Being yourself?

Why do we tell people that are clearly unhappy with who they are to 'be themselves'. If that person wants to change themselves and become who they desire to be why do we discourage it? If it's a positive change why can't we except it and except that maybe the person they want to become is who they really are?

22

Most Helpful Guy

• The point is that you can't become someone else, you can only ever be a version of yourself. Even in improvement you are aiming to be the best version of yourself, not a shadow of someone else.

• I never said becoming a shadow of someone else. But if people aren't happy with who they are, why deny them the chance to become someone they are happy being? It doesn't mean they're copying someone else, I mean just ditching the old them and being someone new.

• You cannot become someone else and hence all you will ever be is a poor shadow of someone else. You can only be version of yourself, from your worst to your best. You can learn new skills, boost your confidence, change your look but you'll still be you. If you ditch the old you then you become the new you. The common factor is YOU. Hence you will be being yourself.

• I don't mean to copy someone else or live like someone else.

Most Helpful Girl

• THIS IS CONFUSING, DONT KNOW MYSELF ANYMORE