Am I doing something wrong or is this just as bad as I always thought it was (video rendering)?

I've lately been putting a lot of time into learning it and when I do short previews for the different effects that I like to test out, the rendering takes insanely long. For example, I 30 second video will take more than an hour to render. (rendering in 1440p, 59,94fps). Are there certain things that heavily affect the time that the render takes? I use Sony Vegas 14 and I'd say that my rig is fairly decent. Really feel dumbfounded by this and would like some answers.

03