Is DnD supposed to be a game that reflects the dungeon master's life opinions and belief?

So I played dnd with a bunch of friends for the first time last week and basically our goal was to get some money and win a race. Maybe the route we took to get the money was not that ethical, including lying to other people and stealing. Basically dungeon master failed us every time we took an 'unethical' path and we gotta find other ways around. After the game the dungeon master got a little upset and he basically told us if we want to keep playing dnd with him, we need to act in a legal/ethical manner in the game, do right things and not be an anti hero. I found it not fun bc it was just a game and I wanted to use my imagination regardless of if it's good or not. It's just my character and I m not doing anything bad in real life. So, should I insist my thoughts or should I just give in because that's how the game works (we need to agree with the dungeon master)? Thank you!

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• D & D is for losers.

I played it once in 1981and thought "What? No real rules? You make it all up? A fucking dungeon master?"

My two buddies and I gave up after 30 minutes because it was so fucking stupid.

1|0
    0|0
    • I can't believe there was dnd back then ! but yeah I have the same feeling , it's so subjective and I feel uncomfortable to be 'punished' by doing something DM doesn't like

• Show All
    • I was 18, a senior in high school, when we attempted to play it. I haven't touched it since. I had a girlfriend. Why bother wasting my time on "quests" when I can make-out?

• exactly :)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• The DM really does have the final say but that sounds a little cheap to me. Maybe find a better DM.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I feel he is too serious and basically judging us

• The whole point of DnD is to make the adventure your own. If he wants a linear path, tell him to watch a movie.

• That's just being a bad Master. The Alignment if your character is chosen at the start. If you decided to be Chaotic Evil and started acting like a Lawful Good, that's when I punish you.
    And I'll add, there are different ways to play the same alignment; for example, a friend of mine and I both had a LG character during a game, but while he played it as a compassionate character, I played it more as a Fascist Priest who did not approve Evil cults and criminals.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think you need to find a different dungeon master, because while that is what they can do, it's much better letting the characters do things that are a little out of the box, after all, the story is not just them but the PCs too.

1|0
    0|0
  • A session of DnD is whatever the DM prepares and whatever diversions the DM let's the players have.
    Not all DMs give their players enough freedom, I prefer the mantra of complete freedom with somewhat realistic consequences.
    The main problem with the game is that often only one person in a given group wants to be the DM, and since nobody else wants to do the work, you can easily get stuck with a bad DM.

0|0
    0|0
  • You should have a session zero where all expectations are discussed before the adventure begins.
    If the players don't want to play in the kind of adventure the DM wants to run, it would be better to find a different DM/players.
    And players should discuss the kind of PCs they want to play so the other players are compatible with each other too.
    Unless it is a one shot, then it doesn't matter much.

0|0
    0|0
  • The story the Dungeon master chooses can be whatever. If you don't like the campaign then just quit playing with them. The DM can just make up some wack shit story to say that you died in game.

1|0
    0|0
  • You have a crappy DM. Get someone who wants to please his players instead of one who wants his players to please him

1|0
    0|0
  • don't think so much! do what u feel is right! if people think it is wrong that is their problem!!

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

Recommended myTakes