Is it a bad thing to exist? Not really, because it did its job and created at least one fan of the source material.

Fwiw, that's why I can abide The Last Airbender movie, in spite of the fact that it's just simply awful for people who have seen all the books. DragonBall Evolution, however, gets no such pass, because the only reason some of the cast agreed to it was so that their characters weren't portrayed by people who DIDN'T love DBZ.

0|0
    0|0
  • The movie was terrible. Especially in comparison, Death note was a deeply complex mental battle between geniuses rife with tension and mystery. The intellect and devastation were phenomenal up until the very end where it gets kinda stupid.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never saw the Japanese live action movies, but from what I've heard, they were pretty decent. The American adaptation was terrible. Didn't like what they did to the characters. The anime was great. Great animation, acting was good, amazing soundtrack. That manga was just as great. Felt it was well written and drawn.

0|0
    0|0
  • THE ANIME SHOW...
    Better expressions...
    Better action...
    And super cool animation of characters... from sweet guys to badass dudes...
    Also, I still listen to the soundtracks...
    ❤❤❤💀

0|0
    0|0
  • The anime was best because it depicted light yagami as this super genius who is fearless and rising to power. When confronted with L, he refuses to give up and always tries to strategically outdo him. The movie seriously butchered the show in my opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime. The movie was garbage for anyone with any semblance of knowledge of the original work.

0|1
    0|0
  • I haven't seen the anime, but most if the time when a movie is created base off an anime, the anime is much better.

0|0
    0|0
  • I haven't seen the movie, but I can't imagine the movie being better. Some things are just better off as animes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime was far superior. The movie suffers the same thing that book adaptations do, they try to take a lot of interesting content and then abridge it. You lose a lot when you do that.

The anime shows the very human transition of a young, smart, well intentioned young man and the path that takes him down the road if darkness. It's a very clever play/counter play between two highly clever people.

The non-Netflix two part movie was quite good though. It took liberties where needed and I thought they pulled it off perfectly.

The Netflix movie just doesn't capture what Death Note really was. It's some kid who falls for a basic bitch who doesn't have anything going for her except her looks. She only gives a damn once she realizes what he can do for her, but ultimately betrays him for it. It's almost like it's MGTOW propaganda.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the anime is better. The anime has a way bigger plot and story. The movie leaves out a lot of information

0|0
    0|0
  • the movie on Netflix is a piece of shit and, needs to be erased. and, anyone who likes it should be ashamed of them selves!

0|0
    0|0
  • I couldn't survive the movie for more than 10 minutes. Anime was epic.

0|0
    0|0
  • The anime was the best cause the over all tone of the show was a mystery you never knew what was going to happen and the characters in the show we're cold and showed rather different personalities from one another. Light being heartless and unfeeling. Misa the bubblely girl who just loved light for him and what he did she was not a psycho that cared more about killing than he did. And then there is L he was smart calm collected never let his emotions get the better of him. Vs how the movie was it was complete crap but how the actor played riuk was fantastic I was actually terrified of him and he played him wonderfully to a T

0|0
    0|0
  • anime better hands down... better yet : read the manga

0|1
    0|0
  • the manga is always better, the anime is good rarely better, the movie will always be an abomination

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't like the movie mainly cause I was a big fan of the anime

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime... if you watched the whole thing you would know. First season best second season ok

0|0
    0|0
  • The anime

1|0
    0|0
    • What's your reason?

• The movie doesn't really stay true to the anime much. It kind of got modernized in setting.

• The Netflix movie is hilariously horrible

0|0
    0|0
  • All hail to Anime serious

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime was the best.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime. Only anime I ever watched and it was cool.

0|0
    0|0
  • The original work (the manga) is better.

0|0
    0|0
  • never seen either of them

0|0
    0|0
  • Anime

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes