What do you think of all the fan outrage surrounding the FANTASTIC BEASTS sequel?

It seems many fans are outraged over this movie that hasn't come out yet. First, they are furious that Johnny Depp is still playing Grindelwald, after being accused of domestic abuse by his ex Amber Heard -- allegations which have never been proven and which everyone who knows Johnny personally seems to reject. Of course, in the #MeToo era, an accusation can be reason enough to fire someone.

Fans were even more shocked and disgusted to learn that Dumbledore's homosexuality won't be a plot point of the new film. While J. K. Rowling has confirmed Dumbledore as gay in various public statements, his sexual orientation will not be explored in this movie. Fans have denounced the decision as cowardly and homophobic. My own feeling is, there are three more sequels coming after this one, so it's a little early to get butt-hurt.

Do the fans have a point or are these trivial things to get so upset about?
  • What do you think of all the fan outrage surrounding the FANTASTIC BEASTS sequel?The casting of Johnny Depp is problematic!
  • What do you think of all the fan outrage surrounding the FANTASTIC BEASTS sequel?Neglecting Dumbledore's gayness is problematic!
  • What do you think of all the fan outrage surrounding the FANTASTIC BEASTS sequel?They're BOTH problematic!
    Vote C
  • What do you think of all the fan outrage surrounding the FANTASTIC BEASTS sequel?NO, all this fan outrage is B. S.
    Vote D
  • See results
    Vote E

32

Most Helpful Girl

• In my opinion, being a huge fan of HP, I am not outraged at all - mostly because it was pretty clear from the get go that Amber Heard was (and still is, I'm sure) a manipulative, lying piece of 'actress'...
    So I am all for the truth - and Depp isn't a problem in any way here.

The Dumbledore thing IS definitely weird... I see a lot with J. K. Rowling she likes the shock factor/diversity (so to speak) of a character being gay, but she doesn't like actually depicting it... which is extremely strange to me - but I guess to each their own.

Most Helpful Guy

• What's problematic is that this is basically the representation of our current society in general... Everyone needs to be offended by something, and if they can't find anything offensive in something, then they make up a reason!