How much layers/what should I wear when camping outside and the temperature is just bellow freezing,?

Im gonna be camping this weekend with friends and I need to know what to wear/how much blankets jackets to bring. Its supposed to be freezing, or just bellow freezing, and I really don't wanna freeze to death. Have any of you been camping, or live in a cold climate? Whats your experience?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Bring more clothes than you think you need. Bring at least couple layers of long johns/thermal underwear, wool socks, warm shoes, couple layers of gloves, warm hat.. Overall you should have at least 3 layers especially if you're staying still. If you have extra you can always put on more (so always have extra) + you'll have blankets and hopefully a warm sleeping bag with you so you should be fine.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• why would u go camping in below freezing weather!!!
    thats insane lol

0|0
    0|0
    • we have been planning this for a while and its a good opportunity since its 4 day weekend

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• The number of layers doesn't matter as much as the quality of those layers. Separating yourself from the ground is important. If you can get a cot or a sleeping pad that will help a lot. If you have a good sleeping bag and a mummy style bag inside of it you could get away with sleeping nude. If you have poor quality sleeping bags you're not going to stay warm, even with layers of clothing.

0|0
    0|0
    • That's a good point! It's good to have some camping chairs for hanging out to stay away from the cold ground. You can usually get them pretty cheap.

• Considering you have no idea what you are doing I seriously advise against this. You are going to die. Seriously. Blankets? You need a nice winter sleeping bag for freezing weather camping. You need thermal underwear and wool socks. You need a real winter jacket not "jackets". I hope you're not attached to to all your fingers and toes because that's usually where the frostbite strikes first. That and your ears and nose

0|0
    0|0
    • She's from Canada so it's around 0 celsius not fahrenheit, that's not that bad really..

• Show All
    • "What to wear/How much blankets jackets to bring" she said blankets not I. Camping in freezing weather is 100% of the time life threatening. If you don't have the right gear you will get hypothermia and die.

• Again, you're assuming things -.-... Blankets are most often used as just extra warmth when hanging out. Sleeping is not their only function. She didn't say anything about how they're sleeping.

• Layer up, you can always remove some if needed. Also a good idea to change everything before going to bed. Clothes get damp and will make you cold while sleeping. Also make sure you pee before bed cause that will make you cold too

1|0
    0|0
  • I live in the north-west and it's usually smart to wear up to three layers if you aren't from around there. I mean, I can handle the cold with only one layer, but I'm not sure where you are from so to be safe just layer up and bring blankets.

0|0
    0|0
  • Make sure your sleeping bag is a mummy bag rated to 0°, as opposed to 32°. Wear synthetic long underwear. Avoid cotton or polyester

1|0
    0|0
  • 2 or 3.. when I was a kid I'd been to Alaska... My nose was totally numb and the blood from it literally felt like just a running nose

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Are you crazy?
    But, if you must, numerous layers of under armor!!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes