In chess, stalemate shouldn't be a draw. The one who put the opponent in stalemate should win. Agree?

For those who do not know: Stalemate is like checkmate. Checkmate is when the king is in check and it has no more possible moves to not be in check anymore. Stalemate is the same, except that the king is not in check, but it will be in check for any possible move, so this ends the game.
I believe the one who put the opponent in a stalemate should be the winner. Because it is not different from a checkmate at all. In both ways the king is trapped and unable to make any legal move.
  • I agree. The one who has given the stalemate should win. (state why)
  • I disagree. It should be a draw. (state why)
  • No opinion/results
    Vote C

221

Most Helpful Guy

• Negative. Checkmate & stalemate are not the same, or even similar. If you're not superior enough to actually place your opponent in check, you don't get to claim victory. Stalemate is a failure of both players to neutralize their opponent's threat and failure to capitalize on their own threat. You don't "place an opponent in stalemate" any more than you place yourself in stalemate. In which case, by your ignorant argument, you've beaten yourself as much as you've beaten your opponent, so stalemate is therefore equivalent to concession. Grow up. Learn to play better chess, and stop arguing to change the rules so you can continue being lazy or ignorant.

• I liked this at first, then you turnt into a little shit. No idea why you're so mean to her over thinking something, but perhaps you should grow up.

• Y'all need to get a room or something!

Most Helpful Girl

• Stealing from another person, you don't put the king in any danger, why would the king ever move to put himself in danger? If you're not able to tactically put someone in a place where no matter what they do, they're in danger, then you didn't really outsmart them.
    Stalemate also offers the losing person a chance at redemption, as once they get put on the losing side they may have been into a situation where the king is their only piece left. But because they can trigger a stalemate, it gives them an opportunity to not lose by seriously outsmarting the opponent.